Auto Blog turned on by default on all blogs

On previous versions of auto blog, the super admin controlled all feeds and each individual blog did not have an auto blog menu, the admin could turn feeds on and off on a per blog basis. This meant that as a super admin, we could turn auto blog on and off on a per blog basis enabling us to add this as an upgrade option which users paid for. With the newest version, Auto Blog creates menus in each blog so each user automatically has Auto Blog turned on by default / ability to use it, something we do not want to happen. Once you install auto blog, every user has it.

Is there any way to turn off or disable auto blog on a per blog basis? If it lived in /plugins/ we could turn it on and off as needed on a per blog basis, but since it's in /mu-plugins/ it looks like it's an all or none proposition in terms of once it's installed everyone has it. Am I correct or is there a way to turn off on a per blog basis?

Any feedback appreciated!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

This is the same issue I'm having and a security concern where a subdomain account can see and edit the autoblog feed.

Auto blog is designed to be installed and activated on the main blog and managed from there, populating other blogs. The current version is not designed to be installed and activated on multiple blogs and managed as independent installs.

• Tracy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Barry: It sounds like you are describing exactly the functionality we are looking for and used to have, however, if I create a new admin for a site (not super admin), the new admin will have access to the AutoBlog menu and can add / remove feeds to Auto Blog .... I've tested using older admin logins and a newly created admin after clearing all cookies.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, previously only the super admin could see the auto blog menu and have access to it's functionality and after upgrading to latest version of Auto Blog, now any admin on any blog can see the Auto Blog menu, add feeds to it, etc. .....

Any feedback appreciated again. :slight_smile:

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Anyone else seeing the Auto Blog menu show up when logged in as a non super admin, just a normal admin?

It should only be activated on the main blog - as in the blog the admin user is using to feed posts to *other* blogs. It is set to be controlled by an admin user, the admin of the main blog.

It should not be activated site-wide or placed in mu-plugins.

Sorry, re-response - I thought I'd closed this thread as the posts are getting circular.

• Tracy

Barry,

Thank for the response. Instructions say to install in mu-plugins, that was the issue:

Plugin Name: Autoblog
    Author: Barry Getty (Incsub)

Files:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    autoblog.php - goes in /wp-content/mu-plugins
    /autoblogincludes/ - goes in /wp-content/mu-plugins

• Tracy

It looks to me like in addition to having the wrong install folder in the documentation, the installation process may be wrong as well (as far as I can tell). It looks to me like the autoblog folder should be uploaded to /plugins/ ..... and that autoblog.php and the /autoblogincludes/ folder should not be uploaded as separate elements (as indicated in documentation), if it is you will get the error below ..... perhaps someone can clarify?

If the roles were reversed, would it be easier to understand why it is frustrating when it takes up to a week or more between responses and the documentation, which was noted as being incorrect over a month ago, still hasn't been updated?

Warning: fopen(/home/prodxxxucti/public_html/wp-content/plugins/autoblog/autoblog.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/producti/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4165

Warning: fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/prodxxxucti/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4168

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/prodxxxucti/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4171

• ltruex
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I'm a little confused. When I installed Autoblog as indicated (in mu-plugins), it showed up in the dashboard of all the blogs in the network. What I'm reading here though is that it should be just on the main blog, which can use autoblog to feed to the other blogs. I've read in this thread that perhaps I'm supposed to install in plugins and not mu-plugins. But when I do that it indicates there are errors. But
    I was able to add it to supporter as a premium blog option, which I know it wasn't designed for, but would love to see.I was able to add a feed despite the error message.

My issue is that when its installed on MU all blog owners have the option to use it, which if I read correctly isn't supposed to happen (and I don't want except as an upgrade).

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.