Assigning access levels via page categories

Can the access levels in Membership be set according to page categories? For example, can I only allow access to one category if a user logs in and has an access level that is set to allow viewing of that one category? Thanks in advance.

Tyler Postle

My apologies Pdca, I read your original post as "post categories" - by default pages don't have categories. You must be using a plugin?

You can use URL groups instead.

For example, if the page category link looks like this: domain.com/page-category/page

Then make a url group that is:

/page-category/(.*)

That should block all pages after the /page-category/ url.

I can add support for page categories as a feature request too

Sorry for the misunderstanding there. Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Pdca Admin

No, there is no plugin. It is a standard feature of WordPress in the Pages menu tab. See my screenshots.

I am really struggling with your plugin tonight. I am trying to assign access levels and only the "50 most recent pages" are able to be included or excluded in the rules section of each access level. This is stupid because our site has well over 50 pages and not all of the pages are shown in this shortlisted menu.

This plugin is becoming a nightmare to use. The weird thing is that the plugin is toggling menu items with each access level setup. I go in and say that I don't want pages 1-10 to be accessed by a certain access level. But I can't see pages 11-20 on the menu and they need to be setup, as well. So I check pages 1-10 in the negative rules section and then hit save. When I go back pages 11-20 are showing and pages 1-10 are missing. Ok, no problem. I'll just check pages 11-20 so that pages 1-20 are not accessible to this group. I hit save and now pages 11-20 are blocked and pages 1-10 are viewable again. Here we go again with your plugin limiting my ability to designate membership access levels. No, it is not a browser or template issue. Go try it for yourself and please don't tell me that it works fine for you. I've tried this on 3 computers and over 3 different WiFi connections and it's the same each time.

In a nutshell:
    Please tell me how to see more than 50 pages in this list and get this plugin to stop toggling settings and page lists.

Tyler Postle

Hey Pdca,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not seeing a screenshots attached to your post? Would you mind re-uploading them?

Are you sure you aren't using this plugin or another similar one? https://wordpress.org/plugins/post-tags-and-categories-for-pages/

As for increasing the 50 page limit, you can do that from:

Membership > Options > Configuration > Page count.

Up the page count to however many you like, just keep in mind you shouldn't go any higher than you absolutely need too as it could end up using quite a bit of memory if you do.

Can you upgrade to version 3.5.2.3? There is a known saving issue right now for some users and are developer is working on it as we speak

Hope this helps! Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

Pdca Admin

Oh good! I was starting to think I was crazy with the saving issues. lol.... I just updated the plugin right now.

No, I don't have that plugin installed. I have granted support access if you want to poke around and double check for me. Honestly. I have seen page categories on every WordPress build I have supported and developed. It seems to be a feature right out of the box that I don't use often but sometimes do.

Screenshots were in the post right after my post. I am reattaching it here so you don't have to scroll up.

Tyler Postle

Hey PDCA,

Thanks for posting that sorry, I missed your original image, you must of posted it while I was writing my response.

It must be coming from one of your plugins or your theme. Or maybe something that's added from a special auto installer you use? I've never seen page categories except when added from a plugin. It has never been in any of my installs :p

Glad you can feel at ease about the saving issue now Thanks for all your patience!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Pdca Admin

So tell me, how can I assign a group of pages or menu items to a certain access level without having to manually click through each check box? There must be a way to do this. I see that your developers have allowed this to be done using the Post Categories. I would love to see this done with Pages and Menu items. Categories would save me a lot of time and trouble. Can you think of a work around?

Tyler Postle

Hey PDCA,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You can actually hide menu items already with the access rules, there should be a "Menu" access rule you can drag over.

As for the page categories you can use URL groups as I mentioned above, this is actually almost exactly the reason this feature was implemented

http://domain.com/page-category/(.*)

Use that in your url group and replace the "page-category" with the actual category. That will block everything after the page-category slug - blocking the entire category

You can use this method with any custom post type.

Make sure you have "Regular Expressions" set to "Yes" in the URL groups field.

Let me know if you need any further assistance with that PDCA!

All the best,
    Tyler

Pdca Admin

Yes, I am familiar with the drag and drop settings in the access level rules. I was hoping that these items could be blocked in the menu by default when the page is blocked from a certain access group. It's good to have the option to block both at the same time and separately.

Our website pages are not in folders as you are describing. URLs go to mysite.com/page-name (permalink). Go play with the site menus and you should see what i mean. Not sure if it will still work the way you are describing?

Tyler Postle

Hey PDCA,

I was hoping that these items could be blocked in the menu by default when the page is blocked from a certain access group. It's good to have the option to block both at the same time and separately.

Ooh, my apologies, I understand what you mean - makes total sense to me I'll add that to the feature requests as well.

Our website pages are not in folders as you are describing. URLs go to mysite.com/page-name (permalink).

Ah, thanks for the clarification there, I was assuming the category slugs were there as well. URL groups won't work in that case.

Any pages you are categorizing might be better suited as posts. This is just my 2 cents here - posts have the tags and category taxonomy which are universal across almost every WordPress site and many plugins will be integrated with that. custom post type categories has already been requested, so I can add your request on top of that to further support it

For now, you will need to select each page from the page list access level. Let me know if you have any further questions Pdca!

Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Cheers,
    Tyler