Appointments+ problem with automatic emails

Hello again,

Hello,

I had another ticket open but there were multiple issues and only one was addressed so I'll open this ticket and another so they can be handled separately.

I recently updated Appointments+ to 1.7, WordPress to 4.5, and later Divi to help with my first issue. The form now works, users can select the date and enter their information and submit the form. The admin immediately gets and email saying an appointment has been cancelled instead of an appointment needs confirmation (even so, the appointment in admin is in pending, not in removed).

Once I go into admin and approve the pending appointment, the user and admin get two copies of the automated emails. I'd like both of these issues fixed for a better user experience.

Please help.

Thanks,
Guy

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

I hope you are having a nice day so far!

Firstly, I would kindly ask you to update to the latest version of Appointments+ - it has a fix for certain notifications.

If that does not solve your issue, I would ask you to send over FTP credentials, so we can make some tests onsite.

I would also like to ask you for permission to do tests on your site by creating accounts and appointments. We will be careful while testing, always making backup files and reverting if anything goes wrong.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question".
    Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Ivan Shulev"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Thank you and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Guy

Hello Ivan,

I sent you the info and hope you can get this all working perfectly. It was great for a long time before these updates (to the plugin and wordpress).

I have updated to 1.8.1 - it did fix one thing - I now 'appointment requires confirmation' email instead of an appointment has been cancelled. Users and admin still get two identical emails after confirmation.

Also - I hope I don't have to open a new ticket for this but since the start of this update process, when I block a time off in my google calendar, it still shows as available on the front-end. Integration is partially working, because when a user books an appointment, it does show up in the calendar. Please help me with this or let me know if I need to open a new ticket.

Thanks,
    Guy

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

I took the liberty of applying for an appointment, confirming it and canceling it later.

I received only one email this time. The first test I made, you did the confirmation and double confirmation emails were received on my end (I assume yours as well).

I believe this time you received only one as confirmation for my appointment?

Please refresh the cache on your browser - http://refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/ or try a different browser / incognito mode.

There was an earlier version of the plugin, which provided a checkbox for resending emails and I assume that was left in your cache. In later versions that option was removed and now it could be causing your system to resend emails.

I hope this works and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Guy

Hi Ivan,

Thanks very much for all your follow-through today. You've been very helpful and I greatly appreciate it!

I'm used to checking that (Re)send box and that indeed is what's causing 2 emails to be sent to both the user and the admin. As per your test, I'm not checking it and each of us are only getting one.

It was a good feature because it allowed me/admin to make a change to an already existing/confirmed appointment and save it, and not check the box and thus the user wouldn't get an email again. Now I can't even save an extra note without checking the box and causing the user to get another email.

I've cleared my cache and also used a different browser but the (Re)send box is still there in 1.8.1. I hope you choose to keep it and restore it's original functionality.

Guy

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

Please update to the latest version of the plugin as it includes many improvements, including notes about appointments.

Regarding the GCal problem, there are also fixes regarding that, but it might not be your issue in particular. I have contacted developers and will do my best to fix this issue!

I hope this helps and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Guy

Hi Ivan,

I've updated. I noticed that I can now save a note without needing to click Re(send) to save it. It saves the note in admin but it doesn't sync that into gcal.

Also, no change at all regarding gcal sync. Many test and many waiting periods but no change on the front end.

Thanks for contacting the developers and attending to this. I appreciate all you're doing.

Hopefully very soon this will be resolved and everything will be working even better than before.

Guy

• Guy

Hi Ivan,

From prior tickets, everything else but this seems to be working. Something strange is happening and I'm losing the original notes in admin. It's important that this gets addressed.

Here's a description and there are screenshots:

I book an appointment as a user on the front end.
    I confirm the appointment from admin.
    User and admin get 1 email each.
    Front end calendar shows time blocked off.
    Gcal eventually syncs and blocks time off.
    I go to admin to update a note and it saves it.
    It never appears updated in Gcal.
    I go to admin and the original note is gone and replaced by the service name and client name. This happens even if I don't save a new note. It happens automatically after the gcal sync.
    Also, there are now two Google Calendar Description boxes instead of one and they are greyed out after the sync but seem to contain all the original info intact.
    Gcal does save the original note, it doesn't get updated with my new note (which was what I needed), but at least it doesn't get the altered version that admin has.

This feels like one step forward two or three steps back but I'm optimistic that you'll find the solution.

Guy

• Guy

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for keeping me in mind and letting me know. And thanks for the temporary fix. Right now I can create an appointment from the front-end, confirm it, see that it syncs and shows up in gcal, go back to admin and edit the note. The note does not change on its own to the service name and client name. However, the new note does not appear in gcal even after a long while. And there still remain two greyed out Google Calendar Description boxes, which store the original/unedited note.

It's getting there. Thank you.

Any idea when all this will be resolved and working perfectly? As well as the disappearing appointments, which is still a major concern?

