Our Appointments+ plugin has been working for a few weeks. We just noticed that we haven’t seen any new customer created appointments and saw that they actually have been scheduling them but they are not being sent to our Google Calendar. I checked the settings and everything looks fine. The Google Calendar still syncs to the plugin meaning that if I schedule on the calendar the plugin recognizes the time slot as unavailable. I also ran the test on the settings page of the plugin for the google calendar and the test appointment shows on our google calendar. It seems like the issue is with the plugin not the calendar.