Are there spammy pop-up plugins?

Is there such a thing as a spammy/malicious plugin? For some reason, I've been noticing lately that, regardless of whether I access one of my many sites on a multisite network on mobile or on my Mac desktop, I will occasionally get pop-ups --new tabs opening with spammy content in them. It seems inconsistent (I can't always click on the same link to prompt it to happen, and my ad-blocker is turned off on my domain so I can try seeing where it comes from), and I can't think of what would be causing it.

Is there any way to try and track this down to its source?

• Milan

Hello Azurite

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Please conduct plugin conflict test as described in our this support manual as soon as possible. It should give you culprit if its from any recently or previously installed plugin.

If it does not help you, please use Virus Scaner tool to scan the files/folder on your host. If you are not sure about this, contact your hosting provider and ask them to do this for you.

If you remember any recent changes which could have caused this, please do let me know.

Look forward to hearing back from you.
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Azurite

Hey all,
    So usually when I deactivate and reactivate plugins, I do it one at a time, working my way back from recent ones to older ones. A lot of plugins I know by name, so I don't think to check if they're still up on the WordPress Repository or even Google them for current reviews.

BIG MISTAKE.

Turns out a plugin that had been recommended to me ended up being adware/malware --SweetCaptcha. My host figured it out, and after deactivating it and deleting it (and confirming it through my cPanel), I found out it had been removed from the Repository, got a host of bad reviews, was reported on Sucuri.com, etc.

Lesson learned: when troubleshooting your plugins, verify they're up-to-date on the Repository through a quick search first. Read reviews, and search for websites with news/information about plugins-- if a lot seem to be saying the same thing (good or bad), that can help you decide what to do with a potentially troublesome plugin that you're not sure if you should trust or not!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.