author name linked to profile ?

I thought in most themes the author’s name that appears above the post such as

Jan 3 2012 in Business by admin

was a link. I noticed this isn’t currently set that way. Do I have something turned off in the settings or is this related to the theme in some way.

Thanks for your help.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Joe,

Its related to the theme. A little function called the_author_posts_link() does the magic, if you are interested, you can read about it here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_author_posts_link

I have attached a child theme with a single.php edited by including the above function. Find it attached.

If you are not using a child theme yet for The Daily Theme just upload the attached file just like any theme and activate it. Everything else will remain the same, plus you will get the link to the authors posts. See the screenshot attached too.

If you are using a child theme, copy the single.php from the attached zip file into the child theme folder and you should be good :slight_smile:

Let me know how that goes. Good luck!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@arun : I was trying to do a bit of a search while I came accorss

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/current-author

I understand this is quite old a post (7 years) with a very old version of WP, however does this give any path forward to get this issue resolved ?

Cheers!

PC

I research and try my best so that my responses are helpful. Appreciate a + if it is. If it’s not, please let me know so that I study more before I write my exams here :slight_smile:.

• JOE KARL
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am currently using Magazine Basic for the theme (child) and no Buddypress.

I have a link with the authors name but It goes to a list of their posts.

http://seymourherald.com/blog/author/joek/

When I click on someones photo in a post on this site it goes to the users profile.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/profile/mindswithoutfear/public/

Also, each user has a photo on their posts. Both of those things is what I am trying to accomplish with my site.

What is being used to do this on this site?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Heya,

Was just attracted to see my profile link in the above post.. couldnt help leaving a comment lol

Arun should have more info on this till the time I do some research on it and play a bit with my test site trying to change things your way.

Cheers

PC

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Joe,

Stepping in to back up Arun here :slight_smile:

I’ve done some digging and I am not sure what you are asking for is possible as the profile.php is only visible to the logged in user and only their profile is visible to them.

To get around this you would need to have a way to display the profile on the front end of the website, or create a page and use a different method.

The function Arun lists does indeed take you to the Author’s list of posts, which is the common practice and spot on for what he wanted to give you.

However if you want to show an actual “my name is admin, this is more about me” profile, then that is not possible without you deciding on a method of showing the profile in the front of the blog.

I hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

Best

Kimberly

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Joe,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.