Associated Role

I've installed and configured the plugin, creating visitor, free, and paid access levels. When trying to assign a role to a non-visitor level, my only choices are:
No associated role
or
Blocked

I'm assuming that this would be the place I could set a given account type to "editor" or "author" or some other WP defined role, so as to increase the number of things that a user could "do" in the context of an access level (for example...nowhere that I could see IN the access level rules does it allow a user of any level to make a new post...so I'm assuming it inherits those properties from the predefined roles) - however....I can't seem to pick one! What am I missing? :slight_smile:

-=Vel=-

• aecnu

Greetings Vel,

Thank you for the great question.

I think your concept of how this works needs a small adjustment.

Non logged in visitors are considered "strangers" to the Membership plugin and their privileges are allocated in the Membership menu item --> Membership --> Options --> General tab and assigned right there in the Stranger settings.

Not associated yto WordPress user roles which you can forget about because Membership has indeed taken over the WordPress installation.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!).

• christopher_d__hartpence

Okay....but then...what is the purpose/function of the "associated role" drop down in the access level configuration screen, near the bottom?

Part of what I'm not understanding is that I do not see a place where you can define what access level may (for example) add a new post. I see where you can hide/show posts that have already been written, but if the membership levels are meant to replace the original wp access levels, then....I'm missin' something. (this is not surprising...I think maybe I've been looking at this too long today!)

• aecnu

Greetings Vel,

Thank you for the great question and pointing out the "associated role" which only appears in the "both" access levels portion in which I indeed have never used due to Warning: using both positive and negative rules on the same level can cause conflicts and unpredictable behaviour.

I have just worked with it in the other negative and positive areas and things have indeed worked fine.

membership levels are meant to replace the original wp access levels

I never mentioned this sir, I said we can basically forget about them but not replace them.

You create your own custom levels of course with privileges and to date I have not found a need to associate user roles to levels - however, maybe you have indeed taught me something new or indeed a new way to use this:

Part of what I'm not understanding is that I do not see a place where you can define what access level may (for example) add a new post.

I have not tried this yet - limiting posting - so maybe you are indeed on to something!

Please let me know what you come across in testing and I will also see about checking this our and if it indeed works this way.

Personally and prior to this conversation, I would have just used URL groups to stop certain levels form posting.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Hello, and thank you for responding further! I misunderstood what you meant then when you said:

Not associated yto WordPress user roles which you can forget about because Membership has indeed taken over the WordPress installation.

I took this to mean that the membership premium takes control of the wp install (so the old wp access levels are no longer applicable), but what you're saying makes sense to my brain.

I'll test this out this weekend and see if I can come closer to making it do what I wanted it to do...thank you again! :slight_smile:

-=Vel=-

Just finished playing with this, but ran into a stopper right out the gate.

As you mentioned above...the only place you can access "associated role" is in the hybrid rules section (if you only use positive, or only use negative rules, you don't even get the option).

The problem is...I've only got two roles I can pick from:
    "no associated role"
    and
    "blocked"

I can't pick "subscriber" or "admin" or "author" cos those choices simply don't exist in the dropdown. :slight_frown:

• aecnu

Greetings Vel,

Thank you for that additional input and I am sure that I am missing something here i.e. how the roles are actually propagated to that box.

There were many showing on my previous production server test installation but for the last two days I have been working on a fresh install and now experience the same "role thing" going on as you reported and I am indeed using version 3.4.3 Beta 3

Therefore with my head hung low cause I cannot figure out what I am missing here, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.