Are transients slowing my website down?

Hi

My website has been getting slower and slower, particularly the backend. I noticed there were a huge number of transients in database so I installed a transient cleaner plugin but this only removes expired ones. The plugin tells me there are currently 5660 timed transients in the database (13 have expired).

Is this the problem? The slowness is getting worse and worse and now (it may not be related but) I can't upload images to the Media Library - it seems to only upload the oiginal, not any of the different crops and sizes - and a recent upgrade of the Mailchimp for WP plugin failed to work - getting the white screen on one of the options pages.

Any advice would be gratefully received!
many thanks
mariette

• Milan

Hello @Mariette,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for the asking. :slight_smile:

I searched over google but can't find any article which says transient api can cause site slow down. Instead of developers are saying that transient api can be used to optimize site load time rather than site slow down.

Could you please conduct plugin memory usage test with this nice plugin
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/ ?

Above plugin will give you performance report of your site. Another thing you can try is to ask your host provider about this behaviour. There can be problem of site slow down if your are on shared hosting plan.

I hope this helps you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best Regards,
    Milan Savaliya.

• faydra_deon

@Mariette:

A plugin I use is WP-Optimize: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-optimize/ One of the things it does is allows me to delete all transients when I'm deleting old revisions and spam comments.

I'd also suggest adding WP Security Audit Log: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-security-audit-log/. This will allow you to see if someone's or several someones are trying to hack your site.

Sometimes a site slow down has to do with hackers sending thousands and thousands of script requests to try to crack your password and get into your site to cause maliciousness. Your inability to do things you used to be able to do might be a "denial of service." attack.

Another plugin I use is IP Blacklist Cloud: https://wordpress.org/plugins/ip-blacklist-cloud/. This plugin will allow you to see from IP someone is trying to log in from, what username and password they're using to try to log in and how many times they've used those credentials to try to get into your site. When you see that they're doing this, you can check a box to Blacklist anyone using that IP from trying to log into your site. If you do decide to use the plugin, you should AutoBlock the following usernames, as they are the ones hacker try first:

{login}
    aaa
    adm
    adm1
    admin
    admin1
    administrator
    manager
    support
    sysadmin
    test
    user
    qwerty
    root

I hope some of that helps.

Faydra...

• Mariette

Hello

Thanks you both for your tips. I appreciate your quick responses.

Milan - I have installed P3 Profiler as you suggest but it doesn't seem able to complete the process. It starts going through the pages but then the screen freezes, still with scanning message but not apparent activity (after half an hour or so). I guess it's a related problem. I think it might be the shared hosting can't cope with this website because it does have a large number of photos and 30+ active plugins.
    I am thinking of changing hosting but don't want to change and find I still have the same issue...

Faydra - I am using Wordfence to record and block hacking attempts and the site doesn't seem to being hit any more than usual. Also Sucuri, WP Spamshield and Bulletproof Security. Perhaps overkill?!

thanks
    Mariette

• Milan

Hello @Mariette,

I hope you are having a good day and sorry for being late here.

Its sad to hear that you can't even use p3-profiler plugin. I strongly suggest you contact your hosting provider, or change hosting plan.

Once you be able to use p3-profiler plugin you can easily check which plugin can cause site slow down by comparing each of runtime. Furthermore you can view detailed analytics generated by plugin for more depth look.

I hope this helps you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Cheers!
    Milan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.