Anyone using USER SWITCHING plugin to manage users in multisite?

Hello All,

I have subdirectory setup here with wpmudev hosting.

I use USER SWITCHING plugin to manage my client's website instead using their credentials.

I've never had issues with this plugin until I started hosting this multisite here with wpmudev.

Now, every time I switch to my client's user account I get an error.

ERROR 502 - BAD GATEWAY

I get this error when I switch user either on a mapped subsite or unmapped subsite.

I use this plugin on my other multisite not hosted here and have no issues at all...Not sure what's going here???

I'm not getting an answer or at least a workaround fast enough? This is holding me back from marketing my services.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Simplebutcreative Media,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I suppose this is the mentioned plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-switching/

I tested the plugin in my system, and it works fine without any issue in mapped, and unmapped domains, and could switch to different users without any 502 errors as mentioned.

Most probably there might be a conflict with the mentioned plugin, could you please enable support access to your system, to check the current configuration of your system, and to have a better idea, if there is anything being missed.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once you enable access so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Seems like support access is no longer accessible. I have asked for the credentials, please do follow up regarding that:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cross-autologin-not-working?replies=11#post-1385692

And we'll make sure to give a closer look regarding the 502 error in this ticket asap. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Warm Regards,
    Nithin

• Simplebutcreative Media
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Nithin

I just did another plugin conflict test.

I've pin-pointed the issue. It's definitely the Pro Site Plugin.

With the pro-site plugin deactivated, I can use user switching with no issues whether it's an older mapped subsite or new mapped subsite.

With the pro-site plugin activated, I'm NOT able to use user switching on my older mapped subsites but I'm able to use user switch with my most recent mapped subsite customer for this multisite.

Hopefully this will help you guys out.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I tested in your system, and I could replicate the issue in your website, and can confirm it works fine when the Pro Sites plugin is disabled.

This is really odd behaviour. I'm afraid, I'm not able to replicate this in any instance. However, this seems more related to Domain Mapping interfering with the Pro Sites, and User Switching plugin.

I would like to test further by disabling all the plugins except Pro Sites, and see how the dashboard behaves with User Switching plugin.

Are you comfortable with us performing such testing in your system? Since there is Domain Mapping plugin, I'm afraid, a test in the staging site isn't giving accurate results. Also, is it okay, if I upload the beta version of Domain Mapping plugin in your live site?

Please let us know how you want us to troubleshoot the issue further. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Simplebutcreative Media

Sorry, I don't understand, do you mean the you installed the beta DM plugin already? And do you still have the issue?

I don't think it's a good idea to disable domain mapping. 3 of the mapped subsites are customer's website.

Yeah, I can understand, but the for troubleshooting purpose, we really need to do it quickly. So, when you have low number of visitors, could you please quickly disable the DM plugin and check the user switch plugin?

Please let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Simplebutcreative Media
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ash

Yes I have the beta DM plugin installed. I'm still having the same issues with User Switching plugin. I can only switch with my most recent mapped subsite and un-mapped subsite. I'm not able to switch with the admin user with 2 of my older mapped subsite.

But the plugin causing this user switching issue is pro-site. I already did a plugin conflict test and pro-site is definitely the one causing me from switching users in 2 of my older mapped subsites.

I'm also have another issue with pro-site. It's affecting my most recent mapped subsite. Here's the issue...Maybe you've seen this...

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pro-site-not-showing-the-most-recently-added-site

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

But the plugin causing this user switching issue is pro-site. I already did a plugin conflict test and pro-site is definitely the one causing me from switching users in 2 of my older mapped subsites.

On troubleshooting this further, this seems more a conflict towards Domain Mapping plugin rather than Pro Sites. Maybe during low traffic period, you could just confirm this by only deactivating the Domain Mapping plugin to see how it goes? Not required though. :slight_smile:

However, I have already brought this into our hosting team's attention and waiting to hear whether they could pick up anything specific regarding this.

If our hosting team isn't able to detect anything specific, I'll make sure this ticket is brought into our Second Lever Support(SLS), and developers attention, to see what further could be done to help get this sorted asap.

We truly appreciate your patience with troubleshooting. Have a great weekend ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Thanks for providing more details about your test, really helpful. We were able to notice a header size request being sent is causing an issue when a user is tried to switch in the dashboard side. I have further brought into our system admin in the hosting team to see whether there is anything specific that could be done in the hosting side, or whether the issue should be fixed in the plugin side.

Will keep you updated once I get further feedback asap. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I got an update regarding this from the hosting team, and we have increased the header size request the User Switch plugin was using in the hosting side, and now the website seems to load fine when I switch the users.

Please test, and let us know if you have any further query. Have a great day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.