Authorize.net Recurring Payments

I would like to use Membership with Authorize.net. I need to set up a 2 week free trial period, followed by a series of 6 fixed payments at 4 week intervals. After that time, payments would cease, but membership would continue indefinitely.

Can Membership do this?

• biffhardwell
    • New Recruit

Thanks, that makes sense from the Membership settings… but how does that work with Authorize.net? I don’t see any support for ARB, just AIM. Can AIM handle recurring billing like this, without asking the user for their credit card other than the initial signup?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi biffhardwell and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

The Authorize.net gateway doesn’t currently support ARB I’m afraid. The developers are looking to add that, it’s just not available as yet.

Currently, it would be somewhat of a manual process, where users let their current subscription expire, at which point they’ll have the options to choose other subscriptions.

-David

• biffhardwell
    • New Recruit

David, I’m trying to understand how this would flow, and you really lost me on the “let their current subscription expire, at which point they’ll have the options to choose other subscriptions”.

Does this translate to:

User signs up, must pay for first period of say, 4 weeks.

Subscription expires, I ask customer to give me credit card info again for the next 4 weeks.

Repeat until end of course.

Is that right?

Also, just to be specific, you say that the gateway currently doesn’t support ARB. I’m no expert on Authorize.net, and am not sure if there’s another way of accomplishing what I need. I don’t need ARB; what I need is the capability of asking for the credit card information just once, then billing them 6 times without asking them anything. Is there a way of accomplishing that with the existing Authorize.net gateway without ARB?

I

• socialete
    • New Recruit

The issue of not having ARB support has been outstanding for months. Why can’t paying customers get a straight answer on this? Authorize.net ARB is the most direct way for someone with a merchant account to handle auto-reoccurring payments. Any moderate success on Paypal results in X day holds on your account. I’m afraid ARB has not been set as a priority from what I can tell.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@biffhardwell, there’s not a way to do that with Membership currently, I believe due to gateway restrictions. Members would have to proceed through the purchase process in order for that to work.

ARB would be the only way I know of to accomplish that in specific.

@socialete, thanks for your feedback on this. Really, there’s not been a lot of support via requests for ARB here so I think there hasn’t been so much priority placed on it.

I’ll tag one of the developers over here to have a look and see how ARB will go from here.

-David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• kbrady
    • Flash Drive

Just my 2cents to WPMUDEV – your premium membership plugin is the ONLY WordPress plugin that supports the content restriction rules that I *require* (no flexibility). S2Member does not support this rule scheme, nor any other WordPress membership plugin and I have been searching and testing for months.

I too am an authorize.net merchant, and will not use Paypal under any circumstances. However, recurring charges and membership are two concepts that go hand in hand. Since your membership plugin doesn’t support recurring subscriptions on a gateway, and no other plugin meets my membership requirements, I will not only be abandoning using the membership plugin, I am going to be abandoning wordpress as a platform as my business rules are inflexible. So, I won’t have a reason to renew my WPMUDEV membership when the time comes around.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.