Appointments + For School Parent Teacher Conferences

I am trying to use appointment plugin for a school parent teacher conferenences. Parents need to select a teacher from a drop down and then select a time slot to book for appointment and then that slots need to not be available for that specific teacher only.

I created a service called parent teacher conference. Then I guess each of the 15 teachers would be a service provider?

Question do I have to create each teacher as a user on the site for them to show as a provider because right now all I see is the name of my site in the drop down.

and

Can I have multiple teacher with each of there appointments seperates?

and
Can the appointments be automatically confirmed instead of pending .. I did not see that?

Ps.. Is there a way to limit one person from trying to schedule two different appointment slots, so it would recognize the email trying to be used twice in the same day or week?

pss.. Also I have this on default theme in WP on full width page and the days flow into the next column. Is there a way to fix or shorten the day name to Weds and Thurs... ect see here http://screencast.com/t/DqLyxYmUQm

I also noticed after adding a second provider a field called anyone appears in the drop down how do you remove that and it does not let you book a slot for today even thought the appointments are set to start at 3 pm and ist only 1am at the moment.. Is there a setting for that?

• scott74

Going to seperate mey question here but was wondering how to get the bio to show up?

Like This http://screencast.com/t/4a3nbJK5m

I have this selected for bio page - The same as appoinment page is this correct?

http://screencast.com/t/ipRUN0wz2Io

And for there picture, do they have to be using gravatar and can you use another plugin like user photo to manually up load the photo and have it pulled in?

Thanks Scott

• scott74

This is a test page
    http://814media.com/bookings/make-an-appointment-2/

1. What exactly is the "everyone" slot for. Seems as if you are going to the trouble of adding providers that appointments would be for those providers so everyone does not make much sense to me.

2. i am not sure how to get the Provider picture/bio to show? Did not see any instruction on that?

3. Says you have to add providers to the site as members. Does that mean make them a subscriber? When I log in as a provider I do not see the schedule in the back end for that provider.

4. If this parent teacher conference is just for one week and the next ones wont be for another 4 months. How do you get rid of the next button so people don't try to make appointments for the following week.

5 They want people to be able to volunteer to work concession stand also. Would you make a separate calendar for this or show it as a service in the drop down like I have it on this demo page?

6. How do you customize the confirmation email for two different services. If someone makes an appointment for parent teacher conference, I have the email set to say that your appointment is confirmed for parent teacher conference with Service_Provider which would be the teachers name.

7. The service provider is pulled from the user name you create and you cannot use Capital Letters So it does not look as professional from the drop down or from the confirmation email having someones name in lowercase. Is there a way to fix this?

8. Hello World recent post shows under the calender for some reason. Is there a way to turn the recent post off under the appoinment calendar? http://814media.com/bookings/make-an-appointment-2/

9. Is there a way to make the screen refresh as the provider is selected in case someone forgets to hit show available times after selecting the provider?

If someone volunteers to work concession stand say like basketball games that confirmation email would not make much sense!

Thanks Scott - Sorry for all the questions figured it would be easier for someone to answer if they were numbered...

Ps.. I was able to comment out"Anyone" and Also fix the overflow on the Weekday Long Names.. Thanks for that :slight_smile:

• scott74

Na you can change the nick name but not the user name so you cannot Capitalize the provider as it is pulling from the user name I think..

The CSS for pagination works but not sure how that will work with needing it on one service but not the other. The vounteer to work concesssions would use it but not the parent teacher conference as it is only once every 4 months or so.

If there were a way to set times per week so you could make a whole month not open and then the next month have some openings then that might work.

No to many people active with this plugin yest I guess. .lol... thanks for your help though Max

• Arun Basil Lal

Hey Scott,

Lots of questions in here, let me try to answer as much as I can.

Question do I have to create each teacher as a user on the site for them to show as a provider because right now all I see is the name of my site in the drop down.

Yeah, each teacher has to be a service provider.

Can I have multiple teacher with each of there appointments seperates?

Each service provider / teacher can have different set of appointments

Can the appointments be automatically confirmed instead of pending .. I did not see that?

As of now a service provider need to confirm that. This need to go in as a feature request.

Is there a way to limit one person from trying to schedule two different appointment slots, so it would recognize the email trying to be used twice in the same day or week?

I don't think we have an option for that. I would have to check with our developer @Hakan to confirm that. Hakan, is this possible?

