Attempting to go to a new tab in Ultimate Branding brings a "Are you sure you want to do this?&

I enabled the Admin Bar module, then when I try to go to it, either via the tab on the main Branding page, or via the menu item on the left, I get the classic/lame WordPress "Are you sure you want to do this? Please try again." page.

Normally that error/page happens when trying to edit a theme file or do something else after too much time has lapsed, but zero time has lapsed when I'm trying to go to the new Branding tab. So I don't understand why I'm getting that error, or how to make it stop.

• aecnu

Greetings freelancelance,

Thank you for pointing out this significant issue going on with your site.

Unfortunately I am unable to replicate it on my test production server. Unfortunate because I do not then have the opportunity to fix it on my end and offer you the cure.

When I first activated the plugin I immediately received an error that it is in conflict with the Global Footer plugin leading me to believe that you probably have a plugin conflict that the Ultimate Branding plugin does not recognize but it is there just the same.

Therefore it is in my opinion that now it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict there and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting. You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• freelancelance

Hi Joe,

It does indeed seem to be a theme conflict. I switched to twenty Eleven and the problem went away. Switched back to your BuddyPress Fun theme, and the problem returned. Maybe that will help you replicate it.

BTW, once again, I didn't receive an email notification of your reply to this. Is there a significant time delay with notifications? I notice your replies were in the past couple hours. (Though in many other cases, I didn't receive notification even after plenty of time. Just ballparking, I'd say I've only gotten notifications in about 10% of the cases where I should have.)

Thanks!

• aecnu

Thank you for the additional feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I have switched my Buddy Press/Word Press installation theme to BP Fun theme and still cannot duplicate the issue.

In my screen shot shown below you can see that I have enabled every available Ultimate Branding option and I am still unable to replicate the issue. I clicked both the tabs on top and the menus settings on the left and cannot get any error or anomaly.

It is rare but I am wondering if there is still another plugin causing an issue there.

Can you please confirm if this is indeed the issue, that it is possibly even a three way conflict between the theme and a plugin other then the Ultimate Branding?

I am indeed trying to figure out what is going on there but of course though I cannot replicate the issue, i do not have the exact same installation or hosting account.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• freelancelance

Hi Joe,

I did some more testing, and I still get the error even if Branding is the only plugin activated. I activated WPMU-DEV Dashboard just in case too, and that didn't change anything. Still the same "Are you sure you want to do this?" message when I try to go to the Admin Bar tab in Branding. It only goes away if I switch away from BuddyPress Fun theme. I also tested switching to Holder BuddyPress; that one works fine, as does Twenty Eleven. So it just seems to be BP Fun.

FWIW, the site is hosted on Hostgator. Hope this helps!

• aecnu

Don't be looking at me in that tone of voice .... lol (referring to your avatar)

Could you please update your Ultimate Branding plugin to the latest version being version 1.0.3 and I think if it is still not working correctly we should move this ticket over to the BuddyPress Fun theme category and call in the BuddyPress Fun theme lead developer to see if he can help us get past this anomaly with this particular theme.

I am certainly no fan of Host Gator, but in this instance I do not think they are at fault or more accurately their server configuration that is at fault causing this.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Lance,

After testing this again today with the Fun theme and all Ultimate Branding plugins activated, I thought about the fact that we have not dug into the possibility of a memory issue.

I just now turned on the WP-Memory-Usage plugin and was startled to find that it is using 43+ MB of memory

PHP Version : 5.3.14 / 64Bit OS
    Memory limit : 512 MByte
    Memory usage : 43.83 MByte

Please so lets see what memory allocation we have for your hosting account and maybe an adjustment of some sort is indeed necessary.

I have attached a zip file in which you would want to download, extract, and upload the phpinfo.php file to the root of your hosting account.

Then please call up the file in your browser like:
    http://yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php and please post the contents of the memory_limit here.

You may want to check out the plugin I mentioned above too, though not as accurate as the phpinfo.php file, it will give us some insight as to the possibility of not enough php memory being allocated.

Those results would certainly be interesting to see as well.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• freelancelance

Hi Joe,

My memory limit is 256M. Though I don't really see why a memory issue would cause that error message anyway. In my experience that message comes when a login cookie has timed out. Also, if the Ultimate Branding plugin is really using that much memory, it sounds like it may have other issues that need to be resolved, no? That seems like a lot of memory usage for a relatively low-impact plugin.

