Auto: Signup

Seems like lately I am getting a lot of auto signups. What is the best way to prevent this from happening. I have the Anti-Splog plugin installed which has caught them and identified them as spam (which they are). I also have WPMU with BuddyPress.

Suggestions?

Working Friendly
Mike

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

We just discussed this yesterday. and I provided a few links. I;m going to redirect you to that discussion so that we can keep everything together:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/spam-signups-getting-passed-capture-question

edit: Reopening since I noticed this bit:

What is the best way to prevent this from happening. I have the Anti-Splog plugin installed which has caught them and identified them as spam (which they are).

That's how you handle spammer and splogs. To use an example, the bugs still splatter on your windshield when you're cruising down the interstate. The windshield stops them but you still have to clean up the mess.

You can try monitoring the IP addresses that are being used. For example, we have large portions of ev1/theplanet/softlayer blocked because of this and them never following up on complaints. Botnets are always changing so blocking via a htaccess deny may be helpful for a bit but you'll still have to deal with it once those splog creators move onto a new IP bot.

• dmdwebdesigns
    • New Recruit

I am having tons of signups as well... however since I am NOT using Multisite WP... only BuddyPress, the Anti-Spolg Plugin will NOT activate.

Please ANY other suggestions to STOP bot users from signing up on my BuddyPress Website???

What is the best Captcha plugin for Buddypress?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.