Autoblog 3.5.3 released

Hi Gang

Autoblog version 3.5.3 is now out and available for download.
The changelog for this version is here:
https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/autoblog/download

But basically this version adds extra bits to the Feeds list, consolidates (and fixes a couple of issues) with the Site admin interface and network admin interfaces and more importantly handles the feed importing on individual sites based on their own timezones.

Plus, I've added a few extra configuration options to enable more fine-grained control over processing and timings.

• Tracy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

We're are still not seeing any feeds process. We manually processed and "next check" time has come and gone and is in the past .... Since we have to manually, we've noticed that in the Network Admin section, the pre-existing issue with trying to check all feeds and process them all at once still exists. The only way to process feeds is to process each one by one ... checking all and clicking the "Process" button has no affect.

We also have a user who has processing and last checked stuck significantly in the future (tomorow, the 4th), so manually processing his feeds does nothing. Using the reset plugin and deleting the feed altogether and re-creating it also have no effect as the processing times again revert to the future ...

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If you've got access to the database, can you check the wp_autoblog table and reset the lastupdated field to 0, and the nextcheck field to a timestamp of a few hours or a day ago:

This will help build a timestamp or tell you what date and time an existing timestamp represents.
    http://www.unixtimestamp.com/index.php

Also, version 3.5.3 is out now, but it's only a fix for some non-multisite functions - will get the update notifications sorted, we're still not sure why it's ignore autoblog but we're getting closer.

• Tracy

Every feed has it's own value for lastupdated, it sounds you are asking me to change a singular value though, is this correct? If so, I may not be looking in the right place. Since the feeds only run if we manually process them, all nextcheck times are in the past, they only get updated when we manually process. We are on 3.5.3.

The same issue where feeds do not process occurs for us on other multi-site installs as well.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

There are only two places that determine whether a feed should be processed or not - the nextcheck field in the autoblog table and the autoblog timestamp that can be reset with the reset autoblog add-on.

The only thing I can think of is to remove those checks from your installs and see if the feeds process then, that way we can determine which part is causing the main problem.

I'll put together a replacement autoblogprocess file and upload it to here so you can test it if you want to and we'll see what happens.

I'm also going to put up a debug add-on that will run a check on the autoblog feed listings to make sure they are pointing to the correct places in every location (the plugin stores the target blog in two places now, so we need to make sure they are the same otherwise we'll get issues).

• Tracy

I did find that two feeds among hundreds are processing correctly, the commonality between them is that both users have their website / blog time zone set to UTC-0 in the "General" settings ... everyone else has US based time zones so they are using settings other than UTC-0. Hopefully this can shed a little light on where to look when troubleshooting ...

• msaizan
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Tracy, are you saying that you changed your time zones from inside wordpress admin panel "settings"? If so, I am going to give that a whirl. I really need to get these feeds automating. I am burned out on manually turning them.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Just put 3.5.4 up - will put a new sticky on here shortly.

Updates are - new add-on, if you activate the Check Feed Entries add on, and go to the network admin area and view your feeds it will run a quick check for each one to make sure they are set up correctly.

I've also added some options to the config.php file, they are commented just above each entry so have a look, you can now control most aspects from there.

Ones to test on your installs would be setting AUTOBLOG_FORCE_PROCESS_ALL to true first and see if that does anything to get the feeds processing again, and then test the AUTOBLOG_PROCESS_EVERY_PAGE_LOAD one to get rid of a chunk of the timestamp checking.

• Danny

When trying to use this feed:
    http://web-designers-norwich.co.uk/makefulltextfeed.php?url=www.techwatch.co.uk%2Fnews%2Finternet%2Ffeed%2F&what=auto&max=10&links=remove&exc=&submit=Create+Feed/

It processes the feed and says feed processed but no posts are made.

You can copy and paste the link into your browser and see that it is a valid rss feed.

I understand what you might think about the link but it is for testing purposes only. I will however be asking for permission to use this to pull info from some news sites so really would like this to work.

Ideas?

P.S It can be done as wp-robot pulls the content fine and before you say why not just use that.. it is too bulky and munches resources :wink:

Cheers guys.

• TerryG
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Short note: Still not showing up in the WPMU Update notifications for me. Just happened to stumble onto this thread. Still on 3.5.1.

I also had all those auto process problems so I'll install and see if that fixes the auto processing.