• aecnu

Greetings Lance,

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

Also, if the Ultimate Branding plugin is really using that much memory, it sounds like it may have other issues that need to be resolved, no?

Agreed if it is the only plugin activated and of course running WordPress itself plus themes, it all uses memory and can add up rather quickly. Son in this case when considering memory usage one must consider the whole rather then just a part but of course each part makes up the whole when it comes time to crunch things and figure out possible memory issue.

However, 256MB as you reported you have above is indeed enough to run WordPress and plugins well.

That seems like a lot of memory usage for a relatively low-impact plugin.

I would not think it to be low impact when all 14 parts of the plugin are indeed activated, but of course that is just me.

In my experience that message comes when a log in cookie has timed out.

Interesting theory but more accurately session cookie perhaps? But the fact does remain that I cannot cannot replicate the issue and this time I will not forget to attach my screen shot ... lol

One last item since you had indicated a possible theme related issue:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/attempting-to-go-to-a-new-tab-in-ultimate-branding-brings-a-are-you-sure-you-want-to-do-this-error#post-237140

Do you have the Parent/Child theme configured where the child theme is uploaded separately from the parent and the child theme itself is activated?

Demonstration of what I am referring to here here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/front-page-blogs-picture-and-text-not-visible-only-subject-is-visible#post-217131

I know I am persistent to try to figure this out since I cannot replicate it and therefore something is definitely different going on there.

Please advise about the Parent/Child theme relationship and if the child is indeed separate from the parent and activated.

Cheers, Joe

• freelancelance

Ho Joe,

Sure, session cookie, whatever. It comes from a timeout, was my point. That's the only time I ever get that error outside of this situation.

No child theme. Just the BuddyPress Fun theme, as I originally posted.

>I would not think it to be low impact when all 14 parts of the plugin are indeed activated, but of course that is just me.

I wouldn't know about that, since I can't even activate one part of it. :wink: But still, it's basically just replacing text in certain fixed locations. It's not running forums or a store or a commenting system or any number of what I would consider high-impact sorts of functions. But my opinion is of course subjective.

Also, no problem with the persistence...it would be nice to get this fixed, and I'm happy to help out. Though I must admit I'd imagine that I would have earned more reputation points via my efforts than I have so far. :wink:

Thanks,
    Lance

• aecnu

Greetings Lance,

Thank you for your additional feedback and input, it is very helpful.

As you mentioned you have just activated the Buddy Press Fun theme and you have not set it up in the Parent/Child relationship and activate just the child as necessary for it to run correctly.

It indeed includes the child within the parent but it is supposed to be uploaded separately and only the child is activated.

Could you please try this in hopes of resolving this issue which is not present in my installation that I have tried to mimic your installation?

I have given the link above on the proper way to configure these Parent/Child themes.

Try it out and let me know.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• freelancelance

So you're saying your themes aren't meant to work as is, and require the child theme to be installed and activated just to function? Wow - that's really unintuitive and kind of bizarre. How come the WPMU-DEV Dashboard doesn't install the child theme or include any sort of message to that effect when I install a theme through there? How come when I activate one of your themes it doesn't say anything to that effect? Should I start a separate ticket with that question? I'll wait to hear back, because I feel like I must be misunderstanding you. Requiring me to do two installs just to use your theme out of the box, even if I don't want to do any theme tweaking that would require use of a child theme, seems crazy. And again, your own Dashboard plugin doesn't seem to recognize that requirement. Nor have I had any of your other themes fail to work because a child theme wasn't installed--including the Fun theme on this site, which works fine on its own.

It seems to me that if you're trying to mimic my setup, you could get rid of the child theme on your end and just run Fun on its own.

• aecnu

Greetings Lance,

Thank you again for your thoughtful input.

The reason why I do not get rid of the child theme format and go with the parent theme, is straight up it is wrong for the use and design of this theme as clearly indicated and described in the WordPress Codex:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Unfortunately not everything can be installed correctly using the WPMU Dev Dashboard i.e. Parent/Child themes, Multi Domains, Domain Mapping, etc.

It seems to me that if you're trying to mimic my setup, you could get rid of the child theme on your end and just run Fun on its own.

You have a point to the extent that I know it is wrong sir. That is why I am trying to get you to configure your installation correctly.

We can argue this all day long, but the codex says my installation is correct and I am not having any issues nor can I reproduce your issue on my installation.

I do not know why you would not want to simply FTP the child theme placing it in the proper order as it was designed to be and as the WordPress Codex specifies. It has nothing to do with me, I did not understand it when I first started using Parent/Child theme configurations myself.

