Automate has issues with updating WPML plugin

Automate is having trouble with updating the plugin 'WPML Translation Management' on multiple sites.
I've updated the plugin on one of the sites with the issue to test if it was totally impossible to update it. It was updated successfully when doing it manually (via The Hub).

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Dominique,

I'm currently in the process of testing that, if I will be able to replicate, but it will take a while as WPML is not triggering that it needs updates.
    I will update you about the results of the test as soon it will be over.

In the meantime I checked your site where update was not done with Automate, but it seems that plugin is updated now. Have you updated it from HUB? Do you recall from which version you were updating plugin?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dominique
    • Recruit

Hi Kasia,

I'm not sure at what version the plugin was. Indeed, it's been updated and this was done by Automate, not by me (or The Hub).

The exact same problem now also appeared with Updraft Plus on another site (charart.nl), I've updated the plugin myself already, but also opened up support on this site so you could investigate further if needed.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Dominique,

Indeed, it's been updated and this was done by Automate, not by me (or The Hub).

I can see in logs that another automate run updated plugin correctly - I was able to replicate this issue also on my site and I'm talking with developer what could be the problem. I will also wait for second round of automate updates to see if this will also update it on my site.

I've updated the plugin myself already, but also opened up support on this site so you could investigate further if needed.

To be sure - alert for Updraft update shows in HUB and you updated it from HUB?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dominique
    • Recruit

Just noticed this: Automate disables updating of plugins where the process has failed multiple times. That's why I thought Automate didn't see a update anymore.

I guess disabling updates for a troubling plugin is a good idea, but not when the accompanying error message ("plugin at latest version":wink: has occured.

• Dominique
    • Recruit

Hi Kasia,

Just to be clear: on every site where I use WPML, Updraft Plus and/or add-ons for Gravity Forms, the problems occur. On none of these sites the updates are executed by Automate. Here's a list.

WPML (WPML String Translation, WPML Multilingual CMS or WPML Media):
    dynamo-eindhoven.nl
    eucord.org
    mijndoelenstellen.nl

Updraft Plus:
    brigittekoch.nl
    charart.nl
    leesberglandschapsadviezen.nl
    ntvd.media
    stichtingcubus.nl
    wearefood.nl

Gravity Forms addon (User Registration or :
    agro-chemie.nl
    agro-chemistry.com
    ntvd.media
    the-urbanites.nl

• Dominique
    • Recruit

There's no changes in this so far. Obviously this is not really surprising since there's no message from your side.

Annoying thing is that I have to enable Automate updates for all affected plugins again and again, since Automate automatically deactivates the updates if it fails too many times.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Dominique,

We are still checking this issue. There is problem that issue occurs irregularly (most probably because premium plugins that hook into updates system sometimes don’t do it so well, so the available updates stored locally can appear and disappear intermittently). But I've send message to developers again about the problem and I'm waiting for the feedback.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dominique
    • Recruit

Hi,

It's been a month since the last update. Are there any new developments regarding this problem?

By the way, I think the title of this issue should be updated to something like 'Automate and The Hub have issues with updating premium addons', since this problem isn't limited to Automate.

Also, in the opening post it's said that updating the plugin manually via The Hub does work, but this isn't the case for Gravity Forms (add-ons) and UpdraftPlus (the actual (premium) plugin).

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hello Dominique,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

This is an issue which our developers are aware of which occurs in the Hub/Automate, and they are presently working on making it more efficient when it comes to premium plugins/theme updates.

It isn't a bug within the Hub, or Automate side, but more related to how these premium plugins/add-ons behaves when it comes to their update routines. This is something which the developers are currently looking to improve, at the moment I'm afraid, we don't have any update regarding the status of the issue.

Also, in the opening post it's said that updating the plugin manually via The Hub does work, but this isn't the case for Gravity Forms (add-ons) and UpdraftPlus (the actual (premium) plugin).

The initial reply was the test performed regarding WPML plugin, the results does vary from one premium plugin to another, I'll bring your observation to our developer, and will keep you posted one I get a feedback regarding the status of this asap.

Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Dominique
    • Recruit

It's been a while, but I'm stumbling upon this problem again.

UpdraftPlus Premium is still not being updated by The Hub, Automate fails and when trying to update it manually, there's an 'Update failed'-message as well. So no changes there.

At first sight it looks like the problem with WPML is gone, since The Hub is not showing any updates for this plugin and it's extension-plugins:

But, when logging in at the Dashboard of the same site, it's becoming clear that there's plenty of updates...

