Authorize.net is Authorize only

Hi Folks, It appears that our install of Membership is only submitting Authorize.net transaction-types of "AuthorizeOnly" and not "Authorize & Capture"...where can I change this setting?

Thank you

• Tyler Postle

Hey HazenReed,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

Has it been 24 hours since the transaction? Reason I ask is that Authorize processes credit cards a bit different in that it authorizes the transaction first - then charges it within the next 24 hours. For me the actual payments always go through around 2-3am PST.

So, it likely hasn't been long enough for the charge to go through :slight_smile:

If it has been longer than that, let us know!

Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• hazenreed

Hi Tyler,
    Thanks. I think the issue is elsewhere. The transactions are being added to the "unsettled transactions" list as would be expected, but they are of type "Authorize Only." As such, these transactions never get charged.

We have another app unrelated to this membership site, that uses the same Authorize.net account,and those transactions are coming in "Authorize & Capture."

I think this narrows down the problem to the membership plugin issuing transactions of type "Authorize Only." So there must be a setting somewhere.

Can you still continue to help me locate that setting?

Thank you

• Tyler Postle

Hey HazenReed,

Thanks for your reply!

Does your other app do subscriptions as well?

Our plugin actually use to authorize and capture right away; however, it would then charge again within the next 24 hours, double charging the customer - so of course we got that fixed asap and the solution the developer put in place was to get rid of the initial payment as it was the erroneous one in our case.

Has the payment gone through for you now? Keep me updated. I'll report it to the developer if needed :slight_smile:

Can you also grant support access? Than we can take a closer look at the transactions.

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back Hazen!

All the best,
    Tyler

• hazenreed

Hi Tyler, Thank you for your follow-up.
    First answer, no, the other app is a straight purchase. Frankly, I am not sure why there is a difference, though. Are not both a simple single transaction? Buy a product, or buy a membership, once in the "cart" they are one thing, and should be transacted...

However, in Authorize.net this this morning the transaction from Membership was "Successfully Settled", however the Transaction Type is still Authorization Only. So this is something I do not understand. What is happening here?

Furthermore, How and where in Membership do I see reports of settled transactions? Where do i find a report of the memberships that were placed, and the Successfully Settled transactions?

This last question is key to my over-all research of this issue. The client reported that there were three transactions in their Authorize.net account that had the correct dollar amount for their membership product, BUT that these were all listed as Transaction-Type: Authorize Only. I assumed that these was initiated from the Membership plugin, but I can find no record matching these Authorize.net transactions to anything in the "Membership News" feed on the Membership dashboard. And the people associated with the A./net transactions do not appear to be among the Users of the site.

I am very confused about how these three transactions came about. Can you provide any insight to this, and also provide guidance on additional reporting?

Thank you,

Hazen

• hazenreed

Some further details. The three transactions that the client has received on their Authorize.net account are dated 10/22/2014, 10/30/2014 and 10/31/2014.

After a close review of the Membership "News" records, I see no activity on those dates. In fact, there are only three events in October, and not one is related to the three transactions on Auth.net. Is there some way that that Membership is not recording transactions? Is there any additional detail anywhere for transactions started from Membership?

• hazenreed

Thank you Michelle, Indeed, I am most perplexed by this situation. There appear to be three transactions sent to Authorize.net for which there is are no corresponding records in Membership.

I do not know what to tell our client. There are a range of problems that spawn from this issue;

1. The transactions are listing in Authorize.net as "Authorize Only" which means the client has not yet collected the funds. Should I tell them to go ahead and collect the funds?

2. When the client does collect the funds, what are they supposed to do to indicate to the purchasing user that their membership is active? Should an email be sent to them manually?

3. There is no record of the purchasing user having initiated the transaction, and so, what should we do to make their purchase into a membership?

4. How do we create all the required steps to construct a user's membership from the admin side?

Thank you in advance.
    Hazen

• Rheinard

Hi @Hazen,

I just released 3.5.2.8 which should resolve your issue with the Authorize.net gateway.

You should no longer have pending capture transactions sitting in limbo. There is a delay in the settlement, but this is on Authorize.net's site as they do a daily settlement transaction - which is a batch of all your transactions for the day. You can change the daily 'cut off' time in your Authorize.net accounting settings.

Background:
    You're right in saying that we use 'Authorize Only' transactions, but this is only so that we can roll back transactions if we needed to. If you have been poking around the code, you will also see that there is code that runs 'Pre-Authorize and Capture' transactions to finalise transactions for settlement.

The issue you discovered was that this didn't happen for all transactions. This should be fixed now.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.