But I have indeed solved many issues of those having them once they placed the theme correctly within their installation.

I am not saying this will fix the issue you are having, but I do know that it is the well documented by WordPress way to use this particular theme and/or Parent/Child themes.

Please consider it and advise.

Cheers, Joe

• freelancelance

Hi Joe,

I have been working with Wordpress since it came out in 2003. This is not an issue of a lack of understanding on my part.

I don't see anywhere on this page: http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes where it says that a child theme is required in order to make a regular theme function, and I certainly don't see anything on there about the BuddyPress Fun theme, as you imply. Perhaps you could quote the part of that page you're referring to, since you're insisting that it says you are right and I am wrong.

Honestly, I'm finding your attitude in that post of yours to be a little irritating, and your stand on this issue to be a lot wrong. Please show me, since you brought it up, where the Codex makes any reference at all to your specific theme ("it is the well documented by WordPress way to use this particular theme"), or where it says that one MUST install a child theme in order to even USE a given regular theme.

For that matter, where on the BuddyPress Fun page does it say I need to activate the child theme in order to make it work? https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-fun-theme/ (hint: nowhere)

>You have a point to the extent that I know it is wrong sir. That is why I am trying to get you to configure your installation correctly.

Since I am not trying to make any modifications to the theme that would require a child theme (or any modifications at all, for that matter), there is no reason to install a child theme. I'm not declining to do it because I don't understand it, I'm declining to do it because THERE IS NO NEED for a child theme in this scenario. You are trying to add a complicating factor that is unnecessary--a very counterintuitive method of troubleshooting, IMNSHO.

Furthermore, why in the world would this have anything to do with this particular bug? I can't see any logical connection whatsoever. But of course I've only been working with WordPress for 9 years, and doing tech troubleshooting work for 15 years, so what do I know?

>Unfortunately not everything can be installed correctly using the WPMU Dev Dashboard i.e. Parent/Child themes, Multi Domains, Domain Mapping, etc.

If your Dashboard plugin does not install your own themes correctly, then why does it offer to install your themes at all? Why would you provide a tool that does faulty installations of your own products? You're insisting that installation of a WPMU-DEV theme (and in fact, by implication, any WordPress theme) REQUIRES that a child theme be installed and activated--so why would the Dashboard plugin be set up to do broken installations? (I know the answer--it isn't doing broken installations, because child themes are not in fact required--but I'm curious to hear how you rationalize it, given your perspective.)

Good luck troubleshooting this on your own from here on out Joe...you've worn me out.

• Mark de Scande

I was reading trough this long post :slight_smile: yes do do read some time

I must say your to a both right.

First of https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-fun-theme/

Upload both the parent theme folder and child theme folder to wp-content/themes/

Now if your using the dashboard to install your themes then it will not do this you for you you have to FTP in and then Upload both the parent theme folder and child theme folder to wp-content/themes

@freelancelance please just try this down load the theme and then upload it again and then see if it works.

So in your
    /home/blogline/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-fun
    /home/blogline/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-fun-child

I hope this works for you :slight_smile:

• freelancelance

Hi Mark,

Yes, it does say to upload both themes, but it does not say anything about having to activate the child theme. And frankly, if the child theme isn't going to be activated--and there's no reason why it should be--then it doesn't matter if it's uploaded or not.

Child themes are for when you want to make customizations to the template files of stylesheet of the main theme. That is the only reason they are needed. I'm not aware of any WordPress theme that only works when you install and activate a child theme, and that includes the WPMU-DEV ones. And again, as a troubleshooting measure, this process Joe is suggesting goes in the wrong direction. When troubleshooting, it is best to REDUCE the number of variables/complications, not increase them.

Thanks though,
    Lance

• freelancelance

Joe,

If that's what you got out of what I said then this was an even bigger waste of time than I thought.

Feel free to let me know when you fix this bug BTW. This has not been resolved - I have no idea why you marked it as such.

I'm finding your support forums to be extremely disappointing.

Sorry I bothered to report this and try and help you solve it. I now see it was a mistake to do so.

• freelancelance

Mark,

No problem - I appreciate you trying to help. But Joe and I were not "both right".

@aecnu - BTW, I count no less than 5 questions in my post which you didn't bother to answer. I'm kind of learning that that's the "WPMU-DEV way", but it still should be pointed out. You guys get defensive, point fingers back at your customers, and then shut down the discussion or just walk away.

