Appointments+ How to handle gaps in a service

Hello, I am using Appointments+

My client is a salon and has some services like "Foiling" that takes a total time of 135minutes. However, the service is actually split up into stages. For the foiling service its 45 min with stylist, then you let the client sit for 45 min for 'processing' (service provider doing nothing), and finally the service provider would finish with the client in 45min. At the 'processing' stage the service provider can actually take another 45 min appointment, say Men's cut. Is there any way to do that?

For example, client A books a Foil (135min) from 9AM-1135AM, but we know from 945aM-1030am the stylist is actually sitting around doing nothing but they currently cant take appoinments online since that time is completely booked off. Can we use durations or padding to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Tin

• Ash

Hello @hoangker

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Nope, this is not possible out of the box I am afraid. But you could be little tricky.

You can use another provider that will process the services in the interval time, but basically, the same provider will work. In that case, you need to add 45 mins padding after each service.

For example,

Provider A will work 9am - 11.15am and then 45 mins break. He has no work in 9.45am to 10.30am.

Provider B will work 9.45 to 10.30, then 10.30 to 11.15 he has no work then again 11.15 to 12.00.

But same provider will maintain the calendar. Note that, in this all parts need to be 45 mins long only.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

• hoangker

Hi @Ashok,

thanks for your quick reply. I hope your well as well. So, I kind of get what your doing. But, not completely.

You can use another provider that will process the services in the interval time, but basically, the same provider will work. In that case, you need to add 45 mins padding after each service.

First I don't understand why we need to add padding after.
    Are you saying first to add 45 min of padding 'After' to the service or the service provider ? For example, If I have Service Foil = 135min (45+45gap+45) I would need to activate the padding Add-on->Goto Services->Find Service Foil->Add 45 min padding After?
    Doesn't padding add extra time to individual service and it would make the whole appointment 45+45gap+45+45padding = 180min??

Secondly, from what I understand adding a dummy service provider might be very labour intensive?
    I have to potentially add a different dummy provider for every hour that Service Provider A might have the Foil service booked? For example, now if a client booked a 10AM appointment I would need to go in, right after the booking for Service Provider A, and change Service Provider B working to 10:45AM-1130AM so that Service Provider B can take appointments. This would need to happen for 11Am, 12PM, etc. Is my understanding conclusion accurate? if not please correct me. =)

Thank you,

Tin

• Ash

Hello @Tin

I hope you are well today.

Doesn't padding add extra time to individual service and it would make the whole appointment 45+45gap+45+45padding = 180min??

You are right, but that's the tricks. Let me explain. I am showing two providers A and B, but in your system both providers are same person.

For A: 0900 - 0945 0945 - 1030 1030 - 1115 1115 - 1200
      (45 mins work) (45 mins no work) (45 mins work) (45 mins padding)
      For B: (45 mins work) (45 mins no work) (45 mins work)

So you see, in the padding time of first service, the provider actually is working for another service, sorry if it still doesn't make sense :slight_frown: Please let me know.

You can try a dummy provider too, it should work.

Otherwise, you can try @pxwm's solution, I didn't try his one, but seems useful.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
      Ash

• pxwm

Please Note1: I've made some revisions since posting so please re-read

Hi @Ashok - I hope you don't mind me chiming in

Hi @Tin

If I've understood your requirement correctly then you may wish to consider the following, but it does mean an intervention by admin and you would have to test to confirm the client doesn't receive an email notification.

Please Note2: This will only work for one Service Provider offering the 'Foiling' Service.

1) Create a new Service called Foiling Part 2' set to 45mins and assign the Service Provider offering the 'Foiling' Service to this new Service
    3) Create a new Appointment page and set it to Password protected so only Admin can access the page and include the relevant shortcodes and then revise the following shortcodes:-

From: [app_services] To: [app_services autorefresh="1" worker ="x"] with 'x' being the ID of the 'Foiling Part 2' Service

From: [app_service_providers] To: [app_service_providers autorefresh="1" service="x"] with 'x' being the ID of the Service Provider offering the 'Foiling' Service

1) On Admin notification that a client has booked a "Foiling" service, Admin would then revise the following:-

a) Change the time of the 'Foiling' Service to 45mins and select Update and this will reset the time of the 'Foiling' Service to 45mins time
    DO NOT select the checkbox 'Confirm (Re-send confirmation email)
    2) Then login to the new Appointment page.
    On the Appointment page you can only make an appointment for the Service 'Foiling Part 2 assigned to the new Service Provider.
    Create an appointment for the Service 'Foiling Part 2' 45mins after the end of the Service 'Foiling Part 1'.

This should now have freed up the middle 45mins for another appointment to be made.

Please Note3: You may have to add some bespoke code to the main Appointment page to 'Hide' the new Service 'Foiling Part 2'.

I hope this helps and please let me know if this works for you.

Regards
    SteveB

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.