Any way to use Custom Taxonomies across an entire Multi-Site Network?

Would it be possible to create a custom taxonomy that would appear in all themes across a Multisite network, as opposed to creating the custom taxonomy in functions.php?

I would imagine an mu-plugin could be created...has anyone looked into this?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Greg,

I was looking at something similar over on the wordpress.org forums, but haven't found anything. However, I believe this is exactly what our new MarketPress plugin does. It puts everything in a "global" database rather than site specific... specific sites show their products (in this case) but global or main site can show products from all sites. Pretty nifty!

Obviously, MarketPress does a ton more besides that, but take a look at the plugin and perhaps specifically marketpress-ms.php for some ideas. Maybe Aaron can drop by and provide a bit more instruction even.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Greg,

My thought is that Aaron's referring to the fact that doing is the way he mentions will register the taxonomies for every site on the install, but not globally (or in a single database not assigned to any particular site).

What this means is that you wouldn't be able to show custom posts or tags across the entire install - the way our post indexer plugin works. You wouldn't be able to do that using this method, but the taxonomies would work on each individual site.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.