• Tracy

We are still seeing all feeds broken unless the user has their time zone set to UTC-0. We are also still unable to process all feeds manually by checking them all using the select all check box and then using the process button, we have to literally process each feed one by one by one.

• Tracy

Barry: If you can explain how to use the feed checks, I will take a look. When I turn it on for a single blog and then go to the Network Admin section, nothing happens. What blog should this be turned on for? What should we be seeing?

• msaizan

10-4. when I turn it on for a single blog and go to the network admin section, nothing there...nothing happens. I am not seeing anything different from previous versions. nothing there to configure in other words...

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@msaizan -

I've also added some options to the config.php file, they are commented just above each entry so have a look, you can now control most aspects from there.
    Ones to test on your installs would be setting AUTOBLOG_FORCE_PROCESS_ALL to true first and see if that does anything to get the feeds processing again, and then test the AUTOBLOG_PROCESS_EVERY_PAGE_LOAD one to get rid of a chunk of the timestamp checking.

@trace - If you activate the add-on on one of the sites - if you can then your main site (which is how I've been testing it), then go to the network admin area and list your feeds you should see an extra column:

• msaizan

the feedcheck column is not there. I have activated the feedcheck option but the feedcheck column is not displaying in either the single blog list or in the list in the network admin section.

I will dig into the config.php file and try the commenting that you have suggested.

The last thing I see in the rows is "next check". I will see if i can get you a screenshot.

• msaizan

what i am saying is...if i go into "edit feeds" on a single site...the feedcheck column is not displaying even though I have activated that option. and if I go to the feedlist on the network admin side of things - it's not there either.

• msaizan

just activated the feedcheck add- on on the main site (multi-site install) - the extra column now shows up in the network admin list -the extra column "feed check" is now there - it displays. Seems that you have to activate the add on from the main site for this to work. Now that the extra column is displaying.. I am seeing this message" Problem" in red font - for every feed in the list. So how do I check out what the "problem" is?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@msaizan - that means there is a conflict between the blog_id's stored in the table. Can you try the following and see if it fixes things on one feed.
    1. Click Edit on the feed
    2. Check that the "Add posts to" target is correct.
    3. Click Update Feed.

This should set the feed status to Ok and fingers-crossed get things moving again, or at least be one of the steps towards getting things moving again.

• msaizan

ok - i went through steps 1,2 & 3 and the test feed is showing as "ok" now. I reset the time zone for that target back to the correct timezone - Chicago (CDT) because the feed has been processing when set to UTC-0. I will monitor to see if the feed starts auto processing correctly in the CDT timezone and i will post back here.

• msaizan

set both to TRUE - is this correct?

CODE BELOW THIS LINE:

// In a multisite install will attempt to process feeds for all sites rather than just local ones
    if(!defined('AUTOBLOG_FORCE_PROCESS_ALL')) define( 'AUTOBLOG_FORCE_PROCESS_ALL', true);

// Will check for feeds to process on every page load rather than using the limit defined above
    if(!defined('AUTOBLOG_PROCESS_EVERY_PAGE_LOAD')) define( 'AUTOBLOG_PROCESS_EVERY_PAGE_LOAD', true);
    ?>

• Tracy

Ok, realized you have to turn feed checks on in the MAIN blog / site for it to work. All feedcheck columns are green.

Feeds process when AUTOBLOG_FORCE_PROCESS_ALL is set to true. Can you clarify what this is doing? Not sure what a local vs non-local site is.
    ( // In a multisite install will attempt to process feeds for all sites rather than just local ones )

Also, not sure if this is relevant, all sites on our install using Auto Blog are pulling the same feed, which is an unmapped domain on the same install at blogwithfeed.domainname.com/feed/ .... not sure if this is relevant or not since it is not pulling a feed from an outside blog like say, cnn.com ....

• msaizan

I am going to try one more time with ONLY ' AUTOBLOG_FORCE_PROCESS_ALL' set to true. I think the test feed just hasn't had any new content - i got busy this afternoon though and couldn't stay on top of the logs. so i will watch the logs really carefully. will check back here.

• Tracy

We're seeing some weird behavior. We post one blog post in our source blog per day, which all of our clients have set up as a feed to import using autoblog. All clients are also set to import the feed using the "original post date", not the current date in the "set the date for new posts" section and are using UTC-7 in the general settings section of their site.

