Auto-Enroll Manually-Added Students & Student roles / categories?

I am using WP & CPP to build a training intranet for our company's employees. We are have turned off registration and plan on manually adding / inviting student employees. With that said, I have two different questions.

One, I'd like to only make certain courses available to certain students, based on a role or some type of designation. The goal is to show all basic courses to everyone, but only show courses meant for sales managers to sales managers and above, courses meant for general managers to GM's and above, etc., etc... Can you recommend or direct me on how I can achieve this?

Second, I'd like to auto-enroll every student we invite into our basic courses, along with any specific courses relating to their role. Would this also recommend or direct me on how I can achieve this?

On a final note, I am extremely impressed with your plugins and what I have seen of your support. :slight_smile:

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Lincoln,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

One, I'd like to only make certain courses available to certain students, based on a role or some type of designation. The goal is to show all basic courses to everyone, but only show courses meant for sales managers to sales managers and above, courses meant for general managers to GM's and above, etc., etc... Can you recommend or direct me on how I can achieve this?

Are the sales/general manager creators of courses or the students?

If they are students then they will only have access to those courses where you have manually added them as student.

Second, I'd like to auto-enroll every student we invite into our basic courses, along with any specific courses relating to their role. Would this also recommend or direct me on how I can achieve this?

The students that you have added manually to the course are auto enrolled to that course.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Lincoln

I guess I wasn't clear. Another 6+ hours waiting... :slight_frown:

I am manually adding students, as in I am not allowing people to register. I'm creating a students account under STUDENTS, having their password sent to them by email and assigning their user-role - of which I may find a user-role plugin to more accurately define each student's role in our orginization.

There will be many courses developed over time, and no one will have time to go through and add a NEW employee student to each course that they need to be assigned to. A Human Resources employee will add the new employees as students in WP / CPP. I am wanting to automatically-enroll that new student into our BASIC courses. We can then manually enroll them in any additional courses, if necessary.

HOWEVER, I would prefer to simply change their user-role and auto-magically have them enrolled into any and all courses for that role and below.

So... a new-hire will will get an invite to be a student and be auto-enrolled into our intro (basic) courses of our business processes. Then once they have completed these basic courses, I can change their user-role to their actual job position, which will have specific courses related to their job duties. Then if they ever promote up, I can simply change their user-role again and they will have access to any and all associated courses to that user-role, as well as any from a lower position (user-role) that they have already gone through.

Does this make sense what I'm trying to do?

P.S. I keep mentioning user-roles, but I am not stuck on that if there is a better or more efficient method of handling this. :slight_smile:

Thanks BTW.. hoping you guys can direct me to accomplish my tasks!

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Lincoln,

Extremely sorry for the delay here.

I understood what you are trying to achieve here but to achieve it you will have to develop custom code as it's not possible out of the box without custom coding.

Developing custom code for custom functionality is beyond the scope of support that we provide. See here https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/support-vs-custom-development/

If you are not a programmer then you can consider hiring a developer from https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-custom-development/ to develop it for you.

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.