Autoblog: How to import featured thumbnail

How can I get the featured post thumbnail from posts that are imported using the Autoblog plugin? Presently, no combination of settings within the plugin seems to enable this. Thank you!

• artcomp123
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

My apologies for the delay, I don't get email notifications of replies for some reason.

Yes each post has a featured wp thumb. However, I'm using the feedburner feed instead of the wordpress feed at example.com/feed/

Incidentally, Autoblog is also not processing any new posts for several days now.

How can I submit url / wordpress info without it being public on this forum? Thank you!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings artcomp123,

I received your email and today I dug into this with two different lead developers to see what it would take to make this happen.

One approach would be as follows:

1) Auto-Blog imports articles
    2) custom code then goes through each article, and fetches its HTML
    3) custom code digs through all the tags until it reaches OG image meta
    4) when and if it does, it sets it as the post thumbnail

and more:

To map OpenGraph image tags as post thumbnails. Plus, there are some possible difficulties to overcome - the custom code would have to use some sort of HTML parser, there's a decent one we use in Status/Activity Plus that could be handy although, since it's just one tag, a regex match might work too.

This certainly falls heavily into the realm of custom coding as the developers have confirmed in our chats today.

You could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

You could also make a feature request too as a possibility, make plugin and feature requests here:
    http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/

The more popular a request is and the more votes it gets, the more likely it will be considered.

It might have already been suggested. It is worth a quick search to add your votes before submitting a new suggestion.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• artcomp123
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi @playhays, at first I was using a parser, and setting that as thumb, which works globally, but trips if there are no images in the feed for a post. But this was ultimately overkill, and if you *know* there will be at least one image in a post, you can just internally set the thumb within the loop, almost exactly like this plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/auto-post-thumbnail/

to run after the Autoblog plugin does its' magic.

(Slightly different for custom post types,
    but you can just append with a get_the_terms (); in many cases)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings playhays,

This is automated using the add-on feature in Autoblog itself.

While logged into the admin dashboard go to Autoblog --> Add-ons --> Import images --> activate

Imports any images in a post to the media library and attaches them to the imported post.

Cheers, Joe

• playhays
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi @playhays, at first I was using a parser, and setting that as thumb, which works globally, but trips if there are no images in the feed for a post. But this was ultimately overkill, and if you *know* there will be at least one image in a post, you can just internally set the thumb within the loop, almost exactly like this plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/auto-post-thumbnail/

to run after the Autoblog plugin does its' magic.

(Slightly different for custom post types,
    but you can just append with a get_the_terms (); in many cases)

How do I internally set the thumb within the loop? "(Slightly different for custom post types,
    but you can just append with a get_the_terms (); in many cases)"

I am just using posts, but I don't understand what you mean here.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.