Any way to make Pro Sites ignore certain "Core" subsites?

Hello.

We have Pro Sites running with great early success on our network. There is one issue however.

Our network has a core group of sites (around 10) that are considered "Core" sites which have MUCH higher upload quotas and contain NO theme/plugin restrictions. We don't want these sites to be in any way constrained by the Pro Sites plugin.

It does not appear to me that there is a way for us to set them up so that Pro Sites 'ignores' applying its Level restrictions to them. Am I overlooking something?

These ~10 sites need to have free reign to be used without restriction, while we continue to use the Pro Sites plugin and its Levels for new blogs created by our network's user base.

An example of a problem this is causing is this:
We currently use the advertising addon to append a network wide ad to the end of FREE account blog posts. Because our "Core" sites are technically FREE accounts (not Pro Sites accounts), they are getting the ad code in all of their posts, which we do not want.

However, we also cannot simply create a high permission Pro Sites Level to apply to these Core Sites, because then that Level would be visible to users going through the Upgrade process, right?

I hope this made sense. I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice on how to address this issue.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Middleearth,

Because our "Core" sites are technically FREE accounts (not Pro Sites accounts), they are getting the ad code in all of their posts, which we do not want.

I could not find an easy way to hack this (via database) so the advertisements did not show on those particular sites but also keeping in mind that any hacks could possibly be lost with an update.

However, we also cannot simply create a high permission Pro Sites Level to apply to these Core Sites, because then that Level would be visible to users going through the Upgrade process, right?

You are absolutely correct on both accounts. However, in my opinion creating a high level to accommodate these sites would be the cleanest way to accomplish this task.

The idea of making a way to "white list" certain sites within the network effectively making them immune from the confines of the levels plugin itself is a great idea in which I thank you for bringing to our attention.

Therefore I have gone ahead and moved this to the Feature Requests forum to include notifying the lead developer of this particular feature possibility inclusion in a future update.

Anyone else +1 this as a feature for Pro Sites plugin?

Joe :slight_smile:

• MyMiddleEarth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Aaron & aecnu: Thanks for the replies.

Aaron, I have already tried doing what you suggested (permanently making "core sites" Pro)

However, the "Pro" Level we have set up restricts blogs to 50MB storage and limited plugins/themes.

Furthermore, not all of the users who administrate our "Core" sites are Super-Admins network wide.

Therein lies the rub.

Is there anything I am overlooking?

Otherwise, yes it would definitely be a feature (white-listing) that I would LOVE to see.

Thank you so much.

• MyMiddleEarth

Ok, that takes care of one of the two issues! Great news :slight_smile:

What about the availability of certain plugins/themes?

Would we be forced to have a super-admin go in and turn on themes/plugins for the "Core sites?" (that we manually upgrade to Pro)

Because at that point, regular subsite admins would still only have "Pro" plugin/theme capabilities, correct?

• MyMiddleEarth

Aaron, thank you for your continued support.

Upon further review, we are finding that manually setting storage quota's to a higher level than defined in the Pro Level for a Pro Site is not overriding :slight_frown:

So our "Core sites" that I mentioned, when manually set to permanent Pro status (which is set to provide 50mb of storage) and then manually edited in the sites menu to have > 50mb of storage... Are not reflecting that override on their dashboard.

Could this be a bug? Or is something still being overlooked on our end?

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

I remember a similar story where the value was properly saved but not loaded.
    If you want to be sure and safe, manually check the value in your DB for this particular blog.
    I am quite sure you will find that the bigger size has been saved in the DB.

• MyMiddleEarth

Hi Ovidiu.

I saw that thread also. Unfortunately it does not seem to be effecting us in this way.

I manually went into the DB for a specific site (Which is set to Permanent Pro Level) and manually edited the blog_upload_space database field to a different amount than it had been set previously.

Then upon going to the dashboard of that site, it is still set to the previous default Pro Level amount.

This is really causing issues with our setup =(

Anyone have other troubleshooting ideas?

**EDIT** Looks like Aaron posted his reply about 5 seconds before this one got submitted.

Thanks for taking a look Aaron, please let me know anything you find or if I can help in any way at all.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Ok, I think I changed it back as it caused issues for many people. They would get confused when pro quota was not being applied.

Comment out:
    add_filter( 'pre_option_blog_upload_space', array(&$this, 'filter') );
    from the quota.php file. I'll add a define next version so you can override that behavior for your install.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.