Auto Updating

Hi: I read that we should upload themes and plugins manually but what about the “auto updating” feature? When I try to auto-update I get this error …

“Incompatible Archive. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature”

Is there anything I can do to get it working properly?

Thx

Rob

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Simcoeartists :slight_smile:

I agree with Timothy that it seems to be a space problem from what we can find on this error.

What version of WP are you running?

and of course David’s question concerning which “auto update” is relative too …..

Joe :slight_smile:

• Simcoeartists
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks guys, I see. I have no limits on space. I am referring to automatically updating plugins and themes through the wpmudev area. That’s where I have the problem. I do not have the problem if I go to the “plugins” area

There’s a post I found here http://wordpress.org/support/topic/unable-to-update-to-wordpress-282

The opinions seem to sort of line up with disk space.

I’ll see if there are settings on the server causing this.

Thanks again!

R

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I realise you are most likely on an “unlimited” package from your words, but really there are always limits, space is not endless in terms of HDs, when hosts offer this just try using a few terabytes (If they let you get close to that) of information and see how long they keep you on that package. Anyway you might wish to seek the advice of your host.

I did see some mentions of this issue with PHP4 but I’m sure you would have more problems by now if that were the case.

Seems most people say it relate to space, perhaps have a look at any memory limits.

Does it happen with all plugins from WPMUDEV, as a way to test you could get an old version of a small plugin like:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/login-image

And then do the upgrade. I’m just thinking if your trying a larger a plugin and memory is a problem then that could be an issue. Because I don’t have the issue its hard for me to debug but thats probably where I would take a peek first if HD space is definitely not an issue.

• Simcoeartists

Does it happen with all plugins from WPMUDEV, as a way to test you could get an old version of a small plugin like:

Yes it is only with WPMUDEV plugins. I am also using standards plugins which update fine from plugins.

Thanks Tim!

Rob

• Simcoeartists

I have just spoken to my host. This is what they said.

“This error appears to be internal to WordPress and is not being produced by our servers. My best recommendation is to contact WordPress support or the creator of one of those plugins for assistance. There’s nothing on our server that would be causing WordPress Dashboard not to be able to read a file.”

On my other WP sites not running wpmudev I have no problems with auto update. wpmudev now has dozens of update warnings. All of them will not update automatically.

Any other ideas?

Thx,

Rob

• Simcoeartists

Thanks Ovidiu. You mean this pluginhttps://premium.wpmudev.org/project/update-notifications?

If so, yes it is up to date. Then I have changed the “Plugins” folder to 777. It has no effect.

Also, I have just installed and MU network on another server and am getting the same error when trying to auto-update.

As I grow my networks with wpmudev I can see this being a pain in the a$#.

Is there any other magic you would suggest?

Thx in Adnvance,

R

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

by permissions I didn’t only mean to check for 777 sorry, my fault. could you please also check the ownership of the plugins you can’t update and compare them to the plugins you can update?

since both are located inside the wp-content/plugins/ folder checking parent folders doesn’t make sense…

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

Ovidiu is on to something, especially if you uploaded the files in ssh the permissions due to ownership would not allow the update.

@ovidiu the firm I hired to do my PPC Click Script have almost finished – we are testing it now. In this case I hired a whole firm rather then just an in house employee due to the then upcoming summer :slight_smile:

Once the University lets out I almost always lose my coders for the summer …. lol

• Simcoeartists

Thanks guys: I have tried the .htaccess suggestion. Result:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

As far as ownership, not sure how to check that? I tried auto updating again and got the same errors. Then I downloaded my error log. I was hoping to see the error in the log file but I do not. The error log is attached.

Thanks

Rob

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

forgot the attachment?

to check ownership: usually the same way you check for permissions…

alternatively, you could connect via FTP to your server and right click a folder, select permissions or properties, depending on your ftp client: then you’ll see owner and permissions

or using ssh: do a ls -al on your server…

• Simcoeartists

Actually the system does not allow the file type for upload. I glanced through the log and cannot seem to find errors referencing this problem. I will reattach the error log again to as .txt (hope it works)

I have now activated my third MU community and am encountering the same issues with auto updating plugins and themes.

If it helps I am using Hostgator as a host.

Thanks A lot

R

Edit: After publishing this post “[denied size] error_log.txt (396.3 KB)”

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

ok, let me ask you this:

– how do you install new wordpress.org plugins?

– how do you install WPMUDEV plugins?

