[Autoblog] Autoblog not importing images

Hi,
Autoblog is not importing images. I tried with both activated add-ons "Featured Image Import" and "Image Import" and with 2 different feeds with no luck.
Can you help me?
Support access granted :wink:

Best Regards

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Arom77

I hope you're well today!

I checked both feeds and the case is:

1. The "Nordpresse" feed doesn't seem to contain any images

The Autoblog plugin can only fetch and publish what is included in the feed itself. It doesn't "scrape" the target site to extract and get content (text or images) from there. Therefore, if there's no image in the feed, there's no way to get it. In this particular feed (at least in items currently available in it) there's no images.

2. The "La Gorafi" feed

This is a bit different story but it's also "because of the feed". There are images but instead of putting them either in feed item content or using standard RSS tags, it's using image tags withing custom rss tags. That's quite an non-standard solution and I didn't see it in feeds before.

I assume you don't have access to these feeds to change the way feeds are generated, right? In case of such feeds sometimes using a "middleman" helps but I tried to run that feed through a Feedburner and it doesn't recognize those images as well.

Adjusting that in Autoblog would require additional custom development including serious code changes. It's possible that it would also require some additional code to affect how SimplePie parses the feed too (SimplePie is a feed-parsing library that's used by WordPress, Autoblog is using native WP routines to fetch feeds). Taking that into account, I'm afraid I don't see any easy way out of this.

I've asked our developers if they could look into it and perhaps some additional piece of code that could help here but please note that their response time might be longer than ours here on support forum as they are dealing with a lot of complex stuff on daily basis.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hi Arom77 sorry for the late reply but we've been quite busy lately :slight_smile: .

I've attached a .zip that has an cacheandfeatureimages.php inside that will help you achieve the custom featured images with the XML feed you provided us.

To install:
    0] IMPORTANT: always keep a backup before proceeding with custom changes.
    1] Download the .zip and extract it to find the .php file.
    2 ] Navigate to your sites files at "wp-content\plugins\autoblog\autoblogincludes\addons"
    3] Make a backup of the existing cacheandfeatureimages.php ( i.e. rename it to backup_cacheandfeatureimages.php ).
    4] Upload the .php file that you've found in the .zip.
    5] In your Feed settings you will now find a new option in "Featured Image Importing" called "Use custom:largethumbnail tag of a feed item". Select that for this particular feed.

Any feed item that has this tag now will also get it's Featured Image imported properly.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.