Anyone out there using directory or classifieds plugin?

I'd like to try one or the other, but not sure which to use. Anyone out there have luck with either?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi tutuology,

I think it may help to clarify to start with, that Directory isn't compatible with BuddyPress. Classifieds, on the other hand, is not only compatible with BuddyPress, it integrates in a very special way (it really is well done in this regard).

If you intend on using BuddyPress, Classifieds would be the only plausible option among the two.

Did you have a specific question on it all though? Or could you maybe provide some specifics as to how you might like for it all to work?

Thanks,
    David

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey David-
    Yes, I've discovered that directory and classifieds are not compatible....no big deal though. It's just that I have my site no where near where it should be, so I am thinking I bit off more than I can chew and should scale down my expectations. Originally, I was hoping to just be an information hub and marketplace in which others could set up a shop. I am beginning to think it won't work out so well. I continue to have shopping cart problems, cannot create new sites (there seems to be some conflict with buddypress when trying to do this), but when buddypress is not enabled, I lose my shops....it's all screwy. I really like fondeli's site. It is beautifully executed and is exactly precisely what I want.

I feel like I need to clean things up. If I cannot accomplish my original plan, I would like to shift gears and offer a membership site with a huge focus on advertising. Actually, it would work out ok to build another site that is strictly advertising and membership (except for the fact that I cannot get my "create new site" to work....I just get redirected to my homepage). You can see my other recent threads about that :slight_frown:

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Tutuology,

Had a look in here as I have tried both directory & classifieds unsuccessfully and I really want to get the directory up and running, but I hear there is an upgrade due that should solve my problems.

Delighted to see that you like my site! :slight_smile: I had lots, and lots of issues with it too, and it's all just come together at the last minute, over the last week, and I launched it on Monday!! I use Supporter and Marketpress...and a lot, a lot of others!

Now I want to add directory on a sub site, upgrades, and I was thinking to try Classifieds again for custom orders, but I think my solution would be more like the job boards here...I wonder how I can get that? :slight_smile:

Good Luck!

Alice.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@Alice, as I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not sure how to get the contractors/developers section up, but the two plugins I mentioned certainly work to get jobs listed.

Just to mention it also, Upgrades is due for an update as well and is in the works.

@tutuology, we'll delve more into the specifics you brought up in the other thread. I'm thinking it may just come down to there being so many possible directions to go with a network site, and there's so many varieties of plugins here, it's hard to know which route is best to take. I think with that decided, everything else goes smoother.

• Scott
    • Flash Drive

Hi, what is the perfect combination of theme/classifieds/directory/marketplace for a multisite buddpress setup? Is there such a combination?

Would like a site that displays user classifieds on the home page with tab for a business directory and the option for users to create their own stores with tab to that. All this would be using buddypress and MU.

Any suggestions on the theme and plugins to use? Thanks

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

I have created a Buddypress site running Classifieds. Its on the Genesis theme framework (sorry!) but seems to work well. I have my classifieds on a dedicated page though, the activity stream is the homepage after a user logs in.

URL is http://www.extrafriends.co.uk, its behind a invite code though at the moment :slight_frown: Working through a few other nagging issues with forums.

But it is possible!

Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going. :slight_smile:

I have a mixture of plugins on my sandbox install and not noticed any issues, did you have any specific issues.

The Directory and Classifieds plugin requires its own templates, so if you are offering this end users in your network then you would need to make theme modifications for all themes which could be used.

We haven't heard form you on this in a while. So I'm going to presume your all fixed up now and don't need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Scott
    • Flash Drive

Hi Timothy.

What is the perfect combination of theme/classifieds/directory/marketplace for a multisite buddpress setup? Is there such a combination?

Would like a site that displays user classifieds on the home page with a tab for a business directory and the option for users to create their own stores with tab to that. All this would be using buddypress and MU.

Any suggestions on the theme and plugins to use? Thanks

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Scott.

You could use all those plugins. For keep them separate but on the same network you could have for example:

classifieds.yourdomain.com
    yellowpages.yourdomain.com
    marketplace.yourdomain.com

Or you could have them all on the same site. I like the idea of different sites within a network install. Different sites to list in Google as well. :slight_smile:

They all work with BuddyPress, some have different integrations than others. For example classifieds will display within BuddyPress. MarketPress could display on the front site through the use of shortcodes, but doesn't directly integrate with BuddyPress, it will work with it perfectly fine though. :slight_smile:

As for themes, well......... It depends on your preference, style, desires wants, needs. I could recommend a ton of them and non may ever be what you want. The best thing to do here is set up a test website and have a play, then decide what suits your needs.

Here are our plugins for the three you mention:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/classifieds
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce

Would like a site that displays user classifieds on the home page with a tab for a business directory and the option for users to create their own stores with tab to that. All this would be using buddypress and MU.

I suppose you could achieve some of this with the inbuilt WordPress Menus.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.