Guy

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

I removed the second Google calendar description box by adding the following code to your themes' functions.php:

add_action( 'admin_head', 'wpmu_5433_hide_google_descr' );

function wpmu_5433_hide_google_descr(){
    	if('Appointments' == get_admin_page_title()) { ?>
    		<style>
    			.appointments .inline-edit-col-left > .inline-edit-col > .title:last-child {
    				display: none;
    			}
    		</style>
    	<?php }
    }

However, the new note does not appear in gcal

It appears the Notes are something for you to add locally on your site and they are not supposed to be synced with the GCal. I understand your confusion, but currently Notes and Google Calendar Description are two different fields and should be treated as such.

In the future they might be combined and synced, but for now this functionality is not present.

Regarding the disappearing appointments, what was their status? Active/completed/etc?

Any idea when all this will be resolved and working perfectly?

Our developers are working hard to constantly improve our products and fix issues, but no estimated time could be given.

I hope this helps and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Guy

Hi Ivan,

The fact that after the recent update two google description boxes appeared instead of one is not the issue. It was of no use before anyway. The point you are making is flawed and I am not confused. In gcal, there is a description area that did and still shows the fields populated by client name, email, phone, service, provider, and notes/details (basically what we have in our registration form). It just does not update the notes area but it used to. I haven't tested it to see if I change the service, will it update the service in the gcal description or now but it's worth testing.

I used to be able to edit the note in admin and it would update in google calendar, so when I get a reminder or simply wish to check the appointment details, I don't have to login to the admin to see the note. This used to work and now it doesn't. So it's a result of the changes made in the update.

The disappearing appointments caused me a serious issue earlier today. The status was active - it hadn't happened yet. I'm not sure if old appointments have been deleted. Several future appointments keep disappearing and I might have to turn sync off and do it manually to avoid any future problems. Hopefully that will help avoid or circumvent the problem.

The amount of time and effort I've put into these issues since the update is hard to justify to myself and I'm doubting whether appointments+ will ever recover. I'm hoping so and I hope that I won't cringe when another app+ update is needed. Are any senior partners looking at this? It's not just a programming issue at this point, it's a business issue.

I wish you an awesome day and that you have great news to share with all of us!

Guy

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

The point you are making is flawed and I am not confused.

I am sorry for saying that. The fault is all mine - I am still new here and have limited experience with previous versions of our products.

As I've said, I reported the note sync issue as a bug and the plugin developer should be looking into this shortly.

Regarding the missing appointments, one of my colleagues was able to replicate this and I've implemented a solution on your site that fixed the issue for him.

I am sorry for all the inconvenience and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Guy

Hi Ivan,

Thank you. I appreciate it. I haven't had a deleted appointment/event since you implemented the fix.

FYI - it's not just the note field that doesn't get updated in gcal. If I change the appointment type or other details, it also doesn't get updated in gcal.

Please keep me posted on the progress - and also - once an update is available, does that mean certain fixes you made in my functions.php or elsewhere need to be removed?

Thanks,

Guy

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

The changes I've made to your themes' functions.php should stay. The fix for the deleted appointments was made directly in the plugin files and I believe it will be implemented in the next release, so there won't be a need to change that again.

I will monitor closely this topic and when a new version of the plugin is out I will make sure everything is working properly.

Thank you and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

Before posting my last answer about what I will need to do after a new release of the plugin comes out, I uploaded a fresh copy of a plugin file which did not contain the fix for the deleted appointments.

My bad and I am sorry for that! The fix is back again and hopefully no appointments will be deleted.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

I was able to replicate this and indeed it seems the fix is responsible here.

I will figure out a solution.

Does your canceled appointment get properly placed in the removed appointments section?

For me everything looks as it should on my site and only the GCal does not remove it.

Thank you for your patience and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience (again!).

Since both the deleted appointments and cancelled appointments issues come from the same peace of code, it seems that the last fix reintroduced the previous issue.

I am putting the previous fix (the one that stops the unwanted removal of appointments), since I believe it is a priority.

Then it is back to the drawing board for me and my colleague developers for fixing the cancelled appointments issue.

Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Guy

Hi Ivan,

I see. You made the right choice. Better that appointments not be removed by themselves. I trust you'll find the solution that works for both issues and cancelled appointments will be removed from gcal.

The other remaining issue still unresolved (that was working before the update that started this all) is that once an appointment is made, a change on the backend to a field e.g. the service type or the notes section, does not update that in gcal or in the emails sent out.

Please keep me posted.

Thanks for your continued efforts,
    Guy

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

I hope you are having a nice day so far and I am sorry for the delay here!

There is an update of the Appointments plugin, which contains a fix for the notes that are not being updated issue.

However, I would like to do the update myself and make sure everything goes according to plan.

Do I have your permission to do that? If yes, I will post here when I have done it and will watch closely for your response if everything is working accordingly.

I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

• Ivan Shulev

Hey Guy ,

I have updated your plugin with the included deleted appointments fix.

I hope everything is working properly!

We are still testing the cancelled appointments not being synced to GCal. The reason it takes so much time is because most of us can't replicate this. In fact, only one colleague has so far and the results vary.

Please test whichever feature you would like and if there are any issues me and my colleagues are here to help!

Thank you for your patience and understanding so far and I wish you an awesome day ahead!

Ivan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.