"Auto-update" doesn't match expectation

I wanted to mention that I don't think the phrase, "Auto-update" matches the user expectation for what it does.

I get that the dashboard supercedes a legacy of manually uploading plugins, but outside of that history it doesn't mean as much. I would posit that most folks are used to installing plugins from the in-site viewer.

For my part, I was hesitant to press it, in case it would auto-update in the future. I need to know what is happening with my site (and I also commit my code in git as I make changes, including plugins), so the wording threw me off.

I propose you put in a short message, if it needs to be done, something like, "Update this plugin (or visit this plugin's page to do so manually)." Put that beneath an big Update button and I bet it would be more useful. ^_^

• PC

Hiya @maiki

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Auto Update feature of the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin is provided to let you update the plugins/themes from us with a single click. Its not designed in such a way that if you auto update a plugin once, it will auto update automatically in future. It will show you a notification in your dashboard and you can choose or not to update it automatically.

However, your suggestions are welcome and I will move it to the Features and Feedback section so that it can be taken into consideration for the future releases.

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion and being a great member of the community !

Cheers
    PC

• PC

Hiya @maiki

Auto Update feature of the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin is provided to let you update the plugins/themes from us with a single click. Its not designed in such a way that if you auto update a plugin once, it will auto update automatically in future. It will show you a notification in your dashboard and you can choose or not to update it automatically.

However, your suggestions are welcome and I will move it to the Features and Feedback section so that it can be taken into consideration for the future releases.

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion and being a great member of the community !

Cheers
    PC

• PC

Hiya @maiki

Cheers
    PC

• maiki

Just to be clear, I am not proposing that it auto-update, rather, that it not say "auto-update", since that means something specific, and doesn't accurately reflect what is happening. It would be better to just say Update, since the button wouldn't be there if you were required to manually download the plugin and upload it to your server.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.