Any Update on Selecting Template first and then Signup for a site?

Hello,

Any chance of selecting theme first and GO to signup later?

Just like wordpress.com or any other good website builders are offering?

It's a mandatory thing, which we can't just ignore. I' waiting for this from last one and half year and still there is no update about this.

Some one will come to the site, check templates if they like any and if they like anyone, they will just start the signup with that particular template in their mind.

Please Support, Can someone give me a way to do this?

P.S : Please don't forward me to WPMU Jobs or tweaky. I'm just waiting for a seamless integration with new blog templates and that too from WPMUDEV support.

thanks.

• webmaharaj
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

A way to do this lile, sitename.com/wp-signup.php?template=templatename should be fine to start with. No need to new blog templates display all the templates before signup.

If we can just remember the selection from link until the next step.and auto select that template, that will be fine.

Please, give me a way to do this.

thanks

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @webmaharaj.

I've been talking to another colleague about this feature and we have decided to develop it very soon. The idea is the next one:

- In order to show a templates showcase we'll add a new option in NBT settings that allows you to select a page where to display a showcase of templates.

- If the user goes to signup page and there's not a ?template=templatename variable, he will be redirected to that page.

- If the user clicks on "View demo", a bar on the top will display a button in order to select that template and the user will be redirected to the signup page.

There's not an easy way to customize even more the signup page, WordPress is a little strict with that page without use more custom coding but we're trying to make a feature so every user can make use of it in their themes.

What do you think?

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• webmaharaj

Hello Ignacio,

thanks for the response.

1) Yes, a page like 2, 3, 4 column grid portfolio type all available new blog templates display with categories will be a good idea.

2) Okay. If someone visited the signup page without templatename variable in the url, the default template should be selected automatically. There are particular cases, when we need to skip template selectuon in the first place. ( few types of landing pages )

3) Yes, this is perfect. All new blog templates blog should be displayed inside theme demo bar, just like everyone else in the market is doing. A way to modify the button text will be very cool.

4) An option to theme selection first or later option will be very good i think. And diving template selection from signup page will be good idea i think. LIke, first signup, in special next page, template selection ( or ) template selection first, in next page wp-signup.php?template=templatename second step.

Also, very soon means? I want to implement it in my current project. Every client of mine has asked it and the current client has this in top priority.

Please give me an update & time frame about this. Also I will be like a tester to test this in beta modes.

thanks.

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @webmaharaj.

Here's the first plugin beta.

First of all, you'll see a new setting in the plugin settings where you can select "showcase" as templates selection. You'll need to create a new page for that. Shortcodes here weren't going to work very well as we need to know if the user needs to be redirected or not before the page is loaded.

You'll be able to set the button text, overlay color and thumbnails width.

The setting is also compatible with categories toolbar.

So, here is how it works:

- If the user goes directly to the signup page it will be redirected to the showcase page unless you set a default template in which case, the default template will be selected.

- The user can select "Just a username" in the showcase. In that case, the blog creation option will be hidden in signup page.

Signup page is not very customizable so this is the best solution that we could think about.

Still pending the "Select this template" button on top when the user clicks on "View Demo".

Thanks for testing!

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• webmaharaj

Hello Ignacio,

I'm glad to see the progress.

I think the selection of template is not applying. It's just registering with default template and not our choice.

Using remove verification & password selection plugins will effect the template selection?

thanks and please check if there is any issue in the beta.

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @webmaharaj.

If you want the same theme being activated when you select the template you'd need to check "WordPress Settings, Current Theme and Active Plugins" in wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=blog_templates_main&t=1

New Blog Templates just copy whatever you have checked in that screen.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• webmaharaj

ohh sorry. My mistake :slight_smile:

Really, thanks for the efforts and output.

anyway to offer template selection after signup? in a special page?

Because, sometimes, we need to offer it as template selection -> signup & in few cases we need to offer like, signup first -> template selection then.

Also, when you gonna release the next update of this including theme previewer?

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @webmaharaj.

It's difficult (I don't know if it's even possible) to include a template selector after signup. WordPress sets up everything once you finished the signup so you'd need custom coding for that.

The new version will be released, probably next week, as soon as we finish with more tests.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @webmaharaj.

Sorry for the very late. We have to study that feature, we cannot add it before Christmas. We will include the showcase in the next version (I guess I'll release this or next week) but another big feature would need more time.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.