For the overflowing Wednesday, add this to your stylesheet:

.appointments-list table th {
        width: 100px;
    }

Okay, now what else am I missing? Did you figure out the rest?

• scott74

Yes,

1. I cannot figure out how to get the bios to show?

2. The parent teacher conferences are like every 4 months but show available every Thurs and Friday. I did not see a filter to select these working hours only on certain days of certain months.

3. Did not see a way to create different confirmation emails for the different services

4. Did not see a way for 1 service providers/teacher to handle two different services as the working hours would be different for those services EX... (parent teacher conference/ and that same teacher handling the volunteer sign up to work concession stand.)

5. Is a service provider suppose to give the subscriber role?

6. How is it suppose to look when a service provider logs in to check appointments? Is that only at the bottom of there user profile and they don't see it the way an admin would.

So basically both the services I need to put on here do not have set days or hours. They are intermittent. So would need a way to set days and hours per service maybe up to a year then tie certain providers to that service

Make sense...

• Patrick

Hi Scott,

I can help with one of your issues :slight_smile:

To get the bios to display, you must a assign a Bio page to the service provider under the Service Providers tab (can be any existing page on your site, or create a new one).

Then you need to edit your Make an Appointment page. Add the appropriate parameter to the following shortcode on that page:
    [app_service_providers]
    It could be:
    [app_service_providers description="excerpt"]
    ...or...
    [app_service_providers description="content"]

• scott74

So if this is for Parent teacher conferences with 12 teachers as providers, I have to create 12 more pages on the site for each teacher? And where do you put the picture ? feature image? in the content align left.?

I tried this but nothing shows.. also when you let the page create itself if creates tables and the page displays different with my appointments at the top when logged in ..when I add the short codes it does not display the same with the color codes at bottom alignment ect...

You can see all the pages here and I have the Angie tied to the bio page but nothing shows http://814media.com/bookings/make-an-appointment-2/

Although I love WPMU and the community , more and more I find myself stuck using quite a few plugins either with styling issues or vague documentation or some other snafu

• Patrick

Hiya Scott,

Yes, if you want a specific bio page for each provider, you must create them. The bio that displays on the appointments page will be the featured image. If you want the image to also display on the bio page itself, insert it in the post editor too.

You can see all the pages here and I have the Angie tied to the bio page but nothing shows http://814media.com/bookings/make-an-appointment-2/

I see the bio on this page: http://814media.com/bookings/book-appointment/?app_provider_id=3 (see screenshot)

You must click on the provider's name in order to trigger the display of the provider's bio.

Although I love WPMU and the community , more and more I find myself stuck using quite a few plugins either with styling issues or vague documentation or some other snafu

I hear ya, and believe me when I say, we are working on that. We've hired several new staff members (me included) to lighten the burden and distribute priority tasks.

One of our main priorities is improving documentation/manuals/demos/etc. In the meantime though, these forums are your best avenue to help iron out any wrinkles. You might also be interested in our Live Support where you can chat directly with our developers, designers and support staff. See the full schedule here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/live-support/

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• scott74

Thanks Pat.... I see the bio now but was not seeing it because It dos not appear unles s you hit show available times. Is there a way to either set the first option on show available providers to a blank or have the page update upon selection without having to hit the show available times?

Also the page that I let get created by the plugin show the exerpt and pic and the page I used your shortcode only shows the pic. Is there a way to string the exerpt and pic together in the shorcode?

I ended up using divs to aling the service and provider side by side like the default page created has, is that the correct way to do this?

• Patrick

Is there a way to either set the first option on show available providers to a blank or have the page update upon selection without having to hit the show available times?

Not that I know of, sorry :slight_frown:

Also the page that I let get created by the plugin show the exerpt and pic and the page I used your shortcode only shows the pic.

On which one of the 2 following pages did you use the shortcode?
    http://814media.com/bookings/book-appointment/?app_provider_id=3
    http://814media.com/bookings/make-an-appointment-2/?app_provider_id=3

I ended up using divs to aling the service and provider side by side like the default page created has, is that the correct way to do this?

Sure, divs are fine, but you may want to remove that red border :slight_smile:

• scott74

the short code is the one with red boxes.. I just used red border to see what I was working with..

There should be a way to have the service provider drop down to start with a blank or have the bio load of the default provider when you land on page without hitting show available times and also the times should load on selection without hitting show available times.

