Auto Blog Errors - WP HTTP Error: cURL error 28

I'm not sure when this started but last week I noticed that several RSS feeds stopped processing via the WPMU Auto Blog plugin on our website. Every time the feed service tries to process, we get this error:

WP HTTP Error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 816 out of 14633 bytes received

The errors change only slightly. Here is another example:
WP HTTP Error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 2852 out of 14633 bytes received

We tried to do some research and found that it may have to do with XML-RPC, so we disabled the "Disable XML-RPC Pingback" plugin, that we had active, and tested. Same result.

We tired disabling all of the plugins and switching the default theme -- same result.

We also asked our hosting company, Rackspace, to raise the execution limit for PHP to 120 seconds. Still not working.

At this point Rackspace wanted to know what curl command the WPMU Auto Blog uses. Can you help me troubleshoot this and/or provide that information? I have enabled WPMU DEV Support for this site if you'd like to take a look.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Page1Solutions ,

I'm sorry to hear you have this issue.

Please try one more time increasing max execution time, this time increase it to 300 seconds. Add the following line to .htaccess (make sure to backup .htaccess before making any changes):
    php_value max_execution_time 300

Or edit the php.ini file located in /wp-content/ folder:
    max_execution_time = 300

Please let me know, have you recently moved your site to CloudFlare? Can you deactivate it to test if this solves the issue?

Alternatively, depending on apache version you can try increasing mod_reqtimeout
    RequestReadTimeout header=10-30,MinRate=500

For more information please see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_reqtimeout.html
    Your hosting provider can do this for you.

In the meantime I've contacted our developers about what curl command the Autoblog plugin uses.

Let me know how it goes!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Page1Solutions
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you. I tried the .htaccess php_value but that didn't help.

The site does use CloudFlare and we did recently upgrade to their flexable https. That sounds like the culprit. The timing is suspicious, although some of the feeds have been working since the change...

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Page1Solutions , hope you are doing well

I've tested the feeds on my site and can't replicate the same.

One thought is that CloudFlare's firewall is blocking connections to the feeds in a result that the scripts times out. Would you please send to us your credentials so our developer could have a closer look?

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Please send in:
    Subject: “Attn: Nastia”
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login URL
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

We are waiting for your email.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Page1Solutions

Before I hand over the keys to the castle, I was wondering if you could provide the curl command that the Auto Blog plugin might be using? This was something Rackspace support asked for last week.

I also have a ticket into CloudFlare, since it's likely that is involved.

Thanks again for your help!

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Page1Solutions,

I hope you are well today and I'm sorry for the late.

Before I hand over the keys to the castle, I was wondering if you could provide the curl command that the Auto Blog plugin might be using? This was something Rackspace support asked for last week.

Autoblog reuse WordPress core function for requesting, in this case, it is wp_remote_post.
    If you want to know how WP using CURL, please check the file /wp-includes/Requests/Transport/cURL.php

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Page1Solutions

Thank you Hoang. I handed over the keys a week ago -- so I'm hoping a developer will tour the castle and report back soon!

In the mean time, I will research Wordpress core functions and provide the requested information to my hosting company.

• Page1Solutions

The techs at Rackspace had this to say yesterday:

Unfortunately with the execution time increased to 120 seconds it appears there's an issue with the plugin not setting the curl/libcurl timeout period large enough; there's no global setting for this value in the configuration files so it must be over-ridden at the application-code level.

• Page1Solutions

Hello! We're still waiting for a developer to login to the site and take a look at this. The WPMU Support Plugin says, "No one from Support has logged in yet. Sit tight!"

For about a month now, the WPUM Dev Auto Blog plugin has reported a cURL 28 error. This error is a memory timeout error. However Rackspace, the hosting company, reports that cURL is working fine. It is up-to-date, they are able to manual test my feeds from this server without issue, and although the PHP execution limit has been increased to 120, the error is still happening.

I've provided your team FTP access, an admin account, and support access but haven't heard back from your team. I've also hired another outside developer to work on this but they haven't found the problem yet either.

I'm wondering if I might get someone from your team to take a look at this please?

• Panos
    • SLS

Hi Page1Solutions ,

Really sorry for the delay!

I see you have sent in ftp information to Nastia, but the host is missing so I can't connect. Could you please make sure you send in the following 4 creds
    FTP Host
    FTP User
    FTP Password
    and Port

As Hoang has mentioned in a previous reply, the plugin is using WP core functions for remote calls, so I would like to test these functions response outside of plugin.

Thanks!

• Page1Solutions

I will get the updated FTP information over to your team.

In the mean time, it looks like someone from the WPMU just published an article on our website. "Fun Ways to Add Gamification to Your Website" was posted on our US recall site, which I assume was a live test of the WPMU blog feed...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.