Anyone found their slight just a tad slower after WP 3.0 upgrade?

It's not a HUGE difference but my site is definately not as zippy as it was before upgrading to WP 3.0. Anyone else found this?

• drmike

Check to see if there's anything in the webserver's error logs. You may even want to bump up the reporting level to see if you;re getting large numbers of warnings. (You're going to get some just to let you know.)

One thing that comes to mind is that now, the software has to check to see if it;s a multisite setup. Previously the software already knew it was. I wonder how many more checks are being made for this. Multiply that by the number of page views....

I don;t know if that's really true or not but it does come to mind.

• rossagrant

Yeah not sure how the new multi site checks work.

The site response times are definately slower though than before. I have no errors at all in the error log in cpanel.

The site isnt live yet so it's not overloaded and it's only a single install.
    I have tried disabling all plugins bar BP and its still the same so don't think it's a plugin error and I've optimised tables too. No joy. Not sure.

As I said it's not SLOOOW but just not as responsive.
    Let me know if anyone else notices a change!

• rossagrant

I have just tried to use the default BP theme and it's lightning fast again.

Tammie, it would appear that the newest BP Daily is slowing down ever so slightly.

Not sure how it differs to the older WP 2.9.2 versions but just wanted to let you know incase there is anything you can do to speed it up at all.

It's not massively slow or anything and I love the new features like the sign up button etc but thought you might like to know.

Please don't take this as a nag, I'd been playing around with so much to increase the speed and had never thought of changing themes til just now and it looks like that was the issue.

Anyway keep me posted and keep up the hard work, it's much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Ross :slight_smile:

• Tammie

@rossagrant: Try the update put on today it could be the old files that were being referenced from the CSS tidy. Beyond that nothing should be influencing but that really should not have had a large impact at all. You will be looking for version 2.4 but remember to take into account any of your child theme changes. I've included the style.css for the child with this thread incase you just want to put that in - this should go ONLY in your child theme.

If this isn't it then I am doubtful it is the theme as there was a focus on optimising Daily for speed - we're now down to reduced CSS and a lot of other tweaks were done to actually make it a faster theme.

• rossagrant

Yeah it is a bit weird but the style.css definately solved the problem. It wasn't that the site was mega slow before hand but maybe 2 seconds or so longer page loads. the progress bar in Firefox would stall half way through for a acouple of seconds before finallly loading with the older style.css.
    This ONLY happened in the child theme and the parent theme was fast.

Now with the new style.css it zips right through on the progress bar in firefox with no stalls.

I'll keep you posted in case anything changes but thanks again!

• rossagrant

Hey Tammie!
    Hope you are well!

Just wanted to run something by you that I am trying to understand but cant find any info on.

After you supplied me with the new CSS style sheet for Daily yesterday my site has been running nice and quickly when using the Daily child theme.

I looked into what other plugins that could have been causing slow down and did find some that seemed to conflict. I had 2 security plugins installed that blocked bad queries etc and I think they may have been conflicting. After deleting those my site is now quicker than ever and all is good.

I have spent a few hours tidying up the database and everything is now optimized but I have noticed something with the Daily Child theme and overhead in the WP_options table.

I found that after optimizing the table that upon the next page refresh on the front end I would get an overhead reading of between 40b and 200b. This would gradually increase as I used the site and after every optimization it would appear again upon the next page load or 2 on the front end.

I decided to switch to the default BP theme and this didn't happen.
    I switched to the BP Parent theme and this didn't happen.

I know BP daily child uses the WP_options table to reference the style sheet etc and wondered why it would cause overhaed when it didn't back in WP 2.9.2

Could you tell me what overhead is, if it's an issue and if the child theme should be causing this.
    The parent theme doesn't and neither does the default theme.
    I'm just trying to understand it thats all.

Would it matter that I am using the 2.2 version of the parent and 2.4 version of the child theme?
    Thanks o much for your time!

• Tammie

@rossagrant: There is no reason why you would get overhead just because of a child theme. Saying that have you any theme options in the child theme not in the parent you have added? Different versions shouldn't cause issues at all but if you want just download the latest one and put that on it's got the changes to the CSS. Now you say about the default theme - well the default BuddyPress theme doesn't put anything in the options table so of course you won't ever get any overhead or entries in it :slight_smile: Have you tried removing all plugins and widgets and testing with just the theme?

Testing with the default theme really won't get you anywhere if it's the options table you're focusing on you need something that saves to that. In my testing with a vanilla install of wp 3.0 running mutilsite but without any plugins and the daily 2.4 theme child and parent (did both tests) I can't replicate your issue.

• Tammie

@rossagrant: Which is my point.. that theme doesn't even use the options table :slight_frown: Therefore there is something poking that table causing the troublesome overhead. If I was you not sure how intensive your site is but maybe doing a peel back all one by one add is best? Something and it's not theme related I'm almost 100% sure is causing issues. If I was you maybe start a new topic too with this? This one could get lost as was being dealt with specifically regarding themes and this seems like you may need the server and plugin people to look.