Appointments+ time zone does not match google calendar

Hi,

I am having issues with integrating Appointments+ with my Google calendar. I followed the directions very carefully and the calendars are able to sync. The problem is that the appointment times are not the same on the plugin and Google. It seems like the events are using the default calendar's time zone not the plugin calendar's time zone. My server's local time is EST.

I have been syncing the two calendars after each attempt and been adding a new event to the plugin to see what happens on the Google calendar. Here is what I have noticed so far.

If I set the appointments calendar and my default calendar to (GMT +0) then add an event it seems to work.

If I change the appointments calendar to (EST -4) and leave the default calendar as GMT it seems to work. When I check the event's time zone it is GMT, the same as my default calendar.

If I set the default calendar to EST and the plugin calendar to GMT the created event will be EST.

If I change the event's time on the Google Calendar it adjusts proportionately on the plugin calendar, but if I delete events in Google the plugin does not remove the events.

It seems to reference the wrong calendar's time zone, but you are the experts.

What should I try next?

Regards,

Dave

• Michael Bissett

Hey @qtree-systems, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

Does the "default calendar" mean the Primary calendar inside of Google Calendar? I ask because we advise against using that (as noted in the Google Calendar setup instructions), and I wanted to confirm that, first off. :slight_smile:

It seems like the events are using the default calendar's time zone not the plugin calendar's time zone.

What's the time zone that you're wanting to have the appointments show up in? Would it be EST, or GMT +0?

Also, in regards to this:

If I change the event's time on the Google Calendar it adjusts proportionately on the plugin calendar, but if I delete events in Google the plugin does not remove the events.

Was the appointment created in Appointments+, on Google Calendar? As this notes:

Note on deleting an appointment or event: To prevent authority conflicts, deletion is only possible from the side that appointment/event created in the first place. For example, you cannot delete an appointment using Google Calendar if it has been saved there by A+. You must delete the appointment using A+ admin pages, which will automatically remove the event associated with it. But deleting such an event in Google Calendar will NOT remove the appointment.

Please advise,
    Michael

• qtree-systems

Hi Michael,

Yes. The default calendar is the primary Google calendar. It is not the calendar that I have linked to the Appointments+ plugin. I am using the calendar ID from the appointments calendar that I created for the plugin.

I would like everything to be in EST, but being able to choose other time zones would be nice.

I have been creating the test appointments on the page that the Appointments+ plugin generated. I would like to be able to create them in the Google calendar, but that is the next step.

Thanks for the clarification about deleting events.

What should I try next?

Regards,

Dave

• Val

Hi Dave - hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I just had a similar thing happen to me and the real issue was that my website time zone wasn't set properly. So even though by Appts+ was setting an appt at 10am - the calendar was showing it at 5. Turns out my website time zone was off. Maybe double check your general settings and make sure your site time zone is the same as the calendar.

Just a suggestion!
    Val

• qtree-systems

Hi Val,

That did it! Thanks a bunch.

I have a couple more questions.

When I create a new event through the plugin it imports the event onto both the appointments calendar and the primary calendar. Can I choose whether it goes to the primary calendar?

If I create an event on the appointments Google calendar it shows up in the plugin under "Reserved by GCal". Do I have to confirm the event for it to block off the time on the appointments+ webpage? If I do confirm the appointment created on the appointments Google calendar it still does not block off the time on the webage calendar. Thoughts?

Thank you very much for the help.

Regards,

Dave

• Michael Bissett

Hey @qtree-systems! :slight_smile:

Glad to see that @Val jumped in here to help out, thanks for doing that! (just sent some points your way, as an additional thank-you)

If I create an event on the appointments Google calendar it shows up in the plugin under "Reserved by GCal". Do I have to confirm the event for it to block off the time on the appointments+ webpage? If I do confirm the appointment created on the appointments Google calendar it still does not block off the time on the webage calendar. Thoughts?

Any event imported from Google Calendar should already block off the time on the calendar inside of Appointments+, the question on my mind here though is... do you have any service providers set up on this particular site on the network?

I ask because if you set up the Google Calendar integration inside of:

Appointments -> Settings -> Google Calendar

Then it'll assign any imported events from Google Calendar, and assign them to no specific provider (it'll come up as "Our Staff"), so a provider's calendar won't be blocked off.

Please advise,
    Michael

• qtree-systems

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for the help. I think I understand it now. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I link the plugin via the Appointments+ settings to a "main" google calendar. (not the primary calendar) Then inside the user's profile I link that specific user to an "individual" google calendar. Events created in the plugin then go to both the "main" calendar and the "individual" calendar. The event then displays on the Appointments+ "active appointments" list and blocks off the time on the front end of the plugin. It seems that the appointment is also created on the calendar for the person that reserved the appointment on the plugin's front end.

If I create an event on the google "main" calendar then the event is imported into the plugin without having a service provider assigned (i.e. "our staff") and it does not block off any time. If I create the event on the google "individual" calendar then the event is imported into the plugin under "Reserved by GCal", is assigned to the specific service provider, and blocks off the time for that provider on the plugin's front end.

To delete an event I must do it from where it was created, either on the google calendar or through the plugin.

One thing I noticed, when someone reserves a time on the plugin's front end and the event is placed on both the "main and "individual" google calendars, 2 calendar events are created on the calendar for the person that reserved the time. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Regards,

Dave

• Michael Bissett

Hey @qtree-systems, really sorry for the delay here! Been pretty busy this week with things. :slight_frown:

I link the plugin via the Appointments+ settings to a "main" google calendar. (not the primary calendar) Then inside the user's profile I link that specific user to an "individual" google calendar. Events created in the plugin then go to both the "main" calendar and the "individual" calendar.

Yep, that's correct. :slight_smile:

The event then displays on the Appointments+ "active appointments" list and blocks off the time on the front end of the plugin. It seems that the appointment is also created on the calendar for the person that reserved the appointment on the plugin's front end.

Yep, that's correct too. :slight_smile:

If I create an event on the google "main" calendar then the event is imported into the plugin without having a service provider assigned (i.e. "our staff") and it does not block off any time.

It would block off time for the "No specific provider" option (if you're allowing folks to book appointments for no provider in particular), but yes, you'd need to create the event inside the service provider's calendar in order to have the appointment assigned to the provider, as you mentioned down here:

If I create the event on the google "individual" calendar then the event is imported into the plugin under "Reserved by GCal", is assigned to the specific service provider, and blocks off the time for that provider on the plugin's front end.

As for this:

To delete an event I must do it from where it was created, either on the google calendar or through the plugin.

Yes, this is also correct. :slight_smile:

One thing I noticed, when someone reserves a time on the plugin's front end and the event is placed on both the "main and "individual" google calendars, 2 calendar events are created on the calendar for the person that reserved the time. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Which calendar are you referring to, are you referring to the one inside of Appointments+? And is the 2nd appointment showing up as being assigned to "Our staff"?

If so, then inside of:

Appointments -> Settings -> Google Calendar

You can set the Integration Mode to "A+ -> GCal (Only export appointments)", that'll make sure that the events aren't imported from the main calendar, thus preventing the duplicate entry from being created.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.