We take reservations for Hayrides from September through November primarily on the weekends. With previous assistance, we finally got the appointment times to show correctly and when we tested everything worked great! Now it's public, and we were showing someone on my android phone and it failed to display any dates as available. They all show BUSY.
No settings on my dashboard have been changed, and I've cleared, rebooted my browser, and even turned off the cache in the plugin and it's not making a difference.
Another attempt also didn't reflect the services I have entered. I.E. There are multiple services available as options to choose that reflect the number of people, the number of wagons they need to reserve and the deposit that relates to the number of wagons needed. This also didn't work in the Android environment.