Are the updates that were suppose to be done on my site complete yet?

Hello,
I have two questions:
1. Are the updates that were suppose to be done on my site complete yet?

2. Uploads to my site are not working and I show this message:

"Upload folder is not writable. Export and file upload features will not be functional."

Thanks,
Mike

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Mike Hall, Michael here.

On #1, that'd be something we'll want to continue over on your other thread, I've notified my colleague Adam of this (since he's more up-to-date than I am on that one).

As for #2 (which we'll focus on in this thread, for clarity's sake), a few questions cross my mind, to nail down the cause of this one:

A. What are the file permissions on your site's /wp-content folder? How about the /uploads folder?

If they were changed to 777 temporarily, does that get things going? (folders should be set to 755, the object in setting it to 777 is to see if it truly is a permissions issue)

B. This will most likely be a question for your host, but how's PHP being executed? Changing the method of execution can be required, like what this user reported:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/upload-folder-is-not-writable-3#post-4485695

(file permissions were also mentioned there as well)

C. If the plugins were temporarily disabled, does that restore the upload functionality? If you're wanting a quick guide on this (that still keeps the plugins active in the database), we've got such a guide over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Howdy @mike282

Hope you are keeping well !

Working alongside @michael55 here, will be happy to investigate this for you. Can you please send in

Subject: "Attn: Jude "
    - WordPress super admin/ admin username + password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel details
    - phpMyAdmin details ( To check database )
    - MySQL details ( IF you dont have phpmyadmin)

- link back to this thread for reference

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Cheers
    Jude

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @mike282,

As for this:

and the back of the store has seemed to changed and does not seem right.

The store's changed because of the upgrade to MarketPress 3.0, as more than one thing changed there. If you're really wanting to go back to the prior version, though, that can be done.

The updates recently done would seem to have caused other issues, may I ask what else has specifically changed?

Also, in regards to the issue originally to be focused on in this thread, that being the file permissions notice you mentioned, I've just taken care of that for you.

I had to change the file permissions for your site's /uploads folder to be very permissive temporarily (setting them to 777), and then change the permissions back to normal (755).

Can you confirm that the upload notice has disappeared on your end?

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi again @mike282

Just chipping in here, we CAN revert back to the old site from the backup Kyle from BytePro used or the other more recent one. I'd strongly advise against it as there are a bunch of security holes and your site will be vulnerable.

I agree with the WordPress.org team that you need to get to the latest version of WP and update your plugins and fix any issues that arise from this as opposed to continue using older software.

Like @michael55 suggested we can move even MP back to the older version but its best to use the more recent and updates supported version. I see you already have a ticket about the MP issues here

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-signed-up-for-the-monthly-support-and-gave-the-login-info

Let me know whichever way you want to proceed, will be happy to help. I see you've already had to wait a long time on this. Also is anything else broken on the site like Michael earlier asked you ?

Cheers
    Jude

• Mike Hall
    • Flash Drive

Hello, this is what Ken from BytePro said of the site:

"I just spot-checked your website and you may want to talk to them again.

I’m not seeing any product images, and even when I view a single product page there are no product images. I remember there being a lot of images of your products, but they aren’t showing up now.

Also all the Product Categories links, the ones from the left-hand side column, take me to “Not Found” pages. So sorry things are still broken. I hope they can get it working for you again.

-ken"

• Mike Hall
    • Flash Drive

At this point, i just want my site working again. I have been getting calls from potential customers that they can not open page which is costing us money on loss sales. I am thinking I may have to leave WordPress and go with a platform that will work for us...

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @mike282,

Let's go from the bottom up:

if you try to go to http://www.ductworks.net is says that the connection may not be private

That would be due to the SSL certificate for your site being expired, that's something you would need to renew, and would be something you'd want to talk with your host about (as we can't tackle the renewing of that certificate).

Not only is it giving you that notice, but since it's expired, images, scripts, etc, that are being loaded over SSL are broken. One example of this would be the product pages mentioned earlier, how images are no longer showing up there (there can be exceptions where the content does load correctly, but that's the exception, and not the rule).

Now, as to MarketPress itself, I've gone ahead and downgraded it for you, so once that SSL certificate of yours has been renewed, things should be looking & working the same as they did before.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.