API - integration - solution - dog resuce

What Im looking to accomplish: Setting up the ability for WP users on their sites to easily post dog bios/info/photos that will also send back to Petfinder.com. I know it will push over to Facebook and Twitter but Im stumped on the API/feed back to petfinder. I have an API key, just not API savvy.

Q. Would one of the classified plugins work or what do you have for suggestions in that area?

My first website was a huge success for a dog rescue and many more are in the works and I want to get this streamlined. Thx in advance, Jeff.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jeff,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up in which I have no idea about dealing with the petfinder api and the subject is far from the support we do indeed provide.

However, I am going to go ahead and see about getting @Mason in here to comment on possibly what we should do next to get some help with this issue other then the obvious contacting the petfinder API developers/coders.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Jeff
    • New Recruit

No worries on the time table, just grateful that you might be able to guide me in right direction. You can see how I have a dog rescues adoptable dogs that were originally listed on Petfinder on their site here with API key i have now.: http://tinypawsrescue.com/adoptable-dogs (not my finest work lol, it was my first site).

There is a paid program that has this functionality but the setup/ui is challenging, esp for the volunteers running these org's, technology isn't their specialty and they don't have time to learn it.

I have thoroughly researched Petfinder, looked for plugins, technology blogs, ect but have found nothing already in place or even a reference point to start at to start building a program. It's a vital need in their industry too. Thx again for the help.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Yeah, you'll definitely need a custom developer to code this for you.

You'll need to create an account here:
    http://www.petfinder.com/developers/api-key

So that you can view the API documentation. They also mention developer partners (which would mean developers that are familiar with their API) right here:
    http://www.petfinder.com/info/api-partners

I'd hit up a few of the developers on that page, ask them if they have any previous experience working with WordPress-based sites and make sure to have the specs for your project as fully detailed.

Hope this helps!

• Jeff
    • New Recruit

Yeah looks like Im going to have to roll up my sleeves and crash course myself on api integrations and possibly writing the code for a plugin. I'll post back here in a month or two on my progress. Thx and wish me luck!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.