The methods probably differ, so would you mind installing an outdated wordpress.org plugin the same way you install a WPMUDEV plugin and check if you can update it?

If you are using the exact same methods, I’m out of ideas :slight_smile:

• Simcoeartists

Uhhh, the methods are different because wpmudev says to FTP all themes and plugins.

– how do you install new wordpress.org plugins?

Through the interface, never by FTP

– how do you install WPMUDEV plugins?

Through FTP, never the interface

I think I see whee you are going with this (brilliant). Shall I try to upload an old wpmudev plugin through the interface upload as opposed to FTP to test your theory?

Thx,

R

• Simcoeartists

Bingo!

You rock. I just tested this problem by uploading through WordPress plugins upload. I intentionally used an old version wpmudev plugin. It immediately needed updating, so I updated it. No probleemos!

Not sure if this is host specific but if you are using Hostgator (many do for MU), this solves the problem. The downside is it goes against the tutorials at wpmudev. They suggest for best results to FTP themes and plugins up. I am by no means a coder, but this may have something to do with permission (ownership)?

Thanks a Bunch!

Rob

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@simcoeartists: this is host specific since it depends on the host’s configuration.

attention simplified explanation coming up:

the plugin’s you upload via the browser are owned by the user the web server runs as while the plugin’s you upload via FTP are owned by your FTP user thus denying access to the web-server user (due to wrong ownership) when it tries to update the plugin (deleting and overwriting it).

there are different solutions but they all depend on your host and his configuration. please do ask your host this what he is suggesting to overcome this problem.

[rant start]

once upon a time, I used a wordpress plugin that would allow to upload zipped files, unzip and place them into the proper directories, i.e. the plugins directory.

a few versions ago this method stopped working since you are not allowed to upload .php files. I never managed to overcome this despite being the site admin thus losing a very neat method of installing plugins :slight_frown: grrr…

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-easy-uploader/ this is the plugin I am talking about and if anyone manages to figure out how I can upload php files without allowing everyone to do so I’d be very obliged. sorry to extend this thread with my own grievance but it would really solve your problem too

[/rant end]

+++edit+++

I don’t know which method you managed to use for uploading but as long as it works you should be fine. FTP is suggested because a lot of plugins here need to be installed in different directories while most wordpress.org plugins only go into the plugins directory so to transfer via FTP you need to download, unzip and actually deal with the plugin avoiding people clicking some isntall button, not reading instructions and then complaining it doesn’t work. so if you carefully read every installation instruction around here the method of transfer doesn’t matter as long as you put all files exactly where they need to go! This is my personal opinion and WPMUDEV support might disagree…

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

this is absolutely host specific the way the server itself deals with permissions and owner.

The reason many of the WPMU plugins should be FTP’ed IS because many go into different folders then just the standard plugin does.

@ovidiu – I do not think there is anything wrong with telling about that other plugin that you would like to see functiuoning properly and of course you are right again with the fact that it would help many :slight_smile:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Fantastic, the problem was ownership by the looks.

Another thing to note is that using the auto installer and updater could also fail leaving partially uploaded or removed files. Using FTP just ensures you cleanly remove and upload everything which is needed.

Never had the error myself but good to know now! :slight_smile:

@ovidiu hows that new job and city going? Still board? What is it you do if you don’t mind me asking?

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

@timothy: all is good, especially after a long weekend :wink:

I’m in IT, did hardware and software support for starters, built up a new plant for a car supplier abroad (IT-wise) currently doing contract work for a global player in telecommunications. There is not much I don’t do except programming and touching Lotus notes :wink:

@wpmudev: Its a pity there is no private messaging around here and that the profiles are public and don’t allow that many fields… I do think one could do some serious networking around here.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings WPMUDEV :slight_smile:

I second and agree with Ovidiu’s comment on Private Messaging and that it would be a great feature :slight_smile:

This is such a great place for developers and users alike and some things when trying to figure out a persons problem and they do not want to send their information public – this would be a great way to receive there login info etc. or other things BEST kept private.

Please consider this for the very near future :slight_smile:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

@arcnu +1 on the following please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/request-community-features

I know Ovidiu has already posted on that thread.

@ovidiu, you must like the fact you get to tour the world world whilst being paid for it. lol

Lotus Notes… Have they not had a funeral for that….. Never realised it was still around to be honest. lol

And I agree, this could be an excellent networking site to connect professionals, developers, designers and hosts. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.