Are Buddypress member's blogs/sites just like any other WP blog/site

I understand that the theme for the primary buddypress site has special requirement. But can the admin or buddypress member install any theme on the blogs offered to members?

Personally I an interested in using Appthemes; jobroller and classifies along with sites created with Artisteer. I also want to use Formidable Pro for Forms.

I moved this post to WPMUdev's Buddypress forum. I tried to delete this post but could not. Here is the link to the post in the Buddypress forum:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/are-buddypress-members-blogssites-just-like-any-other-wp-blogsite-1?replies=1#post-198477

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Sean.

I understand that the theme for the primary buddypress site has special requirement. But can the admin or buddypress member install any theme on the blogs offered to members?

That really comes down the theme and how its coded. But yeah in theory any theme could work on any site.

However if a BuddyPress theme for example called BP functions and they don't exist (because BP is not installed or the function is not available to a sub site) you would get an error unless the theme was coded to first check if BP is loaded or if the function is available before trying to use the function.

Hope that makes sense. :slight_smile:

Personally I an interested in using Appthemes; jobroller and classifies along with sites created with Artisteer. I also want to use Formidable Pro for Forms.

Keep in mind using App themes restrict your users to using only that theme for that functionality. The plus side would be tailored design to features but the negative is the fact they are tied to using that theme unless another theme replicated the functionality.

I'm sure you foresaw that but wanted to mention it in case. :slight_smile:

What Joe and Joe on the other thread are also correct :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Sean

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

I like the social aspect of Buddypress and am hoping to set up a paid membership using WPMUdev plugins. I want to include a bunch of different services that would usually be paid for separately as a package to paying network members. So instead of paying for job listings, business listings and classifieds listings separately they just pay for one network wide membership and they get all the services as a network member. This should allow me to use subscription for services that usually only allow paying for fixed time periods.

I haven't worked out how all the separate services will downgrade if a member stops paying for their membership yet. Hopefully it can be done in a way that depreciates a members benefits automatically when the stop paying and resets their benefits if they start paying again.

• Sean

Hi Tim,

I haven't yet. My guess it that in the worst case their listings will persist but they will not be able to edit them. Assuming that WPMUdev membership pluggin notifies me when they stop paying I can manually downgrade some of their services. I am guessing that I could also set up an automatic email to inform the member of the services they no longer have access to.

As a work around, I suppose I could use my notification email as a trigger for a script to send an email back to the WP install to downgrade certain services. I assume there must be a way to trigger specific actions in WP with an email using a plugin.

I would just parse the email I receive about the canceling member to identify the member that should be downgraded and use that in the script triggered email back to Wordpress.

I will let you know how it goes after testing.

Kind regards,
    Sean

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.