I had harbored dreams of earning a lifetime Elite membership by next year via reputation points, but if this is how things work here, that's going to be pretty hard to accomplish. I guess I should just focus on posting "yes-man"-style topics thanking and praising you guys.

• Mason

Hiya folks,

I took some time to really dig into this tonight. Turns out there is an issue with the BP Fun theme when you're on a single-site WordPress installation. It's not directly related to Ultimate Branding, but the error reported by @freelancelance symptom of the actual issue.

To fix this right away, you'll need to login to your site via ftp and navigate to the following file:
    wp-content/themes/bp-fun/_inc/functions/options-functions.php

Then delete lines 945-947. They look like this:

if (!isset($_REQUEST['action'])) {
        $_REQUEST['action'] = '';
    }

Save the file.

On my test install this allowed both the theme options page and the custom admin bar branding page to function as expected. I'm passing the information along to the developer so we can get a proper fix released.

If someone else can confirm this fix and then let us know it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• freelancelance

Joe,

>What is there that I did not understand

Based on the fact that you ignored my questions, you apparently did not understand that questions are supposed to be answered. That's why they exist.

But based on my recent experiences with you and others from WPMU-DEV in these forums, it's more likely that you didn't answer my questions because you guys seem to put a higher value on digging in your heels, getting defensive, and protecting your egos, than actually trying to help and have a discussion. Since I didn't bow down and concede that you were right about the child theme issue (because you weren't), you decided to get huffy and completely disregarded everything I said and asked...except for the one sentence that you saw as your ticket to back out without having to support your claims, answer my queries, or follow through on this. And as if that wasn't enough dereliction of your duty, you even marked this as resolved when it clearly was not.

So now this is the part where you post some sort of dismissive non-sequitur reply, using friendly language to mask your bad attitude. Thanks for your additional input Joe, it is appreciated. Please advise. Cheers!

(Or masonjames declares "this discussion has gone on long enough" and shuts me down for daring to state an unflattering and honest opinion.)

@masonjames, I'd love to test your fix, but according to Joe, I don't know what I'm doing vis a vie theme installation. Or "I do not like the Parent/Child theme setup". Or something like that. Whatever gets him of the hook and shifts the blame to me.

• Mason

@freelancelance, This is a product support forum. It's meant to provide you with solutions to any issues you face while using our products.

As with anytime there's more than one human around, there will be miscommunication. That's life. We'll try to assist you with anything that comes up. We're definitely not perfect, but we do our best.

We hope you'll stick around and allow us to continue providing support. At the end of the day though, it's your call of course. Hopefully, the solution I posted above will help you here.

My only advice would be that we all stick to the actual support issues and what can be done in resolving them. Additional commentary is unnecessary and does nothing to solve the actual problem.

Thanks!

• freelancelance

>My only advice would be that we all stick to the actual support issues and what can be done in resolving them. Additional commentary is unnecessary and does nothing to solve the actual problem.

The attitude of WPMU-DEV staff, and your stifling of conversation (in another thread; I'm sure you know the one I'm referring to) are actual support issues.

>This is a product support forum. It's meant to provide you with solutions to any issues you face while using our products.

I can't imagine that statement was meant to inform...did you think I don't know where I am, or what its purpose is meant to be? Where does Joe incorrectly telling me that I'm wrong fit into "providing me with solutions"? Where does Joe completely disregarding my response to his points fit into that? Where does him marking this thread as resolved when it was by no measure resolved fit into that? Where does you shutting down discussion of the WPMU-DEV dashboard plugin menu placement fit into that?

I know perfectly well what's supposed to be happening in these forums. And I've been in customer service for ~25 years, in tech support for ~15 years, and working with WordPress since before it was WordPress. I think I stand on pretty solid ground when stating an opinion about those things. And if you guys would see past your egos and obstructionism, you would understand that criticism such as mine is meant to HELP YOU DO A BETTER JOB. But at this point I don't hold out a lot of hope for that. Stifle on, sir...

• Mason

Hiya,

I don't understand all the aggression here, but that's your call. I'm only interested in providing you with solutions (as I said above) and I think I've done that.

Though you haven't confirmed the solution has worked I believe it'll work for anyone genuinely having an issue here. So I'm marking this resolved, and yes,closing this ticket as there doesn't seem to be a reason to leave it open any longer.

If you have other support questions we'll be happy to assist in a new thread as that's what the Q&A area is here to do.

Any other inquiries/feedback should be directed to our contact form:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.