Think it could confuse the end user and why not eliminate a step.

If you select a different provider then go back to angie, you will see the bio loads so why it does not on initial page load when clicking on the link to get to the calendar page I don't know.

This seems like minor things that if this thread was seen by the dev could fix easily in a day.

It takes long enough doing all the research to find a plugin that does what you need it to do almost then be held up by things that would not be hard for a dev to fix

I have to have a proposal out this morning and know that they will not be happy with the couple of the things i have mentioned... Pay a pretty good premium for membership and would expect some things to be fixed rather quick without having to put in suggestion box and have so many of the same suggestions accumulate before it can progress :slight_smile:

• Patrick

This seems like minor things that if this thread was seen by the dev could fix easily in a day.

I've pinged the dev on these feature suggestions. But please keep in mind that our team of developers does have a workload of over 300 plugins and themes.

As updates to our product line are powered and inspired by member input - and we get a lot of that :slight_smile: - it is unrealistic to assume that a single day would suffice to bring your suggestions into a new release ready for distribution. If we did that (and there are some companies that do), we would get nothing but complaints about bugs and stuff.

Please have patience. In the meantime, we, the support staff, are here to help you with any hurdles you may encounter while installing/using our products.

• scott74

What I guess I meant to say, is I find it hard to believe no one else has run into these issues and reported them. Its seems every time I try a plugin, I have to go through this as if I am the first one to encounter. I don't see how anyone would have know how to add this bio feature.

These are great plugins and great ideas but really hard to use or present to a client without caulking the trim sort of speak...

Can you help me out with the excerpt ?

You said you the excerpt field for the bio. There is only a excerpt field on post and you can only attach a bio from pages.

How can I use break tags to put a teacher Title | Email | and Phone on separate lines..

Thanks

• Patrick

I just responded on your other thread, but will respond here too.

You're right about the excerpt, my error. Adding excerpt as a parameter to the shortcode pulls data from the text entered in the page editor. But it seems to strip all formatting: br, table, div, p, etc.

The best thing I can suggest for now would be to enter more content in the editor that what actually displays in the bio. That way, it automatically creates a More info link to the bio page where you can display stuff formatted however you like.

• Hakan

Hi,

First of all, please note that A+ is not designed for Conference or Event type appointments. The business is expected to be running whole year, with some minor exceptions.

Did you already check Events+? It may better fit to your case:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/

Here are the answers to your questions. This is what we have in A+

There should be a way to have the service provider drop down to start with a blank or have the bio load of the default provider when you land on page without hitting show available times and also the times should load on selection without hitting show available times.

Please read that "anyone" as "no preference". It will be changed like that as of V1.0.6

In most cases client does not have a service provider preference. If you look at similar applications there is always a no preference option. Plugin looks whoever available for those time slots. So it shows the availability of your business as a whole.

There is one exception to this: If there is only one service provider giving that particular service, then only that service provider is shown, no "anyone" option is there.

So it is not an unnecessary step to be skipped; it is another selection option. Still I can add an option to disable this after this version.

Please see FAQ:

I am not requiring advance payment from the users. It possible to automatically confirm appointments of certain users?
    Yes. Referring this filter create a function in your functions.php to set status as "confirmed" for the selected user, user role and/or service: $status = apply_filters( 'app_post_confirmation_status', $status, $price, $service, $worker, $user_id );

Also I have this on default theme in WP on full width page and the days flow into the next column. Is there a way to fix or shorten the day name to Weds and Thurs...

Please see Shortcodes tab:

long: If entered 1, long week days are displayed on the schedule table row, e.g. "Saturday" instead of "Sa". Default: "0"

Thus remove long="1" from the page.

Is there a way to limit one person from trying to schedule two different appointment slots, so it would recognize the email trying to be used twice in the same day or week?

Please see FAQ of the plugin:

How can I prevent a second appointment by a client until I confirm his first appointment?
    Enter a huge number, e.g. 10000000, in Minimum time to pass for new appointment field. Please note that this is not 100% safe and there is no safe solution against this unless you require payment to accept an appointment

If this parent teacher conference is just for one week and the next ones wont be for another 4 months. How do you get rid of the next button so people don't try to make appointments for the following week.

You can set this using Appointment limit (days) setting. If you enter 7 here client can apply for the next 7 days. But please note that A+ is designed for continuous businesses. Yours is a kind of Event.

