as of the update students cannot get past DETAILS to get to units

Please help

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @iBabko

I hope you're well today, and happy new year!

I just updated my test install and all appears to be working correctly there; students can navigate from course details to the units when they are registered for the course.

You can test it out on my site with username: tester & pass: tester here:
    http://coursepress.patrickcohen.net/

Can you please enable support access in your WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin as seen here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

That way, we can pop into your admin and see what may be causing this behavior on your site.

Thanks!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @ iBabko

I hope you are well today.

You have another layer of authentication. Would you please send me both login details? So, you need to send me two usernames and passwords.

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• iBabko
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ash
    you requested a link to the thread. Where do we send that and what link are you requesting?
    Every time a student tries to log in for the class, The Path of Life it kicks them back to sign up. This is the staging site so I took the price off of it. Even if it is free it kicks you back to sign up. We cannot get to the units. If we get to the units they either do not all appear or only a few appear. IT seems that any class over 5 units no longer works. My classes are loading from Vimeo so they are not heavy classes. We have given you access this has been an issue since the last two updates. In December it worked perfectly.

Can you now take a look at it? You have access. Thank you.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @iBabko

I have just tested in your site. I created an account as a student (username atest), enrolled myself for a course and I was able to pass through units, please check screenshot.

I saw the screenshot you send in email. Does it happen for all students or any specific students? Would you please try with my username? Password is sent to email.

Also, please check in different browser, maybe from different machine too.

Please let us know, how it goes.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @iBabko

This is a server related issue. You need to increase maximum execution time.

If you have access to your php.ini file, you need to change this line:
    max_execution_time = 60
    to
    max_execution_time = 120
    Then restart your apache server.

If you don't have access, then please ask your host to increase the execution time.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
    Ash

• iBabko

We will try this.

Please note that this was fine until after Christmas with the updates. Also please note that I am getting errors in the errorlog page.

Students have complained about the classes that are larger than 5 units. The complaints started after Christmas. We have made no changes except the updates.

After all the issues and complaints and since we could not find a solution for the students, I modified the class and put 3 videos in each unit, then I corrected the CSS and floated the .knob right instead of left. This is working. But I will try the other you recommend.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @iBabko

Well, I think your site needs much more memory and execution time. Yes, coursepress is a huge plugin and needs some memory but it alone can't break a site. When other plugins work at the same time, the available memory can't take the load.

With the above fix, I will also suggest to increase the available memory in your site. Please use the following code in wp-config.php:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' ); // for front end
    define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' ); // for back end

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• iBabko

Thanks for all your help.

Everything changed the first of the year. It use to work on larger classes just fine. I have reduced my units to 10. This is the largest class and this is the only one not working on the MAC.

After the latest update now all latest browsers on MAC are not supporting the larger classes though I have added the code to the config page right before the happy blogging line at the end, if this is wrong please let me know. Here is the latest error from the errorlog.php:

[16-Jan-2015 14:40:33] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/mornin70/public_html/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 781

[16-Jan-2015 14:44:12] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/mornin70/public_html/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 745

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @iBabko

The issue is still about the execution time. Did you change the line as I mentioned in https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/as-of-the-update-students-cannot-get-past-details-to-get-to-units#post-808235 ?

About the config page, you have placed it in right place. But it depends on the memory you have. For example, if your available memory is 128M then 256M won't be applied for the wordpress site.

Are you in shared hosting? Can you please confirm with your host what your memory limit and max execution time are?

Also, you can just create a file called info.php in root and add the following in that page:

<?php
    phpinfo();

Then run the file in the browser, like http://domain.com/info.php

Or send us a link of that page.

Cheers
    Ash

• Ivan
    • HummingBird

Hey iBabko,

Hope you are having great week so far!

I tested every step in the video you posted and wasn't able to reproduce this.

Did you increase the execution time as Ash advised twice?

If you still having problems that might be because your host have FrontPage extension which haven't been supported from 2006. And it is kind of problematic sometimes.
    You can check this links for more information:
    https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/EA/Apache+Module:+FrontPage
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f442/beware-frontpage-extensions-apache-2-4-a-384331.html

Would you be comfortable to test this on a different hosting provider, by transfer the site and the database as is?

Thanks,
    Ivan

• iBabko

Yes we did everything we were told to do by Ash.

If we use Coursepress Pro as a theme for Wordpress site, do we copy the themes folder from the plugin to the actual theme folder each time you update the plugin? Also do we delete the themes folder in the plugin itself?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @iBabko

I hope you're well today!

Yes, the theme folder from the plugin should be moved to wp-content/themes. It will then be available for selection under Appearance > Themes in your wp-admin.

And yes, when you update the plugin, it's a good idea to also overwrite the theme with the new copy in the update.

But no, it is not necessary to delete the theme folder from the plugin folder. But you can if you want to reduce filesize on your server; nothing will break if you do. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.