Autoblog question

Can someone explain to me how the Autoblog plugin updates? I used similar plugins that make use of cronjobs but I could not find any reference to this in the documentation, yet it is set to refresh every hour. Will it automatically do this?

Thank you!

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@eskae - it is dependent on traffic to your website. If you have pretty regular traffic then the timings will be as close to your settings as the plugin can possibly get, if you have fairly irregular traffic to your site then the plugin will always be playing catch-up (so to speak) and will grab the data from the feeds as and when someone visits your site.

You can set up a server based cronjob to ensure that the autoblog plugin processes at regular intervals if it is vitally important that the information is pulled in at the specific periods.

• Johan
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I hope the question of mine is related.

I experimenting with a local online newspaper idea.

The articles are saved as drafts so that I can change what needs to be changed, like categories,tags and headlines.

I have noticed that the feed does not update as I was expecting it to update.

Is this related to the above

grab the data from the feeds as and when someone visits your site.

I hope I am understanding this incorrectly as I need to have the feed updated every 30 mins regardless of visitors.

If this is the case how do I get the feed to update?

Thanks

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I hope I am understanding this incorrectly as I need to have the feed updated every 30 mins regardless of visitors.

Not sure whether you think you will get more than or less than a visitor every 30 minutes but:

If you think you will get less than 1 visitor every 30 minutes -
    In which case you need to set up a server side cron job that requests your home page (or some other page on your site) a minimum of once every 30 minutes. This will ensure that your site is accessed a minimum of once per 30 minutes.

If you think you will get more than 1 visitor every 30 minutes -
    You don't need to worry about autoblog hitting the site you are pulling feeds from more than the time limit set for the feed - it knows what time it is supposed to read the feed next.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.