Appointments+. Google Calendar Integrations

Hi,

I registered my client's site with wpmu primarily for the appointments+ plugin. Graphically, the plugins are attractive. It's too bad that I have to fiddle with another optimization plugin to minify HTML... Yet that might be a theme issue.

The main reason for this ticket is that Appointments+ is not what I expected. Instead of directly manipulating a Google calendar with pre-configured figured services (which is possible), I have an independently styled calendar (that doesn't match my 'custom' colors) and a form that isn't attractive (doesn't indicate required fields either). Also, recipient emails don't include the necessary metadata to create Google Calendar events through Gmail. Secondly, there is some interesting wording regarding the synchronization of Google Calendar data (via file) and I think this should all be included in the integration - it's really easy to use the API.

I'm still interested in work on a solution and I'm sure that WPMU will be responsive to my concerns. I look forward to the replies.

Thanks!

• James Morris

Hello Nick,

I hope you are well today.

I'm afraid I'm having some trouble understanding the specific issues you are having. I could use a little more clarification.

The styling that is used in the plugin is rather generic by default, of course, but is fully customizable to match your theme using the Additional CSS Rules section of the plugin. Is there some styling you've not been able to accomplish?

The emails have many options for passing data using the native macros. Is there a specific configuration for the emails you've not been able to accomplish?

What required field issues are you having?

If you could provide a link with a bit more detail of what you're wanting to accomplish, we will be happy to take a look and see if we can get you closer to what you're wanting to accomplish.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Nick

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. The styling is the lesser of my concerns, so it would be best if I concentrated on passing data via email, and if we can come back to that after...

There is a Google Developers resource (https://developers.google.com/gmail/markup/getting-started) that provides the necessary markup required for triggering calendar events - I anticipated that WPMU would have included something similar, and did test it out by copying and pasting - without positive results. It seems like an oversight not to be sending the data...

So, I feel the email sent from the plugin should include the data as indicated by the Google Developers resource I provided.

Right before posting my reply, I tested out the calendar and discovered that the Google Calendar event is generating a popup (not in new tab), and is getting blocked. It would be better if the event opened a new tab too... configuration?

Please let me know if the plugin configuration can be updated to include the markup and if the event can be opened in a new tab.

Thanks,

- Nick

• Ash

Hello Nick

It seems you want to trigger calendar event using email sent to a gmail account? How's about using built-in google calendar integration?

If you go to Dashboard > Appointments > Settings > Google Calendar then you can configure to map with your gcal. Also you can allow your service providers to map with their own google calendar.

Please let me know if the plugin configuration can be updated to include the markup and if the event can be opened in a new tab.

Google calendar should be open in a new window. Would you please try in another browser?

Though you can allow it to open in same window. For that, please go to Dashboard > Appointments > Settings > Google Calendar and check the box for "Open Google Calendar in the Same Window".

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Nick

Hi Ash,

Thanks - the settings were fairly simple - I configured the Calendar appointment to open up in a new tab. It does not look like the service provider is being invited to the appointment = is there a setting for that? As for browser, I use Chrome, so I'm sure that's not the problem.

Can you say anything about the markup sample that I provided via link? Without the markup, emails that notify both the person making the appointment and the service provider, do not include the markup and even with the HTML email addon - they look very generic.

...and, I'm still hoping that there is a css class or something that can inject an asterisk "*" for the required fields - it's another oversight that should be addressed. For the form, there should be the ability to include fields, and label them as required, or optional - like every other web form.

I don't want to start hacking the plugin, is there anyway to get these simple things added to the next version or something that will provide my clients with a satisfactory plugin?

Thanks!

- Nick

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Nick,

I apologize for the delay here.

It does not look like the service provider is being invited to the appointment = is there a setting for that?

I'm very sorry but I'm not sure what do you mean by " service provider is being invited"? Does appointment are not added to specific service provider? Did you select service provider before booking appointment?

Can you say anything about the markup sample that I provided via link? Without the markup, emails that notify both the person making the appointment and the service provider, do not include the markup and even with the HTML email addon - they look very generic.

That markup is not available at the moment in the plugin. But I see that it would be some nice addition to Appointments+ - could you make a thread in our Features and Feedback forum for that one? https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions
    This way it won't get lost here between the others topics we are discussing and more members will be able to support it.

For the form, there should be the ability to include fields, and label them as required, or optional - like every other web form.

You can do that by editing the conformation shortcode on page where you added calendar for appointments:

You can also add new fields to that form using "Additional fields" add-on.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.