Assign Sidebars for my Custom Taxonomies

Hi Guys,

Just purchased this premium plugin for the sole purpose of adding custom sidebars to my custom post types and my custom taxonomy group pages/archives.

If i cant use on my taxonomy pages i have no need for the plugin.

At the moment i dont see any difference between the FREE and Paid versions?

I need to work with taxonomies like advertised and need some help configuring as i cant see any options at the moment.

It says the custom sidebar pro plugin has been installed but like i say, i see no real difference so far.

Thanks for your time,

Ben

For example i want to assign my own sidebar to this page;

http://lovepattayathailand.com/2_star_location/jomtien

Vinod Dalvi

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

You can display custom sidebar on specific custom post type by configuring it in the pop up displayed on clicking "Sidebar Location" link as shown int he attached screenshot.

You can display a widget on specific custom taxonomy pages by configuring it using widget Visibility settings as shown in the second attached screenshot.

To display custom sidebar on custom taxonomy you can try using the solution posted in the following reply.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sidebar-visibilty-filtered-by-custom-taxonomy#post-773538

You will find more information about the usage of this plugin on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custom-sidebars-pro/#usage

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Ben

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I thought something wasnt quite right. I added the WPMU DEV and from here installed the custom sidebar pro plugin, but it didnt update the original plugin.

I had to de-activate the Free custom sidebar plugin, delete it, then install and activate the Pro version.

This was a little concerning to be honest. I have around 100 sidebars assigned to my web pages, deleting a plugin with that much control over my website isnt a comforting thought.

Looks like all the sidebars are in the correct places still and looks like im using the Pro version now.

Thanks Again

Ben

Unfortunately it seems this plugin doesn't have all the options for assigning sidebars to every page/area of my wordpress website.

I have a fairly big website which will only continue to grow in size. The majority of the websites content is built, sorted / organised using custom post types and hierarchical Taxonomies.

For example of my desired usage of the plugin would follow;

We have a hotel section on the website. Hotels are created within there own star category.

2 Star hotels are created as "2 star hotels" (custom post type)
    3 Star hotels are created as "3 star hotels" (custom post type)
    4 Star hotels are created as "4 star hotels" (custom post type)
    5 Star hotels are created as "5 star hotels" (custom post type)

Assigned to each post is a couple of hierarchical taxonomies

"Star Rating"
    "2 Star"
    "3 Star"
    "4 Star"
    "5 Star"
    "Location"
    "Jomtien"
    "South Pattaya"
    "North Pattaya"
    "Pratumnak"
    "Price Range"
    "Cheap"
    "Mid-range"
    "Expensive"

I need to have control and assign a "2 star hotel" sidebar to every page / archive that is "2 star hotel" related. So,

2_star_location/jomtien/
    2_star_location/south-pattaya/
    2_star_location/east-pattaya/
    2_star_location/pratumnak/

It seems the plugin cant find or doesnt use hierarchical taxonomies to the extent i need it to.

If you can provide any advice and assistance for achieving my goals then please let me know.

I have a feeling that this plugin just isnt quite the answer to all my problems though.

If i cant use with all my hierarchical taxonomies within the plugin settings im not sure i will have any need to use it and would look to get a re-fund if possible.

If you advise that i mess around with php scripts and alter core wordpress files to get it working the way i need it to then again i think i would need a re-fund.

I was hoping this plugin was the answer to all my problems but not looking promising so far.

Any help or advice you have on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your time.

Ben

Vinod Dalvi

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Could you please share us the actual page links from your site and let us know which custom sidebar that you have created and want to display on those pages so that we can help you to achieve it?

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi