Automate backups

Hi, is there a way to automate backups, daily, weekly, etc? If not can that be added?

Thanks, Susan

• bynon

Susan,

It's best done using a cron job at the server/hosting level. Here's what I do:

1. Weekly cron job that creates a tar image of all files in my www folder.
    2. Daily cron job that creates a tar file with updates since the last full backup (#1)
    3. Daily cron job that dumps the mysql database

The output of all of my cron jobs is a remote 250GB ftp server. I keep everything for a rolling 30 day period.

I'm transitioning to a cloud-based service that will allow me to create snapshots of an entire storage unit. This allows for a much faster restore in the event of a catastrophe. However, you still need to do file and database level backups in the event an individual blog owner has a disaster.

David

• Timothy Bowers

Hey imaginetek.

At the moment it isn't possible sorry. The plugin is designed as a way to create snapshots whilst in development. Of course it works well for DB backups as well. :slight_smile:

For dealing with larger installs it would be much better to take backups through your cPanel or which ever panel you use. Its also worth considering something like rsync, but that gets complex.

The problem comes when dealing with large DBs, you see PHP has memory and execution limits. They can be changed but it would eventually be over kill using PHP to process it.

There are internal discussions at the moment about the best way to handle this and automate them, incremental backups could be a option for example.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.