Appointment reminders sent twice

For most of the booked appointments, the reminder e-mail is sent twice to the same recipient (booking customer) at the same time. Reminders should be sent 24 hours before an appointment and in around 60% of cases, two of them go out at once. Around 40% of cases - there's only one reminder. The issue is quite intermittent but A+ log confirms it.

• Ivan

Hi David @ BBS !

Are you sure that reminders were sent twice? I found that the plugin has a check for sending duplicated reminders but yes, it will be logged twice (it will be fixed in the next version of the plugin). It means that you can only see it in the A+ log but it was sent once.
    Also, I see that you selected to send reminders only 24 hours before an appointment. If you also want to send it when appointments starting - you can try to set 24, 0 in the Reminder email Sending Time for the Client (hours) setting (WP Dashboard -> Appointments -> Settings -> General -> Notifications -> Reminder email Sending Time for the Client (hours) )

Best,
    Ivan.

• Ivan

Hi David @ BBS !

A+ log confirms it.

I checked the Appointments Log and I see that the last duplicated entries were on March 22, 2017 6:58 pm. (if you will recheck it - make sure that entries have different emails and different ID of appointments )
    Also, I created new customer on your site with ioannup username with my real email. Could you create test appointment for me on your site for checking this issue?

Best,
    Ivan.

• David @ BBS

Hi Ivan! Happy New Year!!!

Thanks for taking a look at this. Just created 3 different appointments for you. Let's see how they behave. Since the Test2 site is a clone of the Test site (which is really used for our internal testing), no real appointments are ever done there. To get a real grasp of the problem, I invite you to check out the Appointments Log on the live site (I re-granted you access):
    https://www.broadwaybabysitters.com
    In just the last two weeks you'll find 6 instances of reminder emails having been sent two times.

Curious to hear what you find.
    David

• David @ BBS

Hi Ivan!

Thanks for checking in. The appointments did happen and the reminders were sent (since it's a test site, and nobody had logged in for a while, cron didn't run till today when I loaded the site - but once I did all reminder emails got sent out). But since this is a test site I'm running an additional plugin that reroutes all emails to be sent to me (the admin) rather than to original recipients. After all, I don't want clients or our babysitters freaking out about fake appointments.

Having said that, here's what's interesting. I had created 3 appointments for you.

Here are the reminders that I received:

The first appointment: 2 reminders were sent to you (the client), 2 reminders to the service provider.
    The second appointment: 2 reminders were sent to you (the client), 2 reminders to the service provider.
    The third appointment: NO reminders were sent to you (the client), 2 reminders to the service provider.

Definitely strange. The logs confirm that. But of course a single instance for each.

I see that you created an account on our live site. I've created 3 new appointments for you on the live site for Sunday 7th @ 10am, 4pm and 7pm. So hopefully tomorrow (on Saturday) you receive email confirmations of those. I did do a DIFF on the plugin code and see the modification you made. Great catch. From the looks of it, it should fix the issue. I'm curious to hear how it goes.

Thanks!
    David

• Ivan

Hi David @ BBS !

It seems grant access to your main site was expired.
    It's better if you provide us more credentials for investigation this issue.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    Please visit our private Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: Ivan Svyrskyi"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

link back to this thread for reference
    any other relevant urls

Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

FTP/SFTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Note: Don't send any credentials via this forum because it's public forum.

Also, I got two emails for Sunday 7th @ 10am and one email for 4pm and one email for 7pm.
    SO, the last two reminders look fine.
    Regarding the first one - Could you check how many entities does the A+ log have for this reminder? If there is one entity there - it looks like a conflict with another plugin or theme. Could you deactivate all plugins except A+ (including all plugins for SMTP and so on) and switch theme to the 2017 default theme and test it again?

Best,
    Ivan.

• David @ BBS

Hi Ivan!

Thanks for being willing to keep looking into this!

Would you be kind enough to grab all the login credentials to the live site from Predrag Dubajic as I'd already submitted it all to him last month when him and I were testing a PHP error thrown by the Membership plugin? Thanks!

As for the email reminders here's what the logs show: All three of your appointments sent out 1 reminder to you and one reminder email to the service provider. Glad to hear you received all (although the 10am still seemed double?)

On the other hand, I created 2 test appointments with Barbra for myself (one under my admin account and one under my test customer account). Barbra received all 5 email reminders (3 for yours, 2 for mine). However I didn't receive a single reminder for either of my appointments. And the logs confirm this.

As for testing any plugin conflicts, I'm unable to do that on the live site as we have too many active customers. However that's why I created the test2 clone site. So you're welcome to do as many tests as you'd like. Change themes, change plugins, etc. Have fun with it! IMPORTANT NOTE: The only plugin that has to remain active is "WP Reroute Email". After all, I don't want customers to accidentally start receiving emails from the test sites. As a precaution I removed the option for that plugin to be deactivated on the test site. Aside from that, feel free to test everything you need. I'm curious to hear your results!

Thanks!
    David

• Michael

Hola - I think I may be able to help here! I did not read through the other responses, so forgive me if I repeat something someone else has said. First question is, are you on a shared hosting plan? If so, who is your host? Do you have an SMTP plugin setup? If so, are you using Google G Suite?

This is an issue that affects many plugins. If you do not use an SMTP plugin, you are relying on cron jobs that take advantage of the php mailer. If your host server is slow, there is a good chance that the sending function times out, then simply repeats.

I have gotten around this by using Mailgun, or GMAIL SMTP.

Hope this helps.

• David @ BBS

Hey Michael,

Thanks for chiming in with some really great notes.

To answer your questions: yes we're on a shared hosting plan on BlueHost. But we are already using the Easy WP SMTP plugin. And yes, our domain's emails are handled by Google G Suite. (Although the SMTP plugin is still configured to send through a different SMTP server. Which I need to change...).

Ivan & Michael: Do you recommend the GMAIL SMTP plugin over EASY WP SMTP?

What's strange is why would this double sending (or now even sometimes non-sending) of emails happens only in the case of the appointments plugin? Especially when our site sends out so many different notifications and the rest of them work fine? Peculiar indeed.

Curious if

• Michael

Darn it, I was hoping that was the winner. I have never used Easy WP. BUT I do have great success in using GMAIL SMTP with my G Suite Oauth.

The good people at wpbeginner.com have some great tuts on email issues. However those deal with email NOT sending you send to much.

The only thing I can think of is some sort of cron issue, but that should be solved with an SMTP plugin.

Let me email a buddy tomorrow am and get his take. This is right up his ally.

But the most perplexing thing is just the appointments plugin... um... wait!

ON YOUR appointment page did you build it or use the template that auto creates in the settings?

Curious if maybe there is a double setting.

I am going to keep thinking on this one.

• Ivan

Hi David @ BBS !

I got email and it was once. So, it means that it's not an issue of the A+ plugin or server's issue.
    Also, I tried to activate back your current theme and activated the Easy SMTP plugin and again I got only one email. So, it means there isn't a conflict with the theme or that plugin there.
    You need to activate each plugin one after the other in turn from Plugins -> Recently Active list and repeat this test again.
    Or you can contact support of your hosting provider about this issue. Maybe they have some logs about sending emails or something else.

Best,
    Ivan.