Apparent Bugs With Facepile Widget

I cannot get more than 3 rows to show up with the Facepile widget regardless of what I set it at. It won't even show all three rows in full.

Another issue is that the Facepile widget doesn't appear in IE10 at all. The area seems to be getting reserved in the widget content area, but no images appear. (Seen screen shot)

Any suggestions to resolve this?

I'm using the latest version of everything. I even updated WordPress to see if that helped.

~ Corey

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there,

Greetings and thanks for your email.

Can you please provide me a link of the site ?

Can you please try it once with the default theme and see if it works fine ?

Please advise.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• NetPotion
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I've now tried it with the default Twenty Twelve theme, and all plugins disabled. I was getting the same thing.

I'm seeing Facepile, but only in Chrome. FF and IE10 show a blank area.

I would prefer not to post a link if possible. Is there some other way I can send it to you? Otherwise, you can see it on the blog page within the site I've linked to this post.

Thanks PC,

Corey

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

I just tested it with one of my sites and it works just fine. But on your site its not working properly.

I am gonna need to have a look at your site to see what is going on there.

Can you please send me your login details via our secure contact form

1: Mark the email to my attention

Attn: PC

2: Include a link of this thread in the email

3: Include FTP and WordPress super admin details.

4: While filling the form, select "I have a different question" from the list.

Looking forward for a response on this.

Cheers
    PC

• NetPotion

Hi PC,

I've finished the update. It's still not working right, unfortunately.
    I've sent the information you requested but neglected to add "ATTN: PC" to it.

It has "Regarding Facepile Widget Issues" or something similar to that.

Sorry, I'm watching the kids today and had a brain fart. :stuck_out_tongue:

~ Corey

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Corey,

Greetings and thanks for standing by on this one. Unfortunately I was not able to login to the site as the details did not work.

However, I pretty much doubt this to be a theme issue.

Can you please switch the site to 2012 theme and put the facepile widget in the sidebar once again ?

Please advise once done.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• NetPotion

Hi,

Sorry about that. We just did a server migration to another datacenter and your account seems to have vanished.

I just created a new one and sent the info to you.

I've also switched to the 2012 theme. The Facepile widget is on the front page right/top.

Thanks!

~ Corey

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Corey,

Thanks for your patience while I was testing the issue.

I can confirm this on my lab site as well and its not working. I have sent a note to our lead developer so that we can fix it asap.

In the meantime, you can use the Facebook Like Box widget to show the images of people who like your facebook page.

Vlad should be here sooner than later.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

I believe it might be possible we're dealing with the Facebook plugin limitation, so can we please make sure if it is so first? Most notably, Facepile "only displays friends photos" (official documentation):

The plugin only displays friends photos. If the user does not have friends who have liked your page or have connected to your site, no faces will be shown.

If you are displaying users who have liked your page, and no users have liked it yet, the plugin will render nothing. If some users have liked your page, but none of the viewing users friends have liked it, the plugin will display the total number of users who have liked your page.

If you are displaying users who have connected to your site, and none of the users friends have connected yet, the plugin will render nothing.

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/facepile/

With this in mind, can I please ask you to make sure you're logged in with Facebook as the same Facebook user in your other browsers when you test and see if this behavior continues?

• NetPotion

Hi Vladislav,

Logging in with the account *does* make it appear in IE. You are spot on with that.

Oddly, the "Facebook Like Box" widget shows users faces no matter whether logged into the correct account or not.

There is still something wrong with the Facepile widget though. Even when logged in to the correct account, the number of rows do not work correctly. It's also cutting anything past the 3rd row in half.

Being how the Facebook Like Box works in all situations, I'm not sure what the point is of Facepile. Leaving a big, empty widget area when not logged into the correct account seems counterproductive. It's also a bit redundant, considering.

I'm going to stick with the one that works, but I will stick with you on figuring out this other bug if you need to access my site or anything.

Thanks!

~Corey

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Oddly, the "Facebook Like Box" widget shows users faces no matter whether logged into the correct account or not.

Facebook like box works differently. It does not depend on the frends options as facepile does (Thanks Vlad for pointing that out)

There is still something wrong with the Facepile widget though. Even when logged in to the correct account, the number of rows do not work correctly. It's also cutting anything past the 3rd row in half.

Perhaps you can use some custom CSS to increase the height of the widget.

Just try something like

div#wdfb_widgetfacepile-3.widget.Wdfb_WidgetFacepile {height: 400px !important}

and change 400px to the value which shows up the images without being cut.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.