I noticed that yesterday our daily blog post was processed by all blogs and imported, but the date was wrong, it was 8/12, not 8/11. It turns out this occurred because I posted it at 18:15 on 8/11, and all the importing sites imported it and but added 7 hours to the time of the post making the import time 01:15 on 8/12, even though all were on identical time zones.

For example: When I look at the post for today that we published, the source blog where the original post was maded (UTC-7 time zone) shows a post time of 11:18 and blog importing the feed that ( UTC-7) shows the time stamp of 18:18, exactly 7 hours later despite being on the same time zone ...

Any feedback appreciated!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

At the moment I can't duplicate it, I've had it running on my test site since 3.5.4 was released with a number of feeds and am still getting all tags imported and correct timezones now.

Can you email through a couple of the feeds you see the most trouble with and I can put them in and see if I can spot anything then?

• Tracy

Every site on our install is importing the same feed, which is coming from a site on the same install. Are you testing with feeds that are coming from external WP installs or with feeds coming from a site on the same install as the site that is importing it?

What email can I email the feed to?

• msaizan

Just a heads up. I have re-activated all my feeds so I have about 40+ feeds running on a single site in a multi-site install. For the most part I do have tags coming in. It's just one or two feeds that aren't adding tags - so I am thinking it has to do with the feeds themselves and not the plugin. Sometimes I am seeing duplicate content coming through the same feed - but again, I think it could be an issue with the feed itself. The bigger thing right now is I am still seeing the feeds running rather sluggish and a few are stuck. They aren't processing according to the timetable that I have assigned and a few do not process at all. I am going to re-set a cron job to see if can't speed things up. and I am also going to change AUTOBLOG_PROCESS_EVERY_PAGE_LOAD') to true - monitor that with all the feeds activated. I will do this one at a time - set every page load to true first - watch that for a while - and then re-set to false and try adding a cron job...i will report back here.

• Tracy

This is what I've figured out. If source feed blog is set to UTC-3 and it posts a blog at 12:00, other blogs on the install will show an import time of 15:00. Similarly, If source feed blog is set to UTC-7 and it posts a blog at 12:00, other blogs on the install will show an import time of 19:00..... So the source blog's time zone settings is what is determining how far off the importing feeds' times will be.

This means that if the source feed blog that is exporting the feed and the importing blog are both set at UTC-7 and the source blog posts a blog post at 12:00, the importing blog will STILL import the post with a time of 19:00 .....

If I import a feed from an external WP install on same server with UTC-6 at 12:00, the importing blog will show 18:00, so I can replicate the issue with external feeds as well.

Regarding tags, those just stopped working with latest version of autoblog, it worked in previous version.

• msaizan

feeds are moving aggressively when 'EVERY PAGE LOAD' is also set to TRUE.

but....i have got major duplications...like sometimes seven or more duplications of the same post content per turn.

what would be causing the feed content to duplicate? and is there anything I can do about that on my end?

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

Unfortunately, I stopped upgrading my autoblogs plugin. I never was able to get it to import the feeds with any version higher than 3.5.x and this thread is showing that I'm not the only one.

Not sure where this plugin went wrong, but I rolled back to version 3.4.1 and now my blog feeds are updating properly and on time. The features that are getting added in are nice, but if the core functionality causes headaches, I'll opt for a simpler version.

• msaizan

Barry - oddly enough... I don't have a custom fields/meta area! I am on Pagelines framework - (Platform Pro) and strangely there is no custom fields block in the post editor! I never noticed that before - i guess because i just haven't needed it - anyhoo seems like it disappeared in one of the theme upgrades. verrry odd.

• msaizan

disregard "bleeding issue". isolated the spillover issue.it only happened on 8/10/2011 - that was the day you had Tracy and I activate the feedcheck option. apparently the feed was pointing temporarily to the wrong target. whew.

• Me
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm having problems with autoblog. My feeds are just disappearing.

I set them up, they work as they should but if I edit and save they decide to disappear. I then go through the same process of setting them up again and occasionally they just disappear. Is very frustrating... Can you help?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @Me,

Welcome to WPMU DEV! This thread's gotten rather long and I'm worried your question is getting over-looked. Can you start up a new thread on this issue?

I'm also gonna go ahead and 'unsticky' this thread. If you are having any trouble just start up a new thread and we'll take a look.

Thanks everyone!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.