Auto Assign "Subscriber" User-Role on Network Site Upon Registration

Hello Support!

I hope you're doing well tonight!!

I know this issue has been hashed over time and time again so I hope you will bare with me!

Here are the plugins in my setup that are relevant to this issue:
Multisite
Networks for Wordpress
BuddyPress
BuddyPress Multi Networks
(bp_enable_multiblog 'true' )
bbPress
ProSites (working flawlessly)
Membership (purring like a newborn kitten all except for 'one' thing) - see below
User-Role Editor Pro (Mentioned for one reason) - see below

Three things that are very important to understand.

1) EVERYTHING regarding this setup is working PERFECTLY! (accept one thing)
2) I know this system very, very well and I have completely EXHAUSTED all other options...
3) I don't like Multisite User Management because it automatically adds every user in your database to each new 'Network' created. If I could turn off the 'Auto Add' feature it WOULD solve my problem.

Like I said, all aspects of the plugins previously mentioned seem to be working perfectly.

Two of the plugins are supposed to handle 'new subscriber', user-role assignment.

User-Role Editor Pro and Membership

Here's what's happening / not happening...

1) New User Registers. 'Basic Registration' Using Buddypress Registration Form.
a) Site creation works perfectly for pro-sites. Site is assigned the to the level that we have pre-determined for their 'free trial'. Activation email is sent and works perfectly. All aspects of ProSite setup works as expected including user-role etc...
2) New user is automatically assigned as a "MEMBER" to the correct membership level in 'Membership' as expected and defined in our settings. The ONLY thing that is not happening is the user-role assignment to the main 'Network' site; defined as 'subscriber' in the 'Membership' settings of the first Membership level.

I would like to think that I have become a very advanced user of WPMUdev's plugins and I have read 'every' searchable conversation in the forums related to this issue.

When considering solutions to my post, please assume I know 'every' standard and 'almost' every advanced "DID YOU" you can think of...

I either need an overide php script OR we need to figure out how to get the 'Membership' plugin to override all other possible commands and function as intended in it's user-role assignment function.

Here are two head scratchers for you... What IS happening!

1) New registered users ARE being assigned as 'participants' by bbPress to both the WP user-role table and the bbPress 'forum' table.
2) If I 'uncheck' the auto assignment setting in bbPress, nothing is assigned and the new user is also not assigned to a level in 'Membership'.
3) I originally created a staging install through wpengine to test this and the user-role auto assignment as 'subscriber' worked! I'm going to re-test this as soon as I click send and I'll report back.

I'm going to grant you support access to both the primary site and the staging site. You can muck around in the staging site and I also just did a master backup of everything in case you want to muck around a little bit on the primary site.

Again, please keep in mind this is a very advanced install that I have been working on for months (and documenting all of my conflicts and their resolutions). I'm sure I'll be sending you guys articles as soon as I'm fully launched but for now this is LITERALLY the last issue I'm dealing with. I have over 300 plugins and 100 theme's installed on this network with over 60 activated and a 95% / 73% rating on GTMetrix! http://gtmetrix.com/reports/sitetaylor.com/DCWG2Vvb

*** If I don't find a solution, it's not a deal breaker, I'm happy to launch the system as is because it's working just fine but it would be nice to have user-role assignment automated as intended.

Thanks all, I look forward to reading your incredibly well thought out reply!

• SD2k

OK, another issue, one that I know has been an on again off again issue with the Membership plugin and has happened before but you fixed which surprised me...

I created a 100% off coupon so I could upgrade the Hangout.Master 'Member' from Follower to Leader.

It upgraded the member to the new level but it did not drop 'Follower' member level.

It DID upgrade the user-role from 'participant' to "Author" as defined through our settings so that is good!

What's not good is it kept 'Follower' membership level which has negative rules and will cause conflicts.

Seems like the same issues keep creeping back in.

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @sdinvestor2k, hope you're well today!

First of all thank you for such a detailed explanation.

The ONLY thing that is not happening is the user-role assignment to the main 'Network' site; defined as 'subscriber' in the 'Membership' settings of the first Membership level.

Could you please add more information about this part so I can better understand the issue you're having.

As for the upgrade issue. I just tested this on my installation and when adding a 100% coupon and upgrading it from front end dropped the subscription and level. Did you upgrade the subscription from back end?

Looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• SD2k

Thank you @Bojan,

Would you please be so kind as to escalate this over to @Jack Kitterhing or @Tyler Postle.

This really is an advanced install and a couple of the problems I'm having are issues that have cropped up with the 'Membership' plugin several times in the past as new upgrades have been issued.

I honestly don't know that I could explain this any clearer. I'm referring directly to settings within Membership.

I'll include some screen shots if that helps. I can tell you didn't look at any of my settings which could have answered the question you asked. What I'm trying to do is bring several brilliant systems together and accomplish what some might say is impossible when it comes to prosites and the membership system.

Here are the screen shots:

• SD2k

Hey @Tyler Postle, thank you for your help in live chat last night!

I have done a lot of trouble shooting as a result of some of your suggestions and here's what I have learned so far...

One of the main issues is with bbPress's new auto assign role feature. It overrides Membership's role assignment based on member level. So basically it is assigning 'spectator' to both user-role and forum-user-role.

The problem doesn't stop there. If you turn this feature off after activating it, it prevents the user from being added as a member to both Membership plugin and Network site.

I'll do some more testing and let you know what I find but maybe you can send this to the developers for further review!

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!!!

• SD2k

As a reminder:

Here are the plugins in my setup that are relevant to this issue:
    Multisite
    Networks for Wordpress
    BuddyPress
    BuddyPress Multi Networks
    (bp_enable_multiblog 'true' )
    bbPress
    ProSites (working flawlessly)
    Membership (purring like a newborn kitten all except for 'one' thing. not assigning new user as 'subscriber' on network site)
    User-Role Editor Pro (not assigning network site user-role either)

• Tyler Postle

Hey SD,

No problem! Thanks for stopping by the chat

One of the main issues is with bbPress's new auto assign role feature. It overrides Membership's role assignment based on member level. So basically it is assigning 'spectator' to both user-role and forum-user-role.

I've been testing this further and the issue isn't actually bbpress. It's just the fact that you're using the network registration to sign up users.

Users signed up on the network registration will only get added to the network wide users list. Not any of the site specific ones such as the main sites user list.

If you have a separate page for your membership registration then that one will be site specific to your main site and it will register them and display them on the main site with the subscriber role.

The important part here is that the main site registration. /wp-signup.php which becomes /register with BuddyPress - is the network registration. Signing them up just to the network users list and no specific site.

I never noticed this until all my testing now to be honest :p

The bbpress auto-role is assigning them the right user, but the network is still only giving them the pseudo-subscriber role since that is default for a network registration.

The problem doesn't stop there. If you turn this feature off after activating it, it prevents the user from being added as a member to both Membership plugin and Network site.

This is default behaviour of a network install as I described above.

If you instead sign them up through the Membership registration(set a page different than the bp register page) then it will add them to the main site correctly

So, I think what you need here is some custom development that forces users to be listed on the main site, but only the users that have signed up through the network registration. You don't want the users that signed up on the subsites to show on the main site.

Look forward to hearing back SD! Learning a lot of Multisite registrations :p

Cheers,
    Tyler