Apostrophes Raising Havoc!

Anyone know how to remove the bug that cause WPMU to create a "/" where an apostrophe should be? I can't got through every blog and replace the apostrophe with the html ’

  • Robert
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    I added a new blog called Robert's Blog and the blog shows up as Robert/'s Blog. I created a Group called Let's Talk and sent an email actually shows funny characters where the Apostrophe is suppose to be. Not sure why those characters didn't show up in my above post. It's been doing it from the beginning. I actually noticed it but it's one of those things you think you mis-typed. As for the plugins I only had three installed and removed them already and it is still doing it on the main titles.

    Robert

  • Robert
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    I've reinstalled everything again and the problem has gone away except for the group email sending out funny characters in the place of the apostrophe. Don't know if anyone else has seen this problem.

    Robert

  • Robert
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    The problem that went away was when you added a new blog the title would come in with a slash. That went away. The other issue was the email in the groups but I added another blog and the generated email also has the funny characters.

    I hope that is clearer.

    Robert

  • drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

    ISO 8859-1 probably. That's what CPanel defaults to. Considering many plugins default to use a charset of UTF8, you may want to go back and set the default to 8859. If you have any foreign character blogs, you will have problems as wordpress (well php) will assume that you;re using one charset and MySQL will assume that you;re using another.

    Gotta admit though you should be using the utf8. That's really the only one that can handle any and all charsets and foreign characters. Probably have problems with feeds as well.

    You would need to translate the databases though. It's not as easy as changing a setting. Not something for the casual user.

  • Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

    No no no : the problem in fact is as simple as this : if you do not enforce php default charset, all wil be coded by the dev within the headers... so let the default empty

    The php default charset enforce navigators to use the mentioned charset instead of the one define directly in pages headers.

    My server runs a whole systeme coded in 8859-1, setup up in page headers and its database also.

    Mysql is coded in utf8 but during the creation process.

    First i had put utf-8 in default php.ini. All my server became crazy.

    Next i let the default empty and all is fine. I have sites in arabic, french, english and all came fine...

  • drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

    First i had put utf-8 in default php.ini. All my server became crazy.

    That's probably because your databases were already in a different charset. When we roll out a server, it's gets set to a default of utf8.

    Next i let the default empty and all is fine. I have sites in arabic, french, english and all came fine...

    Have you done any database restores? Sent someone a backup of their database? For the french and the english, they'll be fine for the most part. (The french one's accent characters are within 8859 I believe.) When you hit Chinese and Russian language blogs, you will have problems.

    An easy way to tell is look at your webserver error logs. You'll see (oh, I forget the specific error) what are trackbacks being dropped because they're in Cyrillic and the software can't handle them. (That's what got me interested in this. My logs were filled with these.)

    if you do not enforce php default charset, all wil be coded by the dev within the headers

    I believe you;re looking at html output in this case. I'd have to dig for the threads but we had a few here when things were just beginning where not setting charsets was a major issue. Real tempted to take a bus down to Andrew and whack him over the head a few times over the issue. :slight_smile:

  • Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

    I wont have cyrillic or chinese but in that case I will use Ivonv ou mbstrings.

    I am under the magic of Cpanel, so my databases can be coded during the creation process. Wordpress ones are utf8, my other service is iso 8859-1 for database acces AND utf 8 for other pages, directly encoded by the meta equiv in pages. And now all my charset problems have gone...

    No database restore, no manipulation, no error logs... just put out default charset to empty in php editorand my apostrophes sunddunly reappear !

    All depends now from <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> or charset you want...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.