Autoblog doesn't work right in plugins, activates on all sites in mu

I posted this question in another thread on Dec. 8,( https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/auto-blog-turned-on-by-default-on-all-blogs), but haven't heard back and thought maybe the thread was dead. So here is my question again.

When I installed Autoblog as indicated (in mu-plugins), it showed up in the dashboard of ALL the blogs in the network. What I'm reading here though is that it should be just on the main blog, which can use autoblog to feed to the other blogs. I've read in a different thread that perhaps I'm supposed to install in plugins and not mu-plugins. But when I do that it indicates there are errors even though it seems to work.

My issue is that when its installed on MU all blog owners have the option to use it, which if I read correctly isn't supposed to happen (and I don't want except as an upgrade).

I'd also like to know if the autoblog plugin will ever be modified so that it can be used with supporter as an upgrade option?

Thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

When I installed Autoblog as indicated (in mu-plugins), it showed up in the dashboard of ALL the blogs in the network.

Yes, it should be installed in the plugins directory not mu-plugins

But when I do that it indicates there are errors even though it seems to work.

You have to place it in an autoblog directory, not in the root of the plugins directory.

My issue is that when its installed on MU all blog owners have the option to use it, which if I read correctly isn't supposed to happen (and I don't want except as an upgrade).

See first answer above - it isn't supposed to activated on more than one blog (the main one that controls the feeds).

• Tracy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

You need to upload one single folder containing autoblog.php and the /autoblogincludes/ folder to the plugins folder, if you upload them separately / one at a time, the errors will occur. Sorry to see you struggling through this like I did, but it will keep happening over and over since this issue with documentation was pointed out around two months ago and hasn't been resolved: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/auto-blog-turned-on-by-default-on-all-blogs.

WMPUDEV can do better. Please put some resources into responding to issues and updating documentation. ltruex started trying to figure this out over two weeks ago in this thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/auto-blog-turned-on-by-default-on-all-blogs. Note the response times and the lack of updating documentation that was noted two months ago. I'm psyched that you guys are aggressive in starting new ventures on a regular basis, but it's a bummer when it comes at the expense of support for existing clients.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Tracy,

Thanks for your feedback. You've made 2 points I'd like to respond to directly.

1. The forum thread from 2 weeks ago with no response - This was an old thread and we currently don't have a great solution for tracking posts on old threads. They very often get over-looked unless someone is actively monitoring that particular thread or online when the post comes through.

In the recent thread on forum improvements this was discussed and soon, we'll be marking threads as 'resolved' and in other ways to improve this kind of problem and keep these oversights from happening.

2. Plugin documentation is out of date. You'll notice that the documentation has been correctly updated here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/autoblog/installation/ It does also need to be updated in the plugin for download and this appears to have been overlooked. I'll let the developers know so they can get the download fixed correctly.

@Itruex, please let us know if you have any further issues. We're continually working to streamline our plugins install and update process. Along with the forum improvements listed above things will continue to get smoother around here.

Thanks!

• ltruex
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks again. The only issue about not monitoring older threads is that in my experience, new questions are often directed to answers on older threads. I wanted moderators/support to know I'd tried to find the answer and posted in the most appropriate thread.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.