Autoblog 404 on update

Using Autoblog on two sub blogs. When autoblog imports the permalinks break and thus create 404s. If I go to Permalinks in the admin and update them (no change, just click "save changes") then permalinks work again until the next import.

If no data is imported on process then it continues to work. It is only Permalinks for the article page, all other pages and categories continue to function.

Anyone else noticed this issue?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hmm - I'll check and confirm but I don't think autoblog changes the permalinks itself at-all and it just uses the standard WP insert post functions when importing - so that seems a bit strange.

I've not had it happen to me yet, and I've got it running locally importing all my tweets all the time.
    Is it for all your feeds, or can you narrow it down? Does it happen all the time? When auto run, or manually processed or both?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

It happens on two different feeds at least, the rest are not so frequent.

It does appear to happen everytime, I only became aware of it by a Facebook user (We syndicate the content to FB pages), I corrected it and then another FB user notified me again which I fixed again and so I tested it with the same result.

I've only tested auto, I did try to process all the feeds but there wasn't anything from those sites. I will create a test feed from one of my sandboxes and see.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Doesn't seem to do it on manual process on my sandbox install. I've set a auto one running.

I thought would ask first if anyone else had any issues before going in to test everything.

I see the plugin has a debug mode, could it find any issues with this? perhaps conflicts some even?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Doesn't do it when you manually process, if you leave it to auto process and the feed has nothing to import all continues fine. If it imports something then it messes the permalinks for all posts on the blog. So far I've only seen imports from the BBC and so I'm not sure if it is their feed or all feeds.

To test I will disable their feed and leave another one going.

If it still messes up then I guess I will need to replicate the whole install into sandbox so that I can disable plugins and such to test further....

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Does it on other feeds as well but only when it goes through auto, if you manually process then it works and the permalinks are fine. Auto and the permalinks break until you go in and save the permalinks again.

Seems OK on my sandbox (not total replica yet) so it must be a conflict somewhere. Guess I'll have to investigate further..... :'-(

No one else had this then?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I took a clean sandbox install and copied all the plugins and themes, tried to make it exact but still struggling to pin point this one, because it only happens on auto updates, I'm waiting between updates or editing the db to bring up time forward.

Time consuming and still unsure, lol.

I will most likely wait until late one night, early morning to disable everything on the main site to test, I must be missing some variable here.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Tim,

Thanks for trying to pinpoint that. I haven't experienced any troubles with imports breaking permalinks myself but would be happy to get to the bottom of this one. :slight_smile:

Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try and replicate and I'll see about getting that done to help out.

Thanks,
    David

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Tim,

Sounds like you're busy at the moment - haven't seen you around here as much! You might say we miss ya :wink:

We really need to see about sorting this, huh? Have you had a go at disabling feedpress to see if it is a conflict?

Feel free to send over login details through the contact form and I'm sure we'll all chip in and have a look with you.

Phil

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Thanks Phil.

Yeah been rather hectic. After years of trying and no IVF the wife is now pregnant. I had an on going legal battle regarding a conviction of driving with no insurance, I won and was found not guilty and so now I'm pursuing my previous insurance company for incompetence. A few new clients and we've also building some offices on my property which is rather time consuming considering I'm to tight to pay anyone, lol.

I haven't tested without Feedpress yet, only just noticed it was on. I'm trying to find some time to test that.

David got back to me and said he would forward you the email I think, or something to that degree. Once I get some more time I will be following all this up properly. I was hoping to this week but it seems to have gone by far to quickly. :slight_frown:

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Wow, that's a lot to deal with! Congratulations on the pregnancy especially and the legal battle!

I've just seen the e-mail from David so thanks for that. I think that was more to do with the Q&A issue though so I'll look into that now.

Let us know when you get chance to test without feedwordpress. Of course, if you're happy to send login details through I could do that for you.

Phil

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Thanks Phil!

Just had a chance to take a peek. Got rid of feedpress and let Autoblog do an auto update. All seems well so far.

I'll keep watching it over the coming days. Just updated a few other plugins and WP as well.

I'll close the ticket for now unless it happens again. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.