So of course I'm wondering: is WPMU Dev now deliberately hiding updates for WPML in The Hub, to hide the inability to update these plugins? I hope not, but I can't see another explanation at this moment.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Dominique,

Can you open access to sites where WPML and Updraft are failing?
    I can assure you that we are not hiding anything - I actually made a test just now, to see if HUB will show (or not) if there are updates of WPML plugins and it shows them on my site without any problem:
    Site:

HUB:

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Dominique
    • Recruit

The developer of UpdraftPlus asks the following about The Hub, could you clear this up for me?

The UpdraftPlus automatic updates are triggered by a hook in the standard WordPress update mechanism (such as ‘admin_action_upgrade-plugin’).

I’m afraid that I am not very familiar with inner workings of the plugin you are using. Could you ask the Developers or their support if it uses the standard WordPress update mechanism to perform remote updates?

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Dominique,

I checking this on my site and I can't replicate :slight_frown: I have WPML installed and every update is showing: on site, on HUB.

Can you send us details to the exact site using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Kasia Swiderska"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Please confirm here that you send those credentials

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Ariane
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

hi,
    I have got the same issue on several sites with WPML, according to the hub there are no updates but when you go to the backend of the websites using WPML there are multiple updates.
    It's been going on for some time this year, would be great if it can be solved.
    Regards,
    Ariane

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Ariane,

The developers are working on fixes, and patches in the next release of WPMU DEV Dashboard, which should help with resolving such update issues in the Hub side. Hopefully the next release should be able to resolve such anomalies down the road.

At the moment, I'm afraid, I don't have an exact ETA on when the next release of WPMU DEV Dashboard is slated for, once the plugin have been tested out extensively it should be made available asap.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Dominique
    • Recruit

An updated version of the list of plugins that won't update:
    - WPML (WPML String Translation, WPML Multilingual CMS or WPML Media)
    - Updraft Plus
    - Gravity Forms addon (User Registration-addon)
    - The Events Calendar-addons (Event Tickets Plus & Events Calendar Pro)

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Guys,

Dominique Seems like the credentials shared for the last site has all the plugins up to date. I could notice premium plugins listed in the Hub, which needs pending updates.

Could you guys please enable support access to couple of websites, where the updates are still pending, so that we could give a closer look at the sites at both dashboard, and compare it within the Hub side.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once support access is enabled, so that we could give a look at.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for listing out the sites. I could notice the 1st 2 sites listed doesn't shown update available in the Hub, however in the 3rd site link, it does shown an update listed in Hub.

Could you please try creating a new automate for the voltaconsultants.com site, and see whether that makes any difference.

I'm bringing this into our developers attention again to see what's being missed. Will keep you posted once I get further feedback regarding this asap.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Dominique
      • Recruit

Hi Nithin,

What do you mean by 'create a new Automate' for voltaconsultants.com? Automate is already configured to run every monday morning.

And since it's monday morning: it ran again. And all WPML-plugins haven't been updated. And no mention of it in the logs:

Also, I can see pending updates for WPML plugins in The Hub for moerings.nl and stema-systems.nl as well. So, I can see updates for all three sites.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Dominique,

Sorry for not being clear, I meant whether creating a new automate by disabling, and activating it helps, or not.

However, I have brought this our developers attention, and they could notice anomalies regarding this, as you have pointed. The current release of WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin has fixes for updater class so such issues could be resolved, however it seems like it isn't working expected for all premium plugins like WPML

Our developers are currently testing this further, and looking to implement code workaround regarding this. Will keep you updated once we have a patch regarding this issues asap.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Dominique
    • Recruit

Hi there, another one for the list of plugins not updating through Automate: WP All Import - ACF Add-On.

So the list is now:
    - WPML (WPML String Translation, WPML Multilingual CMS or WPML Media)
    - Updraft Plus
    - Gravity Forms addon (User Registration-addon)
    - The Events Calendar-addons (Event Tickets Plus & Events Calendar Pro)
    - WP All Import (ACF Add-On)

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Dominique ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Thanks for sending us the details about your test site in the other topic. I gave a look on the site and was able to see some errors in the updates, even using the default Update option from WordPress (see image attached). I suppose they need an API connection or something?

Regarding to:

- Gravity Forms MailChimp Add-on;
    - Gravity Forms User Registration add-on;
    - WP All Import;
    - WP All Import - WooCommerce Add-On Pro;

These plugins can be properly updated so our developers can give a look and try improve Automate feature.

Cheers, Luís

• Dominique
      • Recruit

Hi,

Currently there are 5 updates for WPML-addons available, which aren't being installed through Automate. I've tested if WordPress is able to update the plugins, which is the case. I've restored a Snapshot backup which I made beforehand.

Maybe Automate will update the plugins in a new run, but it didn't on the first time.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.