Still you can achieve this by defining those days are holidays.

The parent teacher conferences are like every 4 months but show available every Thurs and Friday. I did not see a filter to select these working hours only on certain days of certain months.

You can select only thursday and Friday as working days, but as I told above, A+ is not for Event type appointments. You will have to define 8 months as holidays too. This will need some code customization as it will be impossible to make it manually. I can provide an example though.

They want people to be able to volunteer to work concession stand also. Would you make a separate calendar for this or show it as a service in the drop down like I have it on this demo page?

Whatever you wish. You can have another calendar only for a particular service on the same page. Use [app_schedule service="13"] . Replace 13 by that service ID.

How do you customize the confirmation email for two different services. If someone makes an appointment for parent teacher conference, I have the email set to say that your appointment is confirmed for parent teacher conference with Service_Provider which would be the teachers name.

All emails already accept placeholders SITE_NAME, CLIENT, SERVICE, SERVICE_PROVIDER, DATE_TIME. They will be replaced by their real values.

The service provider is pulled from the user name you create and you cannot use Capital Letters So it does not look as professional from the drop down or from the confirmation email having someones name in lowercase. Is there a way to fix this?

Enter a nickname for the user and select "Display name publicly as" this nickname.

Hello World recent post shows under the calender for some reason. Is there a way to turn the recent post off under the appoinment calendar?

It looks you have already fixed this.

Is there a way to make the screen refresh as the provider is selected in case someone forgets to hit show available times after selecting the provider?

I think this is possible. I will try to add this, to the next update (Not to V1.0.6 as it is already being released in a few hours).

If I missed some of your questions, please let me know. But I recommend to read FAQ part first.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• scott74

Thanks for all of that Hankan.. I have fixed some of this by trial and error. I did notice when landing on the page for the first time that if you have a bio for both service and provider, the service bio will automatically show but the provider, you have to switch to one and back to the other to get it to show.

I think you mentioned trying to get everything updated without having to hit the show times ect.. in the next version, maybe that will take care of it :slight_smile:

Thanks for giving actual code examples

• scott74

I am not requiring advance payment from the users. It possible to automatically confirm appointments of certain users?
    Yes. Referring this filter create a function in your functions.php to set status as "confirmed" for the selected user, user role and/or service: $status = apply_filters( 'app_post_confirmation_status', $status, $price, $service, $worker, $user_id );

I have put that code in my functions.php but cannot get an autoconfirm, is this correct spot for it?
    http://screencast.com/t/uVbtSx6aC

I also noticed I just updated to the new version. I think the times used to get greyed out as soon as the appointment was made even if it was pending, is this correct? They are not being greyed out right now, allowing someone to make the same appt?

Thanks

• Hakan

Hi,

These are the codes that you need to add to functions.php;

function my_auto_confirmation_function( $status, $price, $service, $worker, $user_id ) {
    	return 'confirmed';
    }
    add_filter( 'app_post_confirmation_status', 'my_auto_confirmation_function', 10, 5 );

If you have 2 service providers giving the same service for the selected time, there will be 2 appointment slots available. So that time slot will be greyed only after the second appointment.

This applies for 'no preference' type client selections.

If a client especially selects provider A for that time slot (or business owner assigns him to this appointment from admin side), he will not be available for a second appointment. But for 'no preference' or provider B selection there will be still another slot available.

Maybe this explains the necessity of 'no preference' field better.

In short, for each time slot, number all available service providers are calculated. Their working times and breaks are also taken into consideration. If this number is greater than reserve appointments (pending, confirmed, paid) then that slot will be available.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Patrick

Hi Scott,

In the version just released, when you change to a different service, the service description automatically updates, but users must click "Show Times" to update the calendar and populate the providers dropdown.

If multiple providers are listed for a particular service, then "No preference" will display in the dropdown until a provider is selected.

Have you had a chance to test your issue with the emails?

• scott74

Yes the email is working with the code Hakan gave me to put in the funtions.php file and the latest update..

Having the calendar update upon selections of provider automatically would be awesome. I think Hakan said he may try to implement that in future version.

Just incase someone forgot to hit show available times + one less step, no screen flash upon waiting for update ect.... maybe like an ajax style load on the calendar upon selectioin of the service provider .. think thats what its called :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.