Automate – Backup to Amazon S3

Was wondering if it’s possible when using Automate with backup prior to updating to have the backup files go to our Amazon S3 storage or do we have to use WPMU DEV’s storage? Please consider this as a feature request.

• MarketSpark
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I asked this very question via live chat this morning (with the hope I could backup to Google Drive). Right now, Automate only uses the WPMU Managed Storage option.

What I’ve decided to do in the meantime is continue using Google Drive for daily/weekly backups, but enable Managed Backups solely for use with Automate. If everything works as it should, Automate will use WPMU’s Managed Storage to backup the site (and only store ONE archive) before automatically updating the site. With about 70 sites using Automate and Managed Storage, I’m trying to keep everything under the 10GB limit (not paying for additional storage at WPMU when I get unlimited at Google).

By tomorrow, I should know if it’s working as expected…

• William
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I’ve tried what you have set up and for the most part it does work, however the issue I ran into was the plugin keeps creating a scheduled backup to run weekly at 1:00 am. If the plugin wouldn’t create a scheduled backup, that I would need to manually cancel, this would be the solution I would consider until they decide to allow this feature to work with 3rd party storage.

• William
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

As a follow up, I had everything configured the same as SynaVista but after the backup ran prior to updating the plugins, it has now set itself to backup weekly at 1:00 am. Now the question is if I have the backup set to keep only 1 archive and the scheduled backup is set to run weekly or monthly is it the week or month from the last backup will it run or does it set a date somewhere to run?

• MarketSpark
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Now that my settings have had a chance to be tested, mine too have enabled scheduled backups on their own (at 9 PM daily). I suppose I can live with this, but it would definitely be preferable for the backups to ONLY run when Automate runs updates, rather than every day (since I’m running my own daily/weekly backups to Google Drive).

• Zac
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

+1

This is a much needed feature. Please allow us to trigger Snapshot Pro’s backup locations remote or local before we run updates.

This would be the consumer friendly way to go about the new Automate feature.

Thanks you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.