Auto Blog: RSS and Custom Fields

Hi everyone - is it possible to have custom fields on subsites that, when using Auto Blog, populate the same named custom fields on the main site - for example, an event Start Date and Time field that will allow for filtering on the main site?

Thanks. Gavin.

• Rupok

Hi Gavin

Hope you had a wonderful day.

This won't be possible with currently available options. Well, still it can be done but this will require huge advanced custom coding which is, I'm afraid, beyond our support scope.

You can always hire a developer from our Jobs Section for doing this. Please keep in mind, developers found in our Jobs Section are not associated with us. So communicated with them well before you make any payments to them.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Gavin, hope you had a wonderful day.

We really want to provide solutions and we become very happy when we can do that. But look, here Autoblog plugin pulls data from RSS Feed. Now your regular RSS feed doesn't contain data from your custom fields. So you have to rewrite the process of generating RSS, or make your RSS include your custom fields data. That's a complex task.

Then Autoblog uses RSS Parser. That RSS Parser normally won't look for custom field data. We have to make it look for custom data in our desired structured way. That's also a complex task. And even after that, that custom data has to be inserted in the same custom field.

This full process is a custom task and now you understand why this will require huge custom coding. I hope you understand.

Please let us know if you have any other quiry. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Gavin

Hi Rupok. Thanks - my next thought was to pull the data from custom fields and add them to the content area, but I can't seem to get that working either. In particular, trying to create different feeds for different post-types.Do you have any suggested resources to help me with this?

I've tried this as a test to add content to the Events RSS:

function yu_test_feed( $content ) {
    if(is_feed('event')) {
    $post_id = get_the_ID();
    $output .='<p>' . 'MY TEXT' . '</p>';
    $content=$output.$content;
    }
    return $content;
    }
    add_filter( 'the_content_feed','yu_test_feed');

... but it doesn't seem to be working.

If not, no worries. I'll probably go down the single-site multi-author route.

Thanks for your help. Gavin.

• Rupok

Hi Gavin, hope you had a wonderful day.

In particular, trying to create different feeds for different post-types.Do you have any suggested resources to help me with this?

For getting different feeds for different post types, you can simply go to this URL:
    http://www.yoursite.com/feed/?post_type=courses
    Change the post_type name from "courses" to the one that you want to create a separate RSS feed for and "yoursite.com" with your actual domain. If you wanna get RSS feed for a specific custom post type and custom taxonomy? You can get that by going to this URL:
    http://www.yoursite.com/feed/?post_type=course&instructor=Rupok

Here, "instructor" would be the custom taxonomy, and "Rupok" would be the tag if you may call it that.

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.