Anyone Mind Configuring Multi-DB for 16 Tables for Me?

Hi,
I have been dealing with Multi-DB for about 3 days now to no avail. In fact, I manage to get to the very end of the procedure (I see all green text from move-blogs.php and all.) But for some strange reason I just keep getting an "Error Establishing Database Connection" when I visit my site.

When I remove all multi-DB files, my site works beautifully again.

Since I am pretty much done dealing with this, I've decided to ask one last question: Does anyone mind using TeamViewer (or other) and spending 20 minutes doing this on my behalf?

I already created all 16 databases AND I assigned a username/password with full privileges. So the only work left is simply adding the information to db-config and move-blogs.php. You will have full access to everything.

Any takers? I know your time is valuable, but I do believe half the work is already done.

Note: I highly doubt I will continue to troubleshoot at this point, even with suggestions.

Thanks
Elvis

• The One

Hi Jack, the Multi DB version is 3.2.1.

So far:
    - I execute move-blogs.php and it shows me all the tables. Each one says "exists." Then I click "step number 4" to start the writing process, and that, too, seems successful. By the end of the procedure, the status says "Table in new db."

Still, my website is just inaccessible for some strange reason.

So just in case, let me clarify some of the steps. Let's open the DB-tools file here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/db-tools/db_servers.php

- DB name: I assume this refers to the MAIN, or "default" database where my website is installed, correct? So I don't type in "database_global" or any of that. I assume this is the naked database, the original one where my site resides.

DBUser name and password: This is the credentials assigned to each DB. I created a username/password with full privileges and assigned it to all 16 databases, including the default one where my site resides. (I also updated my Wordpress wp_config.php file with the same credentials.)

DBHost: This is my server's IP address, also the same IP as my Wordpress website.

Remote host: Empty (im on Hostgator shared hosting. I believe theres nothing remote to worry about.)

Now let's take a quick look at Move-blogs.php from line 19:

$dbname = Again, this is the default DB where my site resides, the original one. Correct? In my case: diablo2_wrdp5
    $blog_table_prefix = I noticed that most tables (or all tables) begin with "wp", so id didnt change this.
    $newdb_prefix = Here i do something like this: prefix_dbname_. In my case, its: diablo2_wrdp5_.

//We need info to connect to the databases
    $dbhost = 'localhost';
    $dbuname = 'prefix_name';
    $dbpass = 'password goes here';
    (here I use the username/password i had previously assigned to the databases.)

Further notes: All my databases require a prefix, so i include that prefix wherever I am asked for a database name. Even my username requires that prefix (diablo2_).

P.S. Here's something of potential interest: If you look at line 112 of move-blogs.php, there is a string that says: : $newdb_prefix . "global";
    Shouldn't this be something else? Maybe diablo2_wrdp5_global?

I just dont see where the error is being made, for some reason :disappointed:
    Feel free to correct me on any of the above, either through here or via email.

Elvis
    :smiley:iabloDJ@Gmail.com">DiabloDJ@Gmail.com

• The One

Hi Jack, thanks for the help as always!
    Sadly, the issue still persists. But don't worry; i've decided i'm perfectly happy letting go of this plugin. I'll blame it on a semi-corrupt WP installation or some weird HostGator technicality (after all, ive seen some odd things happening on their end in the past.)

I was only installing it merely to prevent my website from ever getting slow in the future (should it ever become too popular.) But if it DOES get slow, I can always move it to a VPS or something :slight_smile:

If a VPS has the same speed benefits as creating multiple DBs, then it's all good. Would you say so?

Im going to close this ticket and i'll let you know if I ever need any related help.

P.S. I got the old code (and instructions) from the Multi-DB download page (as of this writing.)

Take care, and thanks again,
    Elvis

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Elvis,

Hope your well today, if you'd like to stick with it, I'd be happy to assist further :slight_smile:

To be honest, installing Mult-DB on shared hosting isn't really worth it, as by the time you get to a stage where Multi-DB is needed, the site will far outgrown shared hosting and you'd need a high end VPS, but really a dedicated server :slight_smile:

A VPS will always be quicker than shared hosting, as on shared hosting there's always invisible limits to badnwidth, speed, connections etc, that are never shown that slow the site, couple that with no dedicated RAM or CPU (cores), slows it down.

And many shared hosts will have too many sites per server to maximize profits without taking into account security, reliability or speed.

Thanks for the info on the instructions, I'll take a look at that :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.