Autoblog excerpts not pulled from feed

Excerpts are not being pulled from the feed. How can I make it work? I tried searching for this, but could not get it.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Stuart

I hope you're fine today!

I checked the feed itself and the feed settings on your site and just to make sure that we're on the same side, I also checked your chat. The issue is that the feed in question is set to "User Full Post".

That's the setting that pulls the "content" tag value from the feed and posts that entire content as a post. It will not put it to the "excerpt" field on site (if there is such option available), though. It puts it into a content part of the post.

You could set the feed to "User Excerpt" (in "Post excerpts" section of feed configuration) and then set below it how long the excerpt should be (for example 25 words). In that case Autoblog would pull the very same content but then trim it to the set length and post it the same way to the site. So, it would be shorter (and excerpt of available content) and it can also be given automatically a link back to an original source.

However, it's not possible to use them both at the same time. If a feed contains both "excerpt" and "content" (e.g. as "description" and "content" feed items) they cannot be fetched and posted both. It's either one or another and if it's set to "excerpt" the excerpt would be automatically created out of available feed item content.

Changing that would require serious customization of the plugin itself and that would mean a lot of custom coding. If you need that kind of customization to be done for you, please consider posting a job request on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

There is another solution, though. If your theme supports it and is set to display only excerpts on post list then the feed can be fetched with "Use Full Post" setting and an excerpt would be created (and displayed) out of it automatically by WP. That, however, requires your theme to support and use excerpts on a posts lists.

If you have any further questions (or I misunderstood you), let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.