Authorize.net Trial Membership Limitations & Setup

Hello, I am trying to create a 15 day trial for $0.00 followed by a $6.99 monthly charge. Turns out that's not possible in Authorize.net and its not in Membership Docs. You can't have a Trial period (weeks) Different than the Recurring period (monthly ), which created odd dates in authorize.net. So I would add it to the manual, but please let me know if this is setup correctly...
http://screencast.com/t/iswFDOUM1hk9

IN Authorize.net it shows as a "PREAUTH" charge for $6.99, rather than a $0.00 charge , (meaning just looking to see if customer has funds, no money actually taken out) . Then a Recurring bill setup in 30 days. Are trials suppose to setup a PREAUTH? Sounds like a good plan, if correct.

Did I set it up correctly?
Thanks

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Sean,

That seems to be correct. I have tried this on my own site, using a 15 day for free finite and then 1 month serial, and the transaction went through ok.

When you say the dates are all messed up can you explain a bit more about that?

Could you post the transaction details from auth.net?

I'm not that familiar with auth.net though personally, so let me just ask a colleague @Jack Kitterhing for some of his expertise on this for you too.

Thanks

• sean
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for response. I called Authorize.net , and its not possible to do a 15 day trial if the recurring is "monthly" . THe only way around it is if the Membership plugin, charges 15 days into membership by autosubmitting to Auth.net, 1/2 the monthly fee.

The reason is, because on the 15 day trial, done on 2/4, it posted a PRE-auth, fine, but the Recurring billing was set to trip on 3/4 (in Auth.net backend), when it should have been 2/19, not withstanding any automation mentioned in last paragraph.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Sean,

thanks for the additional information, I have flagged one of our developers for some assistance & advice with this, he should be able to find out more, or maybe find a solution, but I think you have certainly highlighted a flaw there, and if it's certainly not possible, then maybe we can add some error notices into the plans so users aren't able to configure trials in this way using auth.net.

Hopefully the developer should respond shortly.

Thanks

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @sean,

I hope you are well today.

For the Pre-auth, Before creating a subscription, Membership will do a check to make sure the Credit Card is fine.

About the start date of subscription, I has done some debugs, and sent the details to the lead developer, I think he will back shortly.

Great thanks, I assume you will be finding out if the membership plugin has any of its own POSTING transactions automation. Don't think it does, because it doesn't store Credit cards.

Usually, no plugins or scripts store Credit Cards data, it will use Customer Information Manager API from payment gateway to process. And this must be allowed by the users.

Best regards,
    Hoang

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.