Authors can see and Edit Events Module

I have my site set with Authors and custom authors who can access the dashboard but should not be able to do much more than edit posts.

The author IS able though to Edit events.

If the same editor clicks on WMPU products in the dashboard they are rejected.

They need to be rejected from accessing the EVENTS as well.

Note: Under Users...role capacities I have it set to not allow authors access to events but it is ignored.

Please advise.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi David,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

I can see you are using older version 1.8 of Events + plugin so could you please try using latest version 1.8.1.1 of it?

I logged in to your site using support staff access and found you are using Capability Manager Enhanced plugin to edit role capability so i tried to troubleshoot it by creating test editor user account but i couldn't log in using this account as the custom login screen on your site as shown in the attached screenshot is just reloading without logging me in.

Could you please make sure the custom login screen working or temporary deactivate it so that i can use default log in screen to troubleshoot it?

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• David

Hi.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I had to hop off project and then CAREFULLY update this one as there is customization's to map back into the updates.

I updated all plugins and the WP software to the latest version.

Note I have a special Author Type called PC Author (For protecting Children)

It's set with the ability to only edit Posts and should be for the specific category protecting children.

As for the Editor you created. I see tester tester. Are you saying Tester Tester's password that you generated does not work?

If so, as the administrator I went back and changed your editor password and was able to login.

Q: through the WPMU Development support system back door using support staff access can you access the dashboard as an admin? Please let me know, otherwise please provide a private email to send you the password.

Presently the PC Author (different from an editor) still has access to Events and event though I set user davidtester to Restrict the categories in which this user can post to Select categories: Protecting Childhood, he has access to edit any post as well.

Please advise

Side note: I hope you are not confused by this screen: because after logging in the login screen is stupid. It still says Log In but if you notice it ALSO says : You are currently logged in as tester. Log out »

If I were a programmer I would generate an if else statement to hide the login text and lost password notification while logged in but I don't know how to write it.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

As for the Editor you created. I see tester tester. Are you saying Tester Tester's password that you generated does not work?

If so, as the administrator I went back and changed your editor password and was able to login.

Yes that was the user account that i ad created and it's working so i could login to your site.

Side note: I hope you are not confused by this screen: because after logging in the login screen is stupid. It still says Log In but if you notice it ALSO says : You are currently logged in as tester. Log out »

No i didn't confuse by it and the page was just reloading as shown in the attached screenshot after entering correct credentials without displaying any error message.

If I were a programmer I would generate an if else statement to hide the login text and lost password notification while logged in but I don't know how to write it.

You can achieve that easily by adding the following CSS code in the style.css file of your child theme or add it in your site using the following plugin.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

body.page-id-5688.logged-in .entry-content * {
      display: none;
    }
    body.page-id-5688.logged-in .entry-content .wppb-alert,
    body.page-id-5688.logged-in .entry-content .wppb-alert a {
      display: block;
    }

Note I have a special Author Type called PC Author (For protecting Children)

It's set with the ability to only edit Posts and should be for the specific category protecting children.

After logging in to your site using support staff access i set the PC Author role to the tester user i have created and i could confirm the same behavior as you have described.

If the same editor clicks on WMPU products in the dashboard they are rejected.

They need to be rejected from accessing the EVENTS as well.

I troubleshooted it and found in the code the product post type is assigned page capability type which is built in capability type but for event post type the event capability type is assigned which is custom capability type as shown in the attached screenshots and meta capabilities like editing for custom post types were not being automatically mapped, so we couldn’t have granular control over permissions.

You have to develop some custom code to handle this as described on the following page.

http://justintadlock.com/archives/2010/07/10/meta-capabilities-for